• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NBA rookies Thread

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@flyerhawk , @Sparhawk ...what's your take on Knox?

I don't think he's a 3.

But, I sorta like him.

I also like Jontay Porter.

Not where we are picking.

But, he would be a great get late in the 1st.

I want either Sexton or Gilgeous-Alexander and then best big available.

But, I haven't figured out who that will actually be.

I'm just not sold on Robert Williams.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think he's a 3.

But, I sorta like him.

I know almost nothing about college players, aside from watching them in the tournament.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think he's a 3.

But, I sorta like him.

Knox had good size and a 7' wingspan.
However, I'm not sold on his average FT% and low BLK%/STL%.
Maybe there is offensive potential there, but I'd really be looking for proven defenders that maybe can learn to shoot, instead of the other way around, but again, that's just me. Covington-like players, if you will....

Jontay Porter intrigues me with his length, but I like these guys that are close to 1.0 Blocks and Steals per game. If they are plus defenders, then you look at FT% and other shooting stats to see if they can contribute offensively. He projects as an average 3P% shooter, so if he adds value defensively, then I place him ahead of Knox.

Robert Williams has a 7' 4" wingspan, could be a decent defender, but is limited offensively, notably his poor FT% and no shooting from beyond the arc. Could be a 1-2 block per game guy, but you have to ask yourself is that what your team needs as we move to having as many shooters on the court as possible. I hope the Sixers come nowhere near this guy.

Colin Sexton, decent size for a PG, but low steals and blocks. Decent FT%, but he did not shoot well from beyond the arc in college. Subpar AST% for a PG in the NCAA, so I would pass here, as well.

SGA intrigues me. Good 3P% and excellent FT%. 2.0+ STL+BLK. This is a player I take a chance on. 6' 6" with a 6' 11" wingspan. Exactly what I'm looking for.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knox had good size and a 7' wingspan.
However, I'm not sold on his average FT% and low BLK%/STL%.
Maybe there is offensive potential there, but I'd really be looking for proven defenders that maybe can learn to shoot, instead of the other way around, but again, that's just me. Covington-like players, if you will....

Jontay Porter intrigues me with his length, but I like these guys that are close to 1.0 Blocks and Steals per game. If they are plus defenders, then you look at FT% and other shooting stats to see if they can contribute offensively. He projects as an average 3P% shooter, so if he adds value defensively, then I place him ahead of Knox.

Robert Williams has a 7' 4" wingspan, could be a decent defender, but is limited offensively, notably his poor FT% and no shooting from beyond the arc. Could be a 1-2 block per game guy, but you have to ask yourself is that what your team needs as we move to having as many shooters on the court as possible. I hope the Sixers come nowhere near this guy.

Colin Sexton, decent size for a PG, but low steals and blocks. Decent FT%, but he did not shoot well from beyond the arc in college. Subpar AST% for a PG in the NCAA, so I would pass here, as well.

SGA intrigues me. Good 3P% and excellent FT%. 2.0+ STL+BLK. This is a player I take a chance on. 6' 6" with a 6' 11" wingspan. Exactly what I'm looking for.
So, Mikal Bridges would be ideal for you.

Tyus Battle and Zhaire Smith might be options too.

But, they are a full tier, maybe more, below Mikal for me.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tankathon has him going to the Sixers with their 2nd pick (#26).
6' 6" with a 6' 9" wingspan.
