• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

the nope challenge.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking this might be the year I finally stop watching the Bengals cold turkey.

should be easy for pre-season and fall, there are other things to do, family stuff, yard work, and so on.

If the Bengals are out of the playoffs by the time it gets cold, then the temptation should be easy to pass on.

Do you think I can do it?

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking this might be the year I finally stop watching the Bengals cold turkey.

should be easy for pre-season and fall, there are other things to do, family stuff, yard work, and so on.

If the Bengals are out of the playoffs by the time it gets cold, then the temptation should be easy to pass on.

Do you think I can do it?

I literally didn't watch or look up anything Bengals since December until the 1st of August when ironically I saw that Beyonce picture on TY randomly. Serious. Then I browse hear and there for anything interesting.

I'm pretty much done with the Reds and UC basketball too. Especially UC baskteball. Man that was some bullshit against Nevada. Jesus. I poured my heart out for them too. Nah. I'm good.

UC Football, yes. At least they never insulted me indirectly with shenanigans, they try their very hardest. They saved my life in 2009 when I was facing some family trouble while depressed. They almost made it all the way. They've been relatively down since the Big East split, but finally we have a coach ( Fickell ) who is capable of getting high recuits. We already have the best G5 class as of next year. He's killing it.

But back to the Bengals. I have no clue why I'm still around considering what happened in 2015 Wild Card. We still have some leftover talent from that nightmare, so I guess it's still a little tiny bit of hope. That faded when Marvin Lewis is coming back though. Again, I have no clue besides Beyonce lmao.

I'll watch the opener for about a half until Andrew Luck destroys us again, afterwards I'm out. Then I'll take a peak at the first Steelers game that's been a high quality 3 hour clown movie for a few years now and I love repeats. Can't go wrong with the classics.

But yeah. I deleted all of my fan stuff on my laptop and threw away my Bengals gear. I'm pretty much checked out until Marvin Lewis and Mike Brown are good. And even then their kids will probably take over. That doesn't give me confidence whatsoever.

I'm in my late 20's and I'm already too old for this shit. It's time for me to move on.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
381.gif

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's difficult. I drew a line in the sand with Marvin Lewis.... Said if they re-hired him, I'm done.

Obviously I am still here and paying attention. I have dropped the Sunday ticket - There will be no temptation to watch them beyond the 1 or 2 games they have that will be played nationally (I'm not in market and I don't assume they'll be on a lot). I'm too old to go to a sports bar. So, we'll see where this gets me. For now, it's a pretty soft break up.... Sorta like breaking up but still having a fling here or there.... But maybe another babe (team) will come along?

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's difficult. I drew a line in the sand with Marvin Lewis.... Said if they re-hired him, I'm done.

Obviously I am still here and paying attention. I have dropped the Sunday ticket - There will be no temptation to watch them beyond the 1 or 2 games they have that will be played nationally (I'm not in market and I don't assume they'll be on a lot). I'm too old to go to a sports bar. So, we'll see where this gets me. For now, it's a pretty soft break up.... Sorta like breaking up but still having a fling here or there.... But maybe another babe (team) will come along?

FC Cincinnati is kinda good. The new Soccer team that came here. I don't watch Soccer like that though.

You know what's messed up? Marvin has been here so long he's basically been a father figure to Cincinnati itself. Take that for whatever it's worth.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've watched a few FC Cincinnati games, I couldn't tell you the first thing about the players.

I think moving up from usl to mls they will get a rude awakening.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn’t watch a game last season. I may have been at a bar while one was on.

I’ll probably watch this season, though. No idea why.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FC Cincinnati is kinda good. The new Soccer team that came here. I don't watch Soccer like that though.

You know what's messed up? Marvin has been here so long he's basically been a father figure to Cincinnati itself. Take that for whatever it's worth.

Umm.... Yeah, I don't watch soccer.

FC Cincinnati is typical 'Cincinnati'... Once the ticket prices start going up and the wins start going down, the fans will turn on them.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll do what I've done for several years now.

If I'm home, I'll flip them on, but I won't go out of my way to make sure I am home in time to watch.

If I'm not home, I won't worry about it all too much. I may track on my phone, but again, not going to go out of my way to keep track/update.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I enjoy football, I root for my hometown team. I will make sure I watch all televised games, and even plan on having a couple private parties for Bengals vs. Browns games. I have a standing thing, where when the Bengals are at home, my wife and I cater to my friend and his wife, and when the Browns are at home, they cater to us. I will root. I will check on them. I will read Hobson's bull crap. I will even keep the fingers and toes crossed on a final FG attempt to win the game. However, if they lose, I don't care that much anymore. I am not all pissed and ready to break shit up. It is something to enjoy in my spare time with my wife on Sunday's. I don't like going to the games in person anymore. I don't like the traffic, crowds, pricing and the fact I don't get to hear any of the announcers take. I can pause the game if I have to take a squirt, or want to go to the fridge to get another beer. I can sit on my couch and enjoy myself. If something comes up I need to do in the middle of the game, I will just hit stop and finish watching the recorded end of the game later.

