• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade deadline/Playoff push

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
felix is certainly a shell of what he used to be ... the stuff he is throwing now is junk.

i'm not even sure he could be very effective coming out of the bullpen but what do you do with a guy that is still making that much money?
I can't see Felix going to the pen. Getting DLed seems like it would be a more likely scenario. What he really needs to do is accept his new reality (realize he is no longer a power pitcher with a 11mph differentiation between his fastball and changeup) and learn how to pitch like Gonzalez, LeBlanc and Leake do.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't see Felix going to the pen. Getting DLed seems like it would be a more likely scenario. What he really needs to do is accept his new reality (realize he is no longer a power pitcher with a 11mph differentiation between his fastball and changeup) and learn how to pitch like Gonzalez, LeBlanc and Leake do.

yep, he needs a transformation. he doesn't have the power or movement anymore.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep, he needs a transformation. he doesn't have the power or movement anymore.

He actually still has movement, but hasn't been able to figure out how to be consistent throwing at a lower velocity.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been as frustrated about Felix as everyone else, but also haven't been willing to write him off. I've said all year he has the tools if he can adjust mentally and it sure feels like he has been making some progress toward that this month.

Mel was on the radio talking about the staff yesterday and pretty much spelled out what everyone already knew. In the two recent starts where Felix has pitched well he's under 35% fast balls and his approach has been more what he needs to become. He did say that a couple of his off nights had more to do with not having command of his fastball than pitch selection.

The more success he finds while featuring his off speed/breaking stuff, the more it reinforces his need to keep going down that road. It's better to walk a guy when he's behind in a count than to throw a predictable FB in a bad location and take that damage. He is learning that, but no one quite knows where his ceiling is with these changes.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harrison is solid. But I think they are set at middle infield. The upgrade would need to be at first base, RF, CF, or catcher.

My lineup would be:
2B Gordon
CF Starlin Marte
SS Segura
DH Cruz
RF Haniger
LF Span/Gamel
3B Seager
1B Healy
C Zunino

Marte will be available. Hard to say what the competition will be like to acquire him.

When Cano returns I'd put him at first base and hit him between Haniger and Span/Gamel.

Zunino is also a guy they need to think about moving but trading the starting catcher in the midst of a playoff push is probably a bad idea. Trade him in the off season. He'll be going through round two of arbitration this winter and will probably command at least $6 million. Do we really want to pay him that much?

Im ok with that, he grades out at about a top 5 defensive catcher, which alone is worth the 6 mill anything he can on the offensive side of the ball is a bonus imo

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB.com's Jon Paul Morosi reported Monday that the Mariners have shown interest in Blue Jays left-hander J.A. Happ, but a source indicated that Seattle is monitoring as many as a half-dozen starting pitchers in an effort to add an arm in the coming weeks.

"They're just combing the landscape right now," one evaluator said, though a second source said the Mariners seem intent on being "aggressive" when it comes to acquiring a starter.

The biggest obstacle might not be the lack of desirable arms on the market, but rather the lack of notable prospects. According to MLB Pipeline's most recent rankings, Seattle has only one player on the Top 100 Prospects list (outfielder Kyle Lewis, No. 60).

"Their farm system is very thin," the evaluator said. "There isn't much to trade there."

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been as frustrated about Felix as everyone else, but also haven't been willing to write him off. I've said all year he has the tools if he can adjust mentally and it sure feels like he has been making some progress toward that this month.

Mel was on the radio talking about the staff yesterday and pretty much spelled out what everyone already knew. In the two recent starts where Felix has pitched well he's under 35% fast balls and his approach has been more what he needs to become. He did say that a couple of his off nights had more to do with not having command of his fastball than pitch selection.

The more success he finds while featuring his off speed/breaking stuff, the more it reinforces his need to keep going down that road. It's better to walk a guy when he's behind in a count than to throw a predictable FB in a bad location and take that damage. He is learning that, but no one quite knows where his ceiling is with these changes.

