• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tim Alderson Starts Again

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The erstwhile prospect obtained for Freddy Sanchez, i.e., Tim Alderson, came back out of the bullpen to make a start at Altoona last night. I wish I could report better results.

Alderson's line: 3 innings, 2 runs, 5 hits, 2 walks, 1 K, no decision

The Curve lost the game in 12 innings, 5-4.

Also notable is that Tony Sanchez made his 16th error of the season. That seems like a VERY large number of E's for a catcher.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm not mistaken Alderson is still topping out in the high 80's on the gun in Altoona. If that is the case, he is barely a prospect anymore.

Lost season for Sanchez, disappointing for sure, but there are extenuating circumstances, ie jaw injury aftermath. And it isn't like there is some red flag that will keep him from succeeding long term, ie strike zone problems. I still think he is a very good prospect, and most prospects don't develop linearly anyway.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad to see this about Alderson. When he was with the Giants, he was a "can't-miss" kid.

Do you guys think this is a case of (A) Sabean knowing he was a lost cause, (B) The Pirates doing something to him to ruin him, or (C) just one of those things that is unforeseeable?

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mostly A.
I think everyone knew that Alderson had issues but I think the Pirates knew they weren't likely to get much for Freddy Sanchez either. Sabean correctly cut bait and the Pirates incorrectly gambled that they'd be able to resolve whatever issues he had.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm not mistaken Alderson is still topping out in the high 80's on the gun in Altoona. If that is the case, he is barely a prospect anymore.

Agreed..... hence my use of the word "erstwhile."

Lost season for Sanchez, disappointing for sure, but there are extenuating circumstances, ie jaw injury aftermath. And it isn't like there is some red flag that will keep him from succeeding long term, ie strike zone problems. I still think he is a very good prospect, and most prospects don't develop linearly anyway.

I tend to agree with that, as well. I hope you're right.

Mostly, what I'm doing with this post is trying out some of the features on this board. :laugh:

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think mainly A also.

Per a friend of mine (in Altoona this week for work) that they had bad weather so everything was wet. Alderson looked very easy to hit but that might have been due to him trying to place the ball too much plus he had bad control.

Also the error on Sanchez he stated he rushed the throw even though he had time to get him at 1st base.

On a side note he stated Marte looks very good with Holt and Lambo (3 run HR) looking good also in the game.