• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

There Really is a Plan

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone else feel really good about the Flyers future right now? Not, OH, we're going to win the cup next season and the 6 after that...cause while that would be great that isn't realistic...but just good?

For the first time in a long time I feel like the GM has a vision and the nerve to follow through. I am not saying that Homer didn't have a vision, I am saying I don't think her or Snider had the patience to let it develop.

Hexy's latest move, trading Rinaldo (2year term at $890k) and then signing Vandy for 2 years and $750 or so...not adding term and saving cap room, albeit a very little, but every little bit counts.

He moves out Grossmann and Pronger's contract. He could buy out Gragner (or not) either way it is a win.

He has openly said that he wants/sees a need to clear out more cap/term. The only big cap hit term eaters that aren't named Giroux left are Umberger, AMac and Vinny. I have the feeling that Vinny and the Flyers already have reached a "termination" agreement that will kick in after 7/1. I could be wrong but that is just a feeling I have. AMac could have some value to the right team. Even if you take 2.5 back in salary in a player you are saving money. Umberger may be untradeable. Coming off hip and abdominal surgery. He has to prove he can still play, or at least play better than he did last year and the last half season he was in Columbus. If he can do that he is just overpaid and not a waste.

But it is the potential young depth on the blue line...drafting three goalies who are all so different from each other. Drafting two smaller forwards who remind me of Danny Briere instead of forwards who remind me of Harvy Bennet. I really fell like there is a plan, a direction and the will to see it through.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am with you wbon. Hextall went through some serious training while he was with the Kings and when the Flyers brought him in, my first thought was, Hextall is going to turn this thing around in a five-year stretch. Looks like the plan he has is really being carried out and it is exciting to watch.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better plan than Sweeney has......he would have moved G and Jake already...haha!

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a fun time to be a fan of this team

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see MacDonald as the only real long term issue. He is going to be so hard to move and could win up being a total tumor on our young defense. Other than him, Hextall has a vision and is sticking to it. Give it time and all the pieces will come together.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone else feel really good about the Flyers future right now? Not, OH, we're going to win the cup next season and the 6 after that...cause while that would be great that isn't realistic...but just good?

For the first time in a long time I feel like the GM has a vision and the nerve to follow through. I am not saying that Homer didn't have a vision, I am saying I don't think her or Snider had the patience to let it develop.

Hexy's latest move, trading Rinaldo (2year term at $890k) and then signing Vandy for 2 years and $750 or so...not adding term and saving cap room, albeit a very little, but every little bit counts.

He moves out Grossmann and Pronger's contract. He could buy out Gragner (or not) either way it is a win.

He has openly said that he wants/sees a need to clear out more cap/term. The only big cap hit term eaters that aren't named Giroux left are Umberger, AMac and Vinny. I have the feeling that Vinny and the Flyers already have reached a "termination" agreement that will kick in after 7/1. I could be wrong but that is just a feeling I have. AMac could have some value to the right team. Even if you take 2.5 back in salary in a player you are saving money. Umberger may be untradeable. Coming off hip and abdominal surgery. He has to prove he can still play, or at least play better than he did last year and the last half season he was in Columbus. If he can do that he is just overpaid and not a waste.

But it is the potential young depth on the blue line...drafting three goalies who are all so different from each other. Drafting two smaller forwards who remind me of Danny Briere instead of forwards who remind me of Harvy Bennet. I really fell like there is a plan, a direction and the will to see it through.

If Hextall could unload 2 of these guys,I believe he gets a 10 year contract at the MGM in Vegas to display his magic.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might even be more optimistic than some of you guys. As 4706 said, Macdonald is the only long term issue now. But I don't think he's that big of an issue. He's overpaid at 5 million, but he's not a liability out there, he's just overpaid. If he was a 3 mil cap hit and played a bottom 6 role, he'd be perfectly fine.

You can deal with 2 million in overpayment for a few years.

The future of this team is very very bright.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might even be more optimistic than some of you guys. As 4706 said, Macdonald is the only long term issue now. But I don't think he's that big of an issue. He's overpaid at 5 million, but he's not a liability out there, he's just overpaid. If he was a 3 mil cap hit and played a bottom 6 role, he'd be perfectly fine.

You can deal with 2 million in overpayment for a few years.

The future of this team is very very bright.

Yep when the young d-men develop, A-Mac isn't going to be playing top minutes and therefore he won't be a liability

The team has a boatload of draft picks and the other guys they're going to trade should net them a few more too

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see MacDonald moved like everyone else but I am also in agreement with the prevailing consensus here of awaz and Cobiemonster that he is a tolerable issue that 4706 stated to begin with. Hextall has really made major strides in the last week and I believe we will see a significant improvement in competitiveness, productivity, defense, and consistency in the team when they step on the ice in 3-4 months.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see MacDonald moved like everyone else but I am also in agreement with the prevailing consensus here of awaz and Cobiemonster that he is a tolerable issue that 4706 stated to begin with. Hextall has really made major strides in the last week and I believe we will see a significant improvement in competitiveness, productivity, defense, and consistency in the team when they step on the ice in 3-4 months.

I think so far, they've gotten rid of most of the main problem points on this team as far as players who could not hold their end of the bargain and others that were holding this team back - if they can move one or two more guys, it can get a lot of the dead wood off of this team - having young players who are hungry is important because I think there are too many fat cats that were on this team and didn't play hard enough to prove their worth

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that the team will be fine with AMac they don't need him but you can never have enough dmen. FA contracts never look good after the fact...

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm okay with this, we'll see how he does - at the very least he can give a point every other game, maybe he can do more on a better team

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gagner is staying and they resign White.
The team is faster with the addition of Gagner. White and Vandy are good soldiers, hard workers and good in the room. The Blue Line needs some stabilizing still and they need a backup in the net, but clearly moving in the right direction.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gagner is staying and they resign White.
The team is faster with the addition of Gagner. White and Vandy are good soldiers, hard workers and good in the room. The Blue Line needs some stabilizing still and they need a backup in the net, but clearly moving in the right direction.

Would like to see Thomas Greiss signed as a backup and if they can get rid of more dead wood this offseason, I'm good

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heading into the weekend after Free Agent Frenzy and the draft and still feeling like I drank the Kool Aid.
Why?
Hextall is deferring to the coach on how players will be used. He offers his thought but then says it is up to the coach. Gagner, sees him more as a wing but that is up to the coach. B Schenn, it is up to the coach.

Homer would come out and say "this player is an X" and no matter what, that was where he should play. Hextall has subtly come out not in support of how Berube was using his bench and team. He appears to have more faith in Hakstol as a coach and manager of the team.

I still think that the Flyers need a LW who can play on either of the top lines. I am not 100% sure of the blue line as it is currently constituted.

I really like where we are in goal and I really like the overall direction.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think that the Flyers need a LW who can play on either of the top lines. I am not 100% sure of the blue line as it is currently constituted.

I agree with you, but there are not many elite left wingers available.

I would take Sharp from Chicago, but only if they were to eat some of his contract (like Toronto did with Kessel) or take one of our lesser defensemen. They are in serious cap trouble and looking to unload him.