If Felix is committed to making these changes, it'll take a full offseason to do it. Right know he's starting to figure out his off speed pitches with control makes his fast ball dangerous. Hope he stays on this course the rest of the season and then over winter really hammer on his off speed location. He can still be very productive if he wants too.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harrison is solid. But I think they are set at middle infield. The upgrade would need to be at first base, RF, CF, or catcher.

My lineup would be:
2B Gordon
CF Starlin Marte
SS Segura
DH Cruz
RF Haniger
LF Span/Gamel
3B Seager
1B Healy
C Zunino

Marte will be available. Hard to say what the competition will be like to acquire him.

When Cano returns I'd put him at first base and hit him between Haniger and Span/Gamel.

Zunino is also a guy they need to think about moving but trading the starting catcher in the midst of a playoff push is probably a bad idea. Trade him in the off season. He'll be going through round two of arbitration this winter and will probably command at least $6 million. Do we really want to pay him that much?

I don't think we have enough for Marte and that is why I left him out. I think he could be available especially with Meadows playing so well, but not sure we have what it takes for him...plus he is another PEDS guy so there is always that risk.

I would love to get Realmuto and thought trading them the Florida kid (Zunino) would make sense but then saw they are only a week different in age so not sure why Marlins would do it.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure I am on board with this. Zunino drives me crazy with his ABs at times yes but I really don't see how you can find a better option out there. He was tied for 3rd in Fwar for catchers last year behind only Sanchez and Posey.
He hasn't necessarily sustained that this year but is still a Top 10 catcher and think he will end the year in that category. Plus he's still an above average defensive catcher according to most metrics.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, even if Felix got on a roll it's not like his overall career experience has any playoff games in it either, so there's not a lot to point toward him having any more contribution than any of the others that also don't have playoff experience.

Didn't Felix kind of choke off a key game late in the season two years ago when they were still trying to fight for a playoff berth? Seems to me he's had issues late in the season before, more or less does he have the killer instinct and stamina to play solid playoff baseball.

Few expect leblanc to keep this up the rest of the way. He's 33 and doesn't have streaks like this anywhere else in his career. Maybe he's finally found something, or maybe he's just on a good roll and the pitcher he's been the rest of his career is destined to resurface.

Either way, they for sure need to find a way to add to the rotation. Someone will get injured in the second half and the arms left in Tacoma scare me.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I'd like to see is they trade for Happ then go to a 6 man rotation until September then ride which ever 4 starters are hot. Leake and Felix are the only pitchers who have gone as many innings as they are on track to right now and I think we all agree there are huge red flags with Felix.

One other thing a 6 man rotation can do is help you tweak with the rotation in order to allow Paxton to pitch the play in game. I hate the 6 man rotation idea but the Mariners it makes sense as the biggest question mark is the rotation but as they are pitching right now every single one (question on Felix) deserves to start for the Mariners.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My main problem is starting pitching was an issue before the season began and there where players out their to get. So the M's got none and now it's like ow shit they might make the playoff lets bring in someone to help the SP. No crap.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will trade them the best 3B this side of Yakima for him-

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sims just mentioned M's looking at Happ, Hamels, and Boyd from Detroit. I think Boyd is a local kid and young so I wouldn't mind him.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I always thought Felix was at his best as a contact pitcher and when they came out with the king's court crap it made him try harder to strike everyone out instead of trying to just get them out. He would then nibble outside the strike zone too much and waste tons of pitches.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But wouldn't he cost more than Happ would? I'd imagine Detroit would want real prospects back for Boyd as opposed to Toronto who will looking to unload the salary for the most part.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What I've noticed of late is the curve ball he's been throwing quite a bit for a first pitch strike to multiple batters... That's something we haven't seen in the past, which falls in line with your comments...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But wouldn't he cost more than Happ would? I'd imagine Detroit would want real prospects back for Boyd as opposed to Toronto who will looking to unload the salary for the most part.

I don't think so because of value of pitcher vs salary dump. Detroit pitcher is 27 and I probably at best a #3 SP so he won't cost half as much as Happ who is their #1 and most teams #2 SP. The Detroit pitcher has good stuff, but if you look at his stats he walks a ton of guys...but Still like him.