• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The second half

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel very fortunate to live less than 10 miles from GABP. Between that, radio, Fox Sports, and the MLB At Bat app on my phone it's easy to follow the Reds home or away.
Since I am in the Chicago market, I can't watch them on MLB when they play the Cubs or Sox.
I cut back to just the Reds on MLB.tv which is a few bucks cheaper (about 85 bucks instead of 129) but I really don't need to be ODing on baseball.

Plus I have the RailCats for live action. We get to 5 or 6 games a year. The American Assoc. also has live streaming which is a bit amateurish (unless it's St. Paul or Winnipeg) ... but it's ball. The teams don't have a lot of money for video and you might get a couple of camera angles. What you learn to expect from baseball on TV will spoil you. These streamings are probably worse than the original telecasts from 1948. All the same, free and fun. If you are an Am. Assoc. fan, they are a ton of value since the players aren't well known.

When I was a kid, all we had usually was radio with Waite Hoyt or Claude Sullivan, later Al Michaels, McIntyre, all before Marty and Joe. There was a guy named George Bryson who did the TV games in the 50s. Country sort of fellow with a lot of clever comments. I would love to find some of that on youTube. Bryson probably did about 10 games a year. Reds on TV in those days was a rare treat. Hudepohl beer was their main sponsor.

Waite Hoyt always did Burger Beer. Waite used to say homers went into Burgerville but I think they told him to stop saying that over some contract dispute.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a person wanted to travel. There is a lot of MLB ballparks within a days drive from Ohio. About 9, Some you would have to leave pretty early in the morning to make game time, and but it's possible

I was geography challenged on Athens till I looked it up.
Getting to Columbus for a game would be about as easy, and cheaper too. Of course, that's AAA.
Of course pro teams in Huntington and Charleston. Ohio U. would be in a real good conference as well.
I remember the Reds having broadcast arrangements in a lot of towns, even in Tenn. That would be a pretty hard sell now. Radio has lost its clout and that's a shame. IMO, radio is the 2nd-most important invention ever. I am serious about that. The other was gunpowder.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been to a lot of OU games. I only go once or twice a year now.

When the Reds had spring training in Florida. I used to go down ever year. I saw a lot of games and talked to a lot of baseball fans. It was fairly cheap to get a ticket and park. I think 8 to 25 dollars, and 5 to park. There was also an abundance of really good bars to go to, and talk baseball.
In Goodyear Arizona, I guess it's a much nicer ballpark. But I hear that tickets start at 25 and go up. But the Grand Canyon is near, and Las Vegas isn't terribly far.

Central Florida is Conservatively a 16 hour drive, and 2 hour flight. Arizona, it's a long way.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The old Hudy plant is still standing with Hudepohl easily legible on the smoke stack to the south of Union Terminal. There's no trace of the old Burger Beer name on Central Pkwy anymore. Some of the Burger recipes were bought by Hudepohl when Burger went out of business and later Hudepohl merged with Schoenling. I think Samuel Adams owns all those old recipes today.

Weidemann was another name you'd see around Crosley. It was a Northern Kentucky brewery. I have no idea whatever happen to them.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Powell Crosley was an innovator in the early days of radio. So buying the Reds and pairing the two would have been right up his alley. Powell Crosley actually did a lot of the broadcasting himself.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before the AT Bat app it was rather difficult to pick up the game if you were driving very far from Cincinnati. None of the affiliates have much range if you're driving, but they do stretch far and wide. I picked up the signal accidently once in SC while on vacation.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Rookie Davis had surgery on his hip. He's not expected to be ready by ST.

Of all the young pitchers I saw this season, Rookie falls pretty far down my list on the depth chart. Some guys show glimpses of promise. I can't say I ever saw that with Rookie.

IMO,
Bryan Price likes the kid and that kept him in the mix longer than it should have. It befuddled me to see him in the ST rotation from day one and into the regular season.

It's loyalty to under performing players that may be Bryan Price's biggest downfall. JJ Hoover anyone?

