• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

things that make me go hmmmm?

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So we are finally playing decently for the first time since the second week of the season and today we learn that Wandy will pitch on Thursday. Why not just forfeit, we aren't going to win with him chucking meatballs at the Brewers. This will be a game I will not even check the score of because all my Brewers fan colleagues will let me know anyway.

CRAP.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see if he's healthy, although I don't have much faith. You can't hide a guy if you think he's good enough to start.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if they have faith in anyone else, honestly. I would like to go with Cumpton or Pimentel or even Irwin or Locke over Wandy at this point, but all of those guys have had struggles intertwined with their successes, and nowhere near the track record of success Wandy has aggregated over his career, whether he can still do it or not.

I do imagine he's on a short leash, though.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We'll see if he's healthy, although I don't have much faith. You can't hide a guy if you think he's good enough to start.

No, but you can cut him. Nothing I have seen from him this year makes me think he will be a viable starting pitcher this season.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't know if they have faith in anyone else, honestly. I would like to go with Cumpton or Pimentel or even Irwin or Locke over Wandy at this point, but all of those guys have had struggles intertwined with their successes, and nowhere near the track record of success Wandy has aggregated over his career, whether he can still do it or not.

I would go with Cumpton personally, outside of his last outing he has been better than expected. But that is just me. I am not sure Locke has psychologically recovered from last season yet. Pimentel is on the DL.

Along with the rotation I have little faith in a lot of relievers right now. Watson, Wilson, Melancon and Hughes is about my limit. I don't think I let any other reliever pitch with a lead right now.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would go with Cumpton personally, outside of his last outing he has been better than expected. But that is just me. I am not sure Locke has psychologically recovered from last season yet. Pimentel is on the DL.

Along with the rotation I have little faith in a lot of relievers right now. Watson, Wilson, Melancon and Hughes is about my limit. I don't think I let any other reliever pitch with a lead right now.

I think Morris can be effective, but I don't want to lean on him, a "he won't hurt us too much in limited action" kind of guy. I actually feel the same way about Hughes, and for the same reasons. Both have good velocity and downward movement to get ground balls, but both also have spotty control and walk too many guys and make too many mistakes up where their fastball flatten out.

Watson, Wilson, and Melancon are all solid. Wilson's probably the most nerve-wracking because of his control issues, but has better stuff than Morris and Hughes, so he can get away with it more often.

And I agree on Cumpton. He's been my pick for that spot in the rotation since spring training. He's not great, but he can at least consistently keep the team in ballgames.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I'll start by saying I was wrong about Wandy's start.

I would also say that your short leash prediction was more than accurate, Wandy was pulled after 5 innings and only 73 pitches, and he was pulled with a lead. That in my book is a vote of no confidence by the manager.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll start by saying I was wrong about Wandy's start.

I would also say that your short leash prediction was more than accurate, Wandy was pulled after 5 innings and only 73 pitches, and he was pulled with a lead. That in my book is a vote of no confidence by the manager.

Hi velocity was back up to usual, and I think that was key. As for his early exit, I'm not certain it was so much lack of confidence as uncertainty about his stamina after a DL stint.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
build confidence, and he is older so not wanting to risk re-injury so that they can make a fair and objective decision over the next 5 starts whether he is in or out and they need to move to cumpton, pimentel, or sadler.

i am all in favor of trying the young guys, as this year is not our year, i have been saying since the winter. we cannot complete against the dodgers, giants, braves, cards (altho they are faltering so far) and nats yet. we still need a year of polanco, taillon, and 1-2 more pitchers, as well as hitting from 1B and a more seasoned marte and mercer. then we have a team that can really have a chance.
with that said, hopefully sandy rebounds and we can package him and get a good piece to a team needing a lefty down the stretch as he won't have that many innings on him this year.
we have young guys running out of options and need to make a decision or package them. wasting time on wandy is a real waste.