• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The season has started

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good series against the Twins. but I do realize that they are going throw some problems right now. So I won't order my WS ticket just yet. but the Reds have won 4 out of the last 7 games and that's better than before.

But tonight they will be playing the Brewers. I think Thames is on the DL, So that give the Reds a chance

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think this board and others like it are useful for exploring the other side of emotions. If everyone could do that, there's the likelihood we would all be more at peace with each other.
Tact and respect will usually work. I confess to failing at that on occasion.

Back to baseball.

Wick Terrell at redreporter.com has a bit today on the Reds moving forward. RR has a daily feature on Farmers Only.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't follow the farm daily, but do try and check in off and on to stay updated. Both sites mentioned are good reads.

Scooter out of the lineup with a sore right shoulder. He had a problem with it in Arizona and he's struggled throwing the ball since. I heard he just had a MRI, so I guess we may hear more later. He did pinch hit, so I guess it hampers his throwing more than hitting.

It would seem likely that the club would eventually try to trade Scooter when they're ready to call up Senzel. Hard to trade a guy with a bum shoulder. Of course the Mets didn't have any trouble trading Dilson Herrera and his bad shoulder.

Speaking of injuries. Zack Weiss left his last outing in AAA with an apparent arm injury. He's already had TJ once, so that infinity ERA may be for eternity. I hope not. I'd like to see the kid get another shot. Before the injuries he was on the radar to make the club a couple years ago. But injuries have a way of snuffing out MLB pitching careers before they start.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched Hader pitch tonight. Nobody should be that good. He maxes out at 95 but he got a very generous strike zone.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wandy has a very generous walk zone.

I actually thought they might win that one. I must have been dilerious.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hader is the 1st pitcher to record 8 K's while pitching less than three innings.

Now I feel better. The Reds set a new record.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some folks tracking the pitches said Hader got some generous calls on a couple of 1-0 counts which tends to modify the at-bat.
But that isn't the first time he's done that to the Reds -- he does it every time he faces the Reds.
If Wandy had actually held the runners and prevented the double-steal, maybe .... but the botch throw by Tuck is the daily dose of ineptitude that strikes the Reds on every single game. Hamilton made a fool of himself trying to bunt.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamilton made a fool of himself trying to bunt.

Sometimes Hamilton makes a fool out of himself by playing to shallow in center field to. Like last night.. That throw by Barnhart really hurt not to mention he had him dead to rights ....What ever that means but he had him.

Well Hader probably won't pinch again in this series.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes Hamilton makes a fool out of himself by playing to shallow in center field to. Like last night.. That throw by Barnhart really hurt not to mention he had him dead to rights ....What ever that means but he had him.

Well Hader probably won't pinch again in this series.

I've had a few discussions with other people about the pro and cons of BH playing shallow. I'm sure there's a metric out there somewhere. IMO, where he plays should be situational. The guys playing to his left and right and obviously the batter factor into it as well.

At the end of a game if a base hit or deep enough flyball beats you, play shallow. If a ball over your head in that at bat beats you, play deeper. That's defense 101. If the pitcher can't get anybody out it doesn't matter in the end.

Other wise the primary benifit of playing shallow would be to cut down on line drive hits. I really don't see Hamilton catching more line drives than a CF that plays a couple steps deeper. But I do see lower trajectory batted balls that get over him without hitting the wall on a fly. Playing shallow may create opportunity for highlight reel catches, but it also leads to more time on the DL. The ball and the defender getting to the wall simultaneously never benifits the player.

GABP isn't a big outfield. If balls are over his head and bouncing before they hit the fence I think he should be playing a couple steps deeper.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Five different Brewers stole a base last night. They were stealing on a pitching staff that did a poor job holding runners. I think that played a significant role in Barnhart rushing his pop and throw time.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ball Santana hit over BH's head is one of those 'well, I guess he earned it' hits. Hughes threw a meatball to a guy who teed it up. It only matters if it hits over the fielder's head. Otherwise, it's just the 3rd out.

Getting crap starts out of a pitcher is still going to murder this outfit. All in all, Brice and Peralta pitched reasonably well against a team that can hit. Peralta is probably living on numbers that don't add up. He didn't bother holding the runners in a situation where that should have been automatic.

Hughes isn't a bad reliever. He got stung.

Not sure how Hader became the best pitcher in history, but he's easily the most overlooked.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It didn't help that after the 5th inning last night the offense decided to take the rest of the night off.

Something about the Brewers. There is always at least one guy in there lineup that has a career games against the Reds. and that is every game we play them. last night it was Hader. tonight it will be someone else. Plus there defense has improved as much as the Reds defense has gotten worse