• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The third 19 or so

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a bad run for the middle of May.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This SF series has been like the Baltimore series in April. Good pitching, but the offense has fallen asleep.

The bench has posted good numbers for the season, but came up empty in a couple starts yesterday.

Overall, there's been plenty of scoring opprtunities this weekend, but the team hasn't been able to get the clutch hits. All teams have similiar stretches, but it's frustrating when it's your team.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Votto coming up 3 feet short on 3 long fly balls doesnt help.
Hamilton may have been a mirage.
Peraza is clueless.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peraza will only be as successful as his plate discipline allows. He can hit, but not every pitch he sees. Interesting he walked twice yesterday.... doubling his season total. I'm sure the night off had something to do with it. We'll see how long his patience will last.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A complete game by Bonilla was impressive, at least saving the bullpen after Friday night.

I was listening to the radio, and Cowboy thought, that 3rd run should have been an error on Peraza

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Peraza has bought into the notion that the job is his and when Cozart is traded, he will still have a position. That's shaky strategy for him and the Reds.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, now we are ready to play some baseball.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today's game wasn't much of a momentum builder heading into a day off and a trip to Wrigley.

A disappointing series overall, but today the club was especially lackluster.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see Scooter play 2nd daily. He plays good defense and he is a better hitter than Peraza. And He plays like he has something to prove. Peraza seems like he could care less.

I also know Peraza will play every day, because he has too, because we traded Todd Frazier for him, and The Reds don't want to look like they made a mistake. But the Reds also got Scott Schebler in that trade, and outside of an occasional lack of concentration on routine fly balls he produces very well so far

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Offense and Defense I'm fine with. But I'm not expecting big things until the pitching rotation clears up.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These guys are not going to win a pennant.
What we could hope for is meaningful games in September.

That is possible.

Ickey Shuffle

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. But this is the most I'm invested in this team since going on 5 years. That's not saying much, but I'm having fun now and the players look like it too. Besides that 3-11 cold streak after that start obv.

Even Votto seems like he has ambition.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea of winning 7 out of 12. It's a .580 percentage.
It also equals 93 wins. I doubt that is sustainable for a season, but it keeps them in the hunt for a couple of months until the horses are ready -- if the horse exist.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gives me hope that this team is on the rise, and that in a few years they can compete. This year 500 would be great.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's become the second half mantra of the Reds to pend it's success on players returning from injury.

It's like being a pony express mail carrier. You ride the horse you're on hard until you reach your next stop and hop on a fresh horse.

The Reds pitching staff may not have fresh horses waiting for them come the second half.

That's probably the biggest factor in how successful the Reds will be in August and September. Homer, Desclafani, and Finnegan are all unknown contributors at this point. Add a few injuries to this pithing staff and the team could be competing for last place once again.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a believer the Reds are real this year, but I will note some positive signs among current negatives..

I do think anyone with Peraza's contact rate and prior history can and will hit for average, eventually. He has no power-and probably won't. He's a good defender with better range than Cozart or Gennett, and a better arm than Gennette. What he has to learn is that just because he can get a bat on it, doesn't mean he should always. OF's are going to choke him in until he starts choosing pitches to gap. They aren't going to walk him because 1.they don't want him on the bases, and 2.he won't let them. He wasn't a mistake, he's just in need of better plate discipline, an odd comment about a guy with no real contact problems.

Hamilton WAS hitting line drives, now he's back to pop ups. They aren't pitching him differently, so he needs to go back to what works, not to what isn't. Theoretically easier than Peraza's lessonbecause he already learned once. Again, he's a defender beyond replacing.

These 2 guys have elite speed. Smart money has to stay with them, but smart baseball requires some solid coaching and persistent insistence they stay on working toward higher hit totals.

Been a lot of Reds low BA LF's, a few with power, but few that are pluses on D. Duvall is. The problem is, Schebler may be the same type hitter, with far less D, and with Hamilton and Peraza still in 3rd grade hitting class, the Reds can't really go back to OF's hitting like utility IF's. I would love to trade half Schebler's power for 40 more points on his BA/OBP.

If evolution of Votto's game includes a slightly lower BA with slightly more HR, and maintains his OBP, I'll take it. I'd like to see him keep improving his D, and ignore people wanting him to chase more pitches hoping for more HR. Votto ain't broke, so don't try to fix him. Plenty (above) to work on elsewhere.

It appears Garrett is on his way back. He needs to stay on his prior pitching plan, and convince his roommates to get on it as well.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing Finnegan now for June and maybe more raises a brow again about the type of pitchers that the league in general is producing. I am beginning to wonder if signing a bunch of Feldmans to 1-year deals isn't the best way to go. Finnegan has yet to make me think he's the real deal and since he's hurt, I may never know.

The rest of these guys aren't prospects. What they are is an excuse not to have to do anything with the staff. Honestly, I don't care if Homer Bailey ever pitches again.

Ickey Shuffle

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I swear we give up at least 3 runs from the jump in majority of these games so far. Sending Garrett down definitely messed with his rhythm.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this team has reached its level of ineptitude.