• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 'Ulmax Please Don't Hijack This Thread' Thread

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trader Jerry traded away Gott and Flexen. On the one hand, this could be seen as a prelude to a 'seller' mindset. But, I don't believe it is. Flexen had become irrelevant and Gott's 4.03 ERA won't be missed. And Jerry freed up $4.5 million in the process. So it could be that he already has an idea of where he wants to spend that windfall, and when (hopefully sometime before the end of July).

One can dream.

Anyway, this team is underachieving on offense. It may be time to build around JRod, Kelenic, JP, Cal, and Caballero, and get rid of the rest of them. I'm on the fence with France. He has shown signs of .300 BA/100 RBI potential and then he gets HBP and goes into a funk. So, give France, Suarez, Wong, Marco G, and Hernandez the rest of the year to see if they can get us in the playoffs, and if not, get rid of them.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trader Jerry traded away Gott and Flexen. On the one hand, this could be seen as a prelude to a 'seller' mindset. But, I don't believe it is. Flexen had become irrelevant and Gott's 4.03 ERA won't be missed. And Jerry freed up $4.5 million in the process. So it could be that he already has an idea of where he wants to spend that windfall, and when (hopefully sometime before the end of July).

One can dream.

Anyway, this team is underachieving on offense. It may be time to build around JRod, Kelenic, JP, Cal, and Caballero, and get rid of the rest of them. I'm on the fence with France. He has shown signs of .300 BA/100 RBI potential and then he gets HBP and goes into a funk. So, give France, Suarez, Wong, Marco G, and Hernandez the rest of the year to see if they can get us in the playoffs, and if not, get rid of them.
I'd keep France since he'll be somewhat cheap for the next 2yrs, with Suarez he'll need to heat up to have a trade market in the offseason but the rest won't net you much if anything. Maybe a low A prospect at best. It's unfortunate Jerry and company did near zilch in the offseason and put us in this position. I honestly wouldn't trade the farm at this point as this team is not a contender.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd keep France since he'll be somewhat cheap for the next 2yrs, with Suarez he'll need to heat up to have a trade market in the offseason but the rest won't net you much if anything. Maybe a low A prospect at best. It's unfortunate Jerry and company did near zilch in the offseason and put us in this position. I honestly wouldn't trade the farm at this point as this team is not a contender.
The biggest problem with them not buying in FA is they realistically can’t sell the farm. They don’t have a 2B and 3B for the future so they can’t (IMO) give up Ford and Young. Without those two they can’t get anything of significance IMO. They got some guys in low level ball who might develop and they got the draft this year that will help them trade in the off-season or next years deadline.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest problem with them not buying in FA is they realistically can’t sell the farm. They don’t have a 2B and 3B for the future so they can’t (IMO) give up Ford and Young. Without those two they can’t get anything of significance IMO. They got some guys in low level ball who might develop and they got the draft this year that will help them trade in the off-season or next years deadline.
Trading now is a lost cause. Agree with everything you said.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One can dream.

This trade actually pissed me off for a number of reasons.

1. Flexen should've been traded this offseason. I get the rationale and hindsight is 20/20, but Flexen had a 3.66 ERA over 53 starts in 2021 and 2022. Those are solid middle of the rotation numbers and he could've at least landed us something had we traded him before the season started.

2. This organization is so cheap they shipped off Flexen and Gott just for salary relief as the guy we got is a nobody who the Mets were getting rid of anyway.

3. Wouldn't be surprised if Flexen is done with baseball. It's a long story, but before the news about him being DFA'd broke I got a call from a colleague asking if I knew who Christopher Flexen was and I said yes that he is a Mariners pitcher. She told me the Mariners were moving on from him and he planned on moving to Florida. What she told me didn't exactly scream that he was looking to play again this season.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One can dream.

Forgot to hit on the second part of your post;

I give us a 15% chance of making the playoffs at this point. I'm still very pro-Ty France but not as much as I used to be. I honestly thought he had the ability to hit .310 or better, but I've kind of moved on from that at this point. That being said, I'd still hold on to him with how hard it seems to be to find players that can hit in Seattle. I'd rather him be a full time DH, but having a full time DH seems to go against the (IMO) idiotic philosophy of having a DH by committee type role.

Regarding the other guys:

Eugenio Suarez: This one is kind of tough. I find it unlikely the Mariners are willing to eat the rest of his contract despite the fact that he has regressed substantially. They owe him $11.2m in 2024, and he's not a viable trade candidate unless we kicked in a prospect for another team to eat his salary. Additionally, I don't really know of any replacements readily available unless the Mariners become more flexible with payroll.

Kolten Wong: I'd be surprised if he's on the team by the end of the year.

Marco Gonzales: Another tough one and similar to Suarez in some ways. They owe him $12m in 2024, and in order to get his contract off the books, we'd likely have to kick in a prospect. As of right now there are 5 starting pitchers better than him on the roster, 6 if you include Robbie Ray. I'd assume he'll be on the team in 2024 as depth or if the Mariners consider experimenting with a 6 man rotation.

Teoscar Hernandez: This one could play out a number of ways. He's a free agent after the season, and I have a feeling the Mariners won't extend him. I don't know why but I just don't see it happening. If they keep him past the trade deadline that either tells me that Jerry thinks the team can contend or that the offers for him were too garbage to accept.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All apoalgies..on hyjacking ..and.ok..
..although I'll read..

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All apoalgies..on hyjacking ..and.ok..
..although I'll read..
Just messin with you. Fire away. You keep this place relevant.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot to hit on the second part of your post;

I give us a 15% chance of making the playoffs at this point. I'm still very pro-Ty France but not as much as I used to be. I honestly thought he had the ability to hit .310 or better, but I've kind of moved on from that at this point. That being said, I'd still hold on to him with how hard it seems to be to find players that can hit in Seattle. I'd rather him be a full time DH, but having a full time DH seems to go against the (IMO) idiotic philosophy of having a DH by committee type role.

Regarding the other guys:

Eugenio Suarez: This one is kind of tough. I find it unlikely the Mariners are willing to eat the rest of his contract despite the fact that he has regressed substantially. They owe him $11.2m in 2024, and he's not a viable trade candidate unless we kicked in a prospect for another team to eat his salary. Additionally, I don't really know of any replacements readily available unless the Mariners become more flexible with payroll.

Kolten Wong: I'd be surprised if he's on the team by the end of the year.

Marco Gonzales: Another tough one and similar to Suarez in some ways. They owe him $12m in 2024, and in order to get his contract off the books, we'd likely have to kick in a prospect. As of right now there are 5 starting pitchers better than him on the roster, 6 if you include Robbie Ray. I'd assume he'll be on the team in 2024 as depth or if the Mariners consider experimenting with a 6 man rotation.

Teoscar Hernandez: This one could play out a number of ways. He's a free agent after the season, and I have a feeling the Mariners won't extend him. I don't know why but I just don't see it happening. If they keep him past the trade deadline that either tells me that Jerry thinks the team can contend or that the offers for him were too garbage to accept.
I think we need to trade Marco this winter for the very same reason you said we should have traded Flexen last winter. But first Macro needs to come off the IL and finish the year with 8-10 decent starts.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need to trade Marco this winter for the very same reason you said we should have traded Flexen last winter. But first Macro needs to come off the IL and finish the year with 8-10 decent starts.
I agree and I would add that we also have an abundance of starting pitchers. The sad part is that I think Flexen could've got us more last winter than Marco could get us if he came back healthy and had 8-10 good starts. Flexen was younger, cheaper and had better numbers.

Even if he finishes the year strong, sadly I think Marco would mostly be a salary dump in a trade.