I am about to buy YouTube TV so I will not have NFL Network so I will have to go to my dads to watch the Thursday night game, but it is nice to go spend a little time with my dad, so that is the reward all in itself. YouTube TV, $40 bucks a month, I get like 60+ channels, unlimited DVR, on demand content, and I get the local channels including FOX Sports Ohio / Cincinnati, so I can watch the Reds if I choose to. No more negotiating with TWC/Spectrum/Directv, just watch what is on local channels here and if I can't get them on a local channel, will go to my dads, or to a sports bar if I feel that motivated.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I enjoy football, I root for my hometown team. I will make sure I watch all televised games, and even plan on having a couple private parties for Bengals vs. Browns games. I have a standing thing, where when the Bengals are at home, my wife and I cater to my friend and his wife, and when the Browns are at home, they cater to us. I will root. I will check on them. I will read Hobson's bull crap. I will even keep the fingers and toes crossed on a final FG attempt to win the game. However, if they lose, I don't care that much anymore. I am not all pissed and ready to break shit up. It is something to enjoy in my spare time with my wife on Sunday's. I don't like going to the games in person anymore. I don't like the traffic, crowds, pricing and the fact I don't get to hear any of the announcers take. I can pause the game if I have to take a squirt, or want to go to the fridge to get another beer. I can sit on my couch and enjoy myself. If something comes up I need to do in the middle of the game, I will just hit stop and finish watching the recorded end of the game later.

I am about to buy YouTube TV so I will not have NFL Network so I will have to go to my dads to watch the Thursday night game, but it is nice to go spend a little time with my dad, so that is the reward all in itself. YouTube TV, $40 bucks a month, I get like 60+ channels, unlimited DVR, on demand content, and I get the local channels including FOX Sports Ohio / Cincinnati, so I can watch the Reds if I choose to. No more negotiating with TWC/Spectrum/Directv, just watch what is on local channels here and if I can't get them on a local channel, will go to my dads, or to a sports bar if I feel that motivated.

Did the same a year ago. Went to Hulu, cut cable. Some games on Thurs are available depending on if someone is streaming them. I think last year, Yahoo did a few games, etc...Could be wrong about that, though.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m still around. But it’s increasingly difficult to care these days. Just can’t drink the Hobs kool-aid and pump myself for another season of Marvin Lewis and Andy Dalton.

Haven’t paid attention much since the draft. Even then I really wasn’t as invested as usual.

Like others have said, I’ll probably watch occasionally (have Sunday Ticket this year so there’s that) but won’t go out of my way. Honestly if it wasn’t for fantasy football I wouldn’t be nearly as into the NFL. This coming from someone who loves football, played all the way through school.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Obviously I am still here and paying attention. I have dropped the Sunday ticket - There will be no temptation to watch them beyond the 1 or 2 games they have that will be played nationally (I'm not in market and I don't assume they'll be on a lot).

What games do you get? Here in DC, the NFL product couldn't be worse to keep me as a fan. I get every Skins game on Fox, and ever Ravens game on CBS - absolutely miserable. I stopped getting Redzone 3 years ago bc I'd rather spend days watching college than NFL, and regarding the Bengals, I'm in the same boat. Since they brought back Marv, I'm fully out. $0 and zero eyes going toward them. I don't need to watch us shit our pants in Pittsburgh anymore.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What games do you get? Here in DC, the NFL product couldn't be worse to keep me as a fan. I get every Skins game on Fox, and ever Ravens game on CBS - absolutely miserable. I stopped getting Redzone 3 years ago bc I'd rather spend days watching college than NFL, and regarding the Bengals, I'm in the same boat. Since they brought back Marv, I'm fully out. $0 and zero eyes going toward them. I don't need to watch us shit our pants in Pittsburgh anymore.

