• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The new helmet rule is dumb

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The game is not played in slow motion

And?

There is more than enough time keep your eyes forward when you make a tackle. Yes, some of these calls in the preseason have been just plain wrong. But many of them have been correct & are easily avoidable.

Like I previously stated, these judgement calls need to be review-able.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the first 17 pre-season games, hits were flagged under this new rule about 1.5 times per game. If it ends up being called less frequently than that in the regular season, I think it's mainly because the way it's being flagged now is going to modify behavior so that the type of hit that draws the flag happens with less frequency vs. a conscious decision by the officials to just let some of them go unflagged.

I think it would be more honest if they just changed the name of the penalty to "looks bad hit" because that's pretty much what is going on these days. If a hit looks bad in real time, out comes the yellow. Just lump all hit-related penalties into this 1 because that's where it's all going anyway.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they played without helmets this rule could be eliminated.

If they played without helmets, it would basically be rugby.

The game has been changing some for player safety, but mostly as others have said, to protect themselves from lawsuits.

There will be some ejections, but I think only the most obvious hits will be called. The one that everyone will be waiting to see how it gets called is the ball carrier lowering his head for impact.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well seeing as this dude cannot express himself without a vulgarity laden speech I think we can just ignore him. If you're not bright enough to speak with some level of education then why would anyone respect any opinion you may have to offer?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This rule is not going away and it shouldn't like any rule change there will be an acclamation period. The refs and the league will go back study the film make adjustments it will take time but I feel it's far more important to protect the players then it is to create ESPN highlight reels.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't watch the other night. Haven't seen highlights.

But my opinion is it's ghey. There hasn't been an New rule in football that wasn't ghey since they brought back 2 point conversations.

Football is not good for you physically. Never has been. Was a time when most male occupations weren't. Then the pussies took over. And those are the people these rules are for.

Ex players in wheelchairs or committing suicide doesn't work well when recruiting parents and their children to continue the game. The term is tackle, not spear/blow-up/obliterate/destroy etc. Unfortunately, this will be extremely difficult to officiate and will only create bad calls on both sides until they get a feel for it. There will always be bad calls regardless (they still can't get holding right for chrissakes), but it will definitely take some time to get this at least whittled down to a minor roar of complaints.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ex players in wheelchairs or committing suicide doesn't work well when recruiting parents and their children to continue the game. The term is tackle, not spear/blow-up/obliterate/destroy etc. Unfortunately, this will be extremely difficult to officiate and will only create bad calls on both sides until they get a feel for it. There will always be bad calls regardless (they still can't get holding right for chrissakes), but it will definitely take some time to get this at least whittled down to a minor roar of complaints.
To add to this, the helmet was created / implemented to protect players not to be used as a weapon. People that don't see these things are not looking for the truth. It's ignorant to think this step forward is not good for the game.