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was never a Rookie Davis fan either. His best outing, He lasted 5 innings I think he gave up one run, but there was guy's on base every inning he pitched. I think it is management that wants him in there, so the Chapman trade doesn't look so embarrassing.
Speaking of managers who played favorites. The Nats are down 2 to 1 to the Cubs. A team can have a great regular season.. But you better be hot during the playoffs or it's just a wasted season. Now the Dodgers seem to continue to roll. Indians and Yankees are tied 2 -2. I think if the Indians would lose that would be a real shocker. Astros move on.
I know the media want's a Dodgers, Yankee World Series for ratings. I don't

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weidemann was another name you'd see around Crosley. It was a Northern Kentucky brewery. I have no idea whatever happen to them.

I recall later years (early 70s) when Weidemann was the radio sponsor. "A sincere and mon-u-men-tal thirst" ... beer has always been a staple for radio advertising.

As for pitching, I am in the minority that thinks Lorenzen is the middle of the solution. I had high hopes for Rookie Davis early on and he might still be a decent pitcher. A few decent ones would help but I think this outfit needs to find somebody who's a 7 on a 1-10 scale instead of a 4 or a 5.

I was a bit disappointed that the Yankees came back in that series, though not surprised. If they lose, I imagine MLB will be climbing all over itself to make the LDS a best-of-7 because ... god forbid ... Boston and NY should not have to endure the indignity of going out in 5 games. Of course, Kluber needs to pitch tonight and this pulling a starter in the 2nd inning in favor of another starter ... overmanaging. Most starters settle in after the first inning.

Oh well, not my problem. The Cubs should never have won that game 3, but when a team goes dead at the plate, that happens. LA is clearly the class of the league. They have 6 legitimate starters on their roster.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before the AT Bat app it was rather difficult to pick up the game if you were driving very far from Cincinnati. None of the affiliates have much range if you're driving, but they do stretch far and wide. I picked up the signal accidently once in SC while on vacation.
Most of the satellite stations the Reds had back 'in the day' were AM stations and hard to pick up at night when they cut back their signals. The FM options were pretty rare since most people didn't have FM in their car radios or even at home. FM wasn't even practical until the middle 70s. Lots of reasons for that, none applying to baseball. I lived in Evansville for years and I got my signal from WLW. When I moved to NE Illinois, I really lost all contact with them. By the end of the century, I really had no daily connection and didn't actually pick up on it again until about 10 years ago.
I still can't find a radio or TV feed without MLB as the source and I get blacked out when the Reds play a Chicago team.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anthony Rizzo has burned Dusty Baker throughout the series. He's came to the plate three times with 2 out and a runner in scoring position with first base open. Elected to pitch to him all three times and Rizzo is 3 for 3.

The next guy may or may not have got a hit, but you can't let Rizzo beat you with a base open in game three.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much for rooting for the Indians.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or the Nats, Guess I'm an Astros fan now. which is probably the kiss of death for them. I think I'm seeing a media's dream Dodgers, Yankees series. I doubt they would be too disappointed with the Cubs either. All 4 are considered big market teams. But a Yankee's Dodgers series gives them history to ramble on about, through out series.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a crazy game last night from start to finish.

The first inning strategies of the managers turned out to be the margin of difference. Plenty of things happened the rest of the game, but the score the last 8 innings was 8-8.

The Cubs had a runner on 3rd with 1 out and Dusty chose to play the infield back and give up the run. The Nats with a runner on 3rd and one out, Maddon plays the infield in and the runner is cut down trying to score.

You could spend all day dissecting numerous plays that changed the outcome of that game.

Matt Wieters play in the 5th inning alone was enough to make you sick if you're a Nats fan.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or the Nats, Guess I'm an Astros fan now. which is probably the kiss of death for them. I think I'm seeing a media's dream Dodgers, Yankees series. I doubt they would be too disappointed with the Cubs either. All 4 are considered big market teams. But a Yankee's Dodgers series gives them history to ramble on about, through out series.
I think MLB was licking chops over a Cubs-Boston series last year because of the 1918 connection. Now they will want a Cubs-Yanks match because it gives them plenty of time to show the 1932 Ruth called-shot film a million times and drag in Doris Kearns and Billy Crystal to tell about it.
Any LA-NY matchup is good for NY because Brooklyn (see Kearns-Crystal again)
Maybe they can find Vin Scully to do an inning for us.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doris Kearns is my kind of Baseball fan. I think I would in NY, in the 50's. It had to be exciting if you were a baseball fan. But you are right that's all we will hear.