• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial Severe Weather in Nebraska Thread

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard on the radio this morning there was more damage from car accidents from people trying to get pictures of the tornado than actual damage from the tornado.

DB on the radio this morning said he picked his kids up from school in the middle of the tornado. sounded really classy, all the kids were huddled up because of the sirens and he was strutting around the school getting his kids out.
I retweeted this yesterday. So true.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was in Walgreens on 132nd & Maple when the emergency alert went off on my phone. It said "Tornado Warning In Your Area". The first thing that crossed my mind was "WTF is my area?"
I knew there were tornado watches in WSW Iowa (including Pottawattamie County), but wasn't aware of any here. I assumed they were referring to that being my "area".
As I was walking up to the register the whistles started blowing. The lady was confused herself but cashed me out. I walked out the door (facing south) and there was the funnel cloud in the direction of Blondo spinning right at me. I jumped in my truck and split towards Fort St. I regret not taking a moment to get a picture, but at the time I was pretty scared and wanted to get the hell out of there. A pic would have made Ch 7 for sure, as I had a perfect vantage point for the big wedge funnel.

You lucky son of a gun. You have no idea how much I wish I could have seen that. I live right there, within blocks. Just stayed late at work, otherwise my dreams would have come true.

We were in the storm shelter at work and I had no idea that the funnel was right by where I live. Not until thee wife called crying her eyes out.

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have had a fascination with Tornadoes since I was a little kid.

Driving up to the Black Hills with my parents I looked off to the left and there was a beautiful F3 just a couple miles away tearing up electrical poles and wires. What a site to see. There were barely any trees or anything in the area too so I just got to sit and watch that thing tear up our Earth with nothing blocking my view. And there were no houses around too which was great.

I found you JJM! I knew it!

maxresdefault.jpg

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You lucky son of a gun. You have no idea how much I wish I could have seen that. I live right there, within blocks. Just stayed late at work, otherwise my dreams would have come true.

We were in the storm shelter at work and I had no idea that the funnel was right by where I live. Not until thee wife called crying her eyes out.

I learnt today the emergency alert over our phones is based upon zip code. So that's what my "area" meant.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I learnt today the emergency alert over our phones is based upon zip code. So that's what my "area" meant.

If they did it by GPS they could have said "Warning: there is a tornado about to pick your ass up and throw you....look out the window."

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was having similar thoughts yesterday while watching the news of the F5 tornado. People driving down Dodge St right next to it like it's no big deal.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they did it by GPS they could have said "Warning: there is a tornado about to pick your ass up and throw you....look out the window."

I don't get scared easy. I've been in the eye of a Category 3 hurricane in 1985, and had my house in Ralston taken off at the foundation in 1975.

When I saw the funnel (knowing it was coming at me) I had two choices.
First was to go back into Walgreen's for shelter. I though fast enough to doubt they have a basement.
Second option was to jump in my truck and try to out run it north.

Like I said. I felt danger and no time to take a pic.

On my way up to Fort St I watched it out the back window or in my rear view.

The funnel ended up going directly over the Village Inn/Burger King area. 136th/138th Maple. If it had stayed together and dropped, I don't doubt it would have been 1/4 mile wide EF3 wedge.

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get scared easy. I've been in the eye of a Category 3 hurricane in 1985, and had my house in Ralston taken off at the foundation in 1975.

When I saw the funnel (knowing it was coming at me) I had two choices.
First was to go back into Walgreen's for shelter. I though fast enough to doubt they have a basement.
Second option was to jump in my truck and try to out run it north.

Like I said. I felt danger and no time to take a pic.

On my way up to Fort St I watched it out the back window or in my rear view.

The funnel ended up going directly over the Village Inn/Burger King area. 136th/138th Maple. If it had stayed together and dropped, I don't doubt it would have been 1/4 mile wide EF3 wedge.

giphy.gif

White Rat

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember that '75 tornado well. We lived in LaVista at the time and I remember my older brothers getting up on the roof of our house to watch it roll through Ralston. The next day we went driving around by the Ralston bank on 84th and seeing the aftermath. There were houses along 84th, just south of the bank where all that was left was a front door from one house. That door stayed there for years.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember that '75 tornado well. We lived in LaVista at the time and I remember my older brothers getting up on the roof of our house to watch it roll through Ralston. The next day we went driving around by the Ralston bank on 84th and seeing the aftermath. There were houses along 84th, just south of the bank where all that was left was a front door from one house. That door stayed there for years.

My wife lived in LaVista at the same time. She would have been about 12 years old at the time. Lived off of 74th & Harrison.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know the exact house you speak of. I was in 7th grade at Ralston Middle School (just east) back then. That wasn't the front door though. It was an interior closet. It did stay like that for years. I think it's still vacant lot today.
We rebuilt our house. My mom, brother, sisters, and I were under the pool table in the basement with an AM radio tuned to KFAB.
Gretna Fire department dug us out in about a half hour or so. We were happy to see them. They literally followed the tornado into town.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife lived in LaVista at the same time. She would have been about 12 years old at the time. Lived off of 74th & Harrison.

Meant to ask you...Did you know a dude named Ronnie Payne at BT?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The name sounds very familiar.

He was at BT from like '77-'80.

I cooked with him at Village Inn on 108th & L for a couple years back then.

Black guy.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK RA, I remember the guy. He was a couple of classes ahead of me. He played guard on the football team. Nice enough guy. Obviously, we didn't run in the same crowd. I was too young for his crew.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think his nickname was cornbread.... No idea why.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK RA, I remember the guy. He was a couple of classes ahead of me. He played guard on the football team. Nice enough guy. Obviously, we didn't run in the same crowd. I was too young for his crew.

Yup. Same guy. Yes. He was a really nice guy.

We used to play sandlot football against the other Village Inns in town. We'd always hand the ball off to Ronnie because nobody could tackle him. Pretty sure they were afraid to tackle him because he brought a load.