I'm outside of Richmond.... I'm in the same boat as you. Always Redskins.... Lots of Ravens (but not always). It will be pretty miserable to watch the local games this year. My only hope is for some good national games at the 4:00 timeslot. Spend the early part of the day doing family stuff or getting crap done around house. Check the Bengal score on my phone - Laugh when it changes every single time before halftime.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the thing that was most disheartening as a fan was Florio's report this offseason that Mike Brown didn't want to get rid of Marvin Lewis because he was afraid any viable candidate to replace him would want to make significant changes. Obviously there is no way to know that this is accurate, but I think it's pretty much what we all suspect.... Brown isn't fully interested in winning at all costs. The Rooney family is. We have to live in the same division with those guys. It's hard to accept the idea that we are rooting for losers.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the thing that was most disheartening as a fan was Florio's report this offseason that Mike Brown didn't want to get rid of Marvin Lewis because he was afraid any viable candidate to replace him would want to make significant changes. Obviously there is no way to know that this is accurate, but I think it's pretty much what we all suspect.... Brown isn't fully interested in winning at all costs. The Rooney family is. We have to live in the same division with those guys. It's hard to accept the idea that we are rooting for losers.

I can agree with that, but on the same token, would any new viable coach be able to bring enough change to make a difference? Keep in mind, I think Brown wants to win, but he needs the HC to win in his business model. That being of one where you are signing guys to contracts that the organization will be able to fulfill (meaning affordable), not have to cut them and take a massive cap hit 2 years into the deal.

Is Pittsburgh really that much different from a front office stand point than us? Do they spend big money on FA players? Do they mostly sign their own? Do they start looking to jettison players who want too much or cause locker room issues now? I do not see Pittsburgh and Cincinnati being that much different front office wise, they just have a better mentality and tradition than us, and that tradition is instilled in each player as they become a Steeler from the other vets.

Is Tomlin really that much better of a coach? In critical situations, very possibly. Thing I recognize between Lewis and Tomlin though, Tomlin wants to put his foot to your throat when he gets up, Lewis is comfortable pumping the breaks and trying to grind it out on the ground whether it is working or not.

Play calling needs to be more aggressive and play to win versus playing to not lose. I honestly do not see a big difference other than aggressiveness, mindset and tradition.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Puke. I live north of Dallas. Nothing but Cowboys 24-7. And the rest of the NFC East. Felt like I was forced to watch the greasefire 3-13 NY Giants every week last season. As far as AFC games, CBS likes to show the Texans (bleh) for the first few games until everyone realizes they suck.

Redzone was a godsend. Had it for 6 years. Only way I watched games outside of prime time and the occasional game at a bar with buddies.

Switched to DirectTV and got the Ticket this year. So I’m sure the temptation will be there to watch the Bengals. Thank god for fantasy football. Main thing that keeps me interested these days.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can agree with that, but on the same token, would any new viable coach be able to bring enough change to make a difference? Keep in mind, I think Brown wants to win, but he needs the HC to win in his business model. That being of one where you are signing guys to contracts that the organization will be able to fulfill (meaning affordable), not have to cut them and take a massive cap hit 2 years into the deal.

Is Pittsburgh really that much different from a front office stand point than us? Do they spend big money on FA players? Do they mostly sign their own? Do they start looking to jettison players who want too much or cause locker room issues now? I do not see Pittsburgh and Cincinnati being that much different front office wise, they just have a better mentality and tradition than us, and that tradition is instilled in each player as they become a Steeler from the other vets.

Is Tomlin really that much better of a coach? In critical situations, very possibly. Thing I recognize between Lewis and Tomlin though, Tomlin wants to put his foot to your throat when he gets up, Lewis is comfortable pumping the breaks and trying to grind it out on the ground whether it is working or not.

Play calling needs to be more aggressive and play to win versus playing to not lose. I honestly do not see a big difference other than aggressiveness, mindset and tradition.

Pittsburgh and Cincinnati are both small market franchises. They both don’t spend huge dollars on FA. However, the transition of dysfunction and losing still clings to one. Where as the other has built a brand around winning culture. Everyone respects the Rooneys. The Brown family are an running punchline.

I’ve said it numerous times. Mike Tomlin is a mediocre coach. The main thing that separates him from Marvin is he has a HOF QB in Big Ben. That, and being gifted a defense full of HOFers early in his tenure. Tomlin is also much more aggressive than Marvin. That team goes for the kill. The Bengals play not to lose, and it always bites them.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, they are different. The Bengals approach to FA isn't wrong - Several franchises use the same approach. I don't have an issue with it. That's where similarities end.

The Rooney family employs football people to make football decisions. Their football operations staff is more than twice the size of the Bengals and not simply filled with old family friends. There is a reason they get so much out of mid-round draft picks. They have better facilities because they invest. And their culture isn't built on excuses and hopes that failures won't repeat themselves.

Is Tomlin a good coach? I don't think so.... And I suspect his days are numbered. We'll see.