• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tony Sanchez

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Has been promoted to Indianapolis, I guess getting hot for 10 games is all the organization needed to see from the bat.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dejan Kovacevic
Also in Pittsburgh Pirates
For those who missed the Altoona Mirror report, Tony Sanchez is being brought up to Class AAA Indianapolis. That's a positive, obviously, for Sanchez and for the Pirates having invested a first-round pick in him. But I'll add this: From what I hear, management is just as interested in seeing more of Ramon Cabrera, who was getting -- unwisely -- stunted behind Sanchez. Kid won a batting title last year, strong defensively. No reason not to be playing.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds good, AA to AAA isn't a huge jump, so he should be fine there.

Makes sense they want to get Cabrera some ab's as well.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is kind of off-the-wall, but I wouldn't be surprised if Cabrera winds up having more impact in the majors than Sanchez. Having said that, I hope BOTH make it to the majors and contribute.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mags...to go on your point I wonder if they both show a good glove/defense if whoever shows better offense they try at another position?

As for the move it makes sense age wise Sanchez needs to be in AAA whereas Cabrera is younger and getting him starting AB's is good news at AA.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know this is kind of off-the-wall, but I wouldn't be surprised if Cabrera winds up having more impact in the majors than Sanchez. Having said that, I hope BOTH make it to the majors and contribute.

from what has transpired over the last several years, that is the unfortunate sense i get.
Cabrera is 1.5 years younger and a switch hitter.
sanchez's D seems average at best and not known for his game-calling.
cabrera's D - never heard anything one way or another.
this yr, sanchez better avg, walks, XBH.
cabrera been DH and probably not used to not playing a full game.
both had good A+ yrs then AA struggles. cabreras AA this yr in his first yr looks like sanchez's last year.

anyone know what kind of D cabrera has?

our biggest need - a catcher who can really hit, call a game, and keep people from moving around the bases. send a nice package and get one.
we will get the other positions(1B and SS) via FA or trades as they are more plentiful, relatively.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mags...to go on your point I wonder if they both show a good glove/defense if whoever shows better offense they try at another position?

As for the move it makes sense age wise Sanchez needs to be in AAA whereas Cabrera is younger and getting him starting AB's is good news at AA.

I've never seen Cabrera play, so my entire perspective is based upon hearsay and reviewing stats. I've read that he's decent on defense and I like the fact that he's a switch-hitter. It's true that his offense has dropped off so far this season..... which tends to reinforce the notion that the jump from A+ to AA is pretty significant. Perhaps playing in the field more will jump-start Cabrera's offense.

I agree with challenging Sanchez at the AAA level. Prior to this move, Eric Fryer has been getting the most playing time at catcher at Indianapolis, with Jose Morales fairly close behind Fryer..... and Kris Watts is at Indianapolis as well. Fryer has been VERY disappointing with the bat (.160/.217/.217/.434) so far in 2012. Meanwhile, Morales is a journeyman and Watts seems to be an organizational player..... so it wouldn't surprise me for Sanchez to move into the starter's role immediately and get most of the playing time at catcher for Indy.

ramburgh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Maybe the promotion to AAA will make Sanchez appear to be closer to "major league ready" when it comes time to make a trade to add a bat.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the promotion to AAA will make Sanchez appear to be closer to "major league ready" when it comes time to make a trade to add a bat.

Yea, I don't know, maybe 20 years ago, but there is so much information out there now, I don't think that type of stuff makes much of a difference anymore.