• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The season has started

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any idea who would be stupid enough to take the managers job. Maybe make Votto the interim manager' but I'd doubt he would want it either.
I think it would have to be an interim manager though. It might give someone a chance to succeed without having to much pressure on them. While hiring a new manager, he may be fired to in 30 days or so

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any idea who would be stupid enough to take the managers job. Maybe make Votto the interim manager' but I'd doubt he would want it either.
I think it would have to be an interim manager though. It might give someone a chance to succeed without having to much pressure on them. While hiring a new manager, he may be fired to in 30 days or so
I assume it would be Riggleman.
I heard that Farrell took his job with the understanding that he would not be any sort of interim manager. Not sure how that worked but if Price does and Riggleman is part of that departure, then Farrell would be the guy they'd pick.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At some point, there was an interim captain on the titanic. No one remembers him either.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to tell from one game and will be hard to tell by the weekend, but the Reds beat up on bad pitching Monday night.
The boneheaded defense is still evident. Romano is not going to be a staff ace.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pennington to me seems to be a wasted roster spot, at least so far this season. To be a little fair. I may be singing his praises in a few weeks. I know why they signed him. They thought they needed an experienced backup at SS. but they could have brought up someone in A ball and they would have given the Reds as much as Pennington has. I say release him and eat the salary. Gosselin I haven't seen play enough.

Well on the brighter side of things, the Reds got their 4th win of the season last night

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pennington to me seems to be a wasted roster spot, at least so far this season. To be a little fair. I may be singing his praises in a few weeks. I know why they signed him. They thought they needed an experienced backup at SS. but they could have brought up someone in A ball and they would have given the Reds as much as Pennington has. I say release him and eat the salary. Gosselin I haven't seen play enough.

Well on the brighter side of things, the Reds got their 4th win of the season last night
I think this was the point all along and it calls into question the GM's motives for having not one, but two, such players when a reasonable ready alternative was Blandino and/or Shed Long.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see Blandino keep getting playing time, even when Suarez comes back he can play all infield positions. and every one can be rested. The guy looks like he can hit up here given the chance

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blandino was always expected to hit with so-so defense. He hit .240 in AA and .260 in AAA, so at least he has been trending in the right direction. He has a descent approach at the plate and I like they way he stays inside the ball.

When you're 4-18 entering tonight I fail to see where Pennington or Gosselin have payed dividends. Time to sell on one or both.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tonight's game is a lesson in how a bad team can turn a rare impressive SP performance into a slugfest loss. Mahler went a little too long, Garrett too, and when you need a little D in the 9th, Scooter isn't the guy you want the ball hit right to, I guess. Reds may win (7-all in the bottom of the 9th) but the psychology won't be the same as if they had won 7-3. Kinda like finding a fly in your last bite of cheesecake.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 run lead. and Riggelmen tries to get fancy in the ninth. If the Reds lose this game it's 100% on the manager.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't have left Garrett in that long because of the reason he isn't starting- he has 2 pitches and a tough time getting outs after an inning or so. But, Scooter couldn't field a ball hit right at him that would have kept the lead. Riggleman could have put Pennington in for him I guess....But, this is a bad team. Starting 2b are supposed to field groundballs, and pitchers are supposed to hit the mitt. Hell, Votto ducked up a routine DP ball earlier by stepping on the bad first...a high school fundamental play brainfart. Riggleman is no genius, but I don't think any manager could win with these clowns.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can see the Reds hit the wall after that 2nd Freeman home run.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it doesn't matter how you win.
That was the big and small of the Reds season.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These guys don't have a clue how to win. The guys celebrating after the win were sons of the guys that blew the lead for them in the first place.Gennett can't catch a cold, and Garrett had zero command after one inning. Mahle pitched well and got zip for it. Iglesias walked a guy with 6 AB's on the season. Votto steps on first instead of going to 2b and can't get the second out on the tailor made DP ball. Every Reds pitcher has a Gopherball nightly. They celebrate an (unnecessary)extra inning win by using most of their bullpen. I thought it interesting they stole and bunted, but still can't seem to play elementary defense with a 4 run lead...against Atlanta- not exactly a powerhouse other Freeman, who had a guy that averages about a dozen HR a year "protecting" him in the 4 hole.

As bad as they are, they are looking better the last 2 games... Not sure it's possible to play at the pace of the first 20 games.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's fun to see a win like that even if it was flawed.
The problem is defining an offense based on it seeing one pretty average pitching staff.
But somebody PLEASE get tHom Brennaman a fucking muzzle!

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was nice all those games on the road without him. I don't think a baseball announcer has to be talking 100% of the time. Sometimes its nice to hear the fans and the vendors in the background. Gives you the feeling your there.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thom is a guy that can't answer a simple yes or no question. After he bores you with an elongated answer you've forgotten the question and don't know if he answered yes or no.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His affirmation of his jingoism annoys me a lot and his box full of hyperbole is off the charts.
What bothered me last night was his going on and on and on about how you can't trust the metrics, finally even Brantley was agreeing with him. That bullshit about "once you hit the field, if you start thinking, you will lose" is a wad of hokum from a Jack London novel. It's fine to interject a little humanity to the game but stop using it to compete with the data. Just say what the data is and adapt. RBI, tHom's favorite stat, is not a big deal. And OH, PITCHER WINS REALLY ARE A BIG DEAL, no matter what the "geeks" tell us.
I mean, stop denigrating the geeks and then licking Luckhaupt's ass for coming up with an interesting stat.

And the incessant railing about how Riggleman was born to manage and yabba dabba doo-doo.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing I found interesting in the Mahle game was his 6th inning. He had been sitting around 94 with his fastball most of the night. In the 6th his velocity jumped touching 98 once and 96-97 on others. I think he had an adrenaline rush and that inning drained his tank. It's not uncommon to see a SP drain his tank and throw harder his last inning, but I don't think it was by design for Mahle. I think he just got caught up in the moment of having a no-no working.

Garrett stretching into his 3rd inning of work makes me wonder if the intention was to stretch him out in the event Finnegan continues to struggle.