• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tillman going for Win #14

CamdenFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that playing regularly could lead to an increase of skill level and thus increase BABIP slightly... but how do you explain the spike in McLouth's line drive percentage (which will inflate AVG and OBP because liners are much more likely to fall for a hit or result in a home run)? For comparison, let's actually look at Chris Davis: his LD% is 23.8% this year, which is fairly close to the career average of 23.3%.

(Again, this is not meant as criticism against McLouth... I'm just trying to analyze his numbers objectively.)

An increase in skill level, maybe. Starting in the lineup on a daily basis though allows a batter to find his groove and become familiar with opposing pitchers stuff. Experience breeds competence.

The guy came into MLB with high expectations, got injured and wound up getting the shaft in Pittsburg. Rode the pine and didn't get to play. Stats are useful, but look at what the Orioles have.

Last year in the post season, McClouth was the only guy to bring his bat and show up to play. This year as a leadoff batter, he's hitting a solid .290 and once he's on base he is a valid threat to steal. So a single can become a double just like that. Pitchers have to adjust because he does have speed, and is a threat to steal. Pretty hard to ask more from your leadoff batter.

His glove is solid defensively. His arm is a question, but he will chase down fly balls and his play at the wall is always solid. I don't know. I think the guy is a bargain. The O's are in a small market and can afford him, and he brings a hell of a lot to the table.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the guy is a bargain. The O's are in a small market and can afford him, and he brings a hell of a lot to the table.

For the record, I wouldn't mind about keeping McLouth either. But I do think it would be wise for the organization to plan ahead and start thinking about other corner outfield options for the future in case McLouth's performance regresses to a "4th outfielder" level later.

Last edited by a moderator:

all4ripken

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible pitching tonight, but nice to see the offense have solid back-to-back games

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alot depends on Reimold next year too, if he's healthy again(lol:wtf2:)they can maybe do the platoon thing again. Either way McLouth is coming into his own and should have 3-4 more good years left. You can't discount he may also be playing with more a chip on his shoulders since the O's gave him another chance.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red Sox game is on the MLB network. Pedroia is up, runners on 1st and 2nd, 2 outs. 7-6 D-Backs, bottom of the ninth.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alot depends on Reimold next year too, if he's healthy again(lol:wtf2:)they can maybe do the platoon thing again. Either way McLouth is coming into his own and should have 3-4 more good years left. You can't discount he may also be playing with more a chip on his shoulders since the O's gave him another chance.

Reimold will be a FA. I just don't see us giving him a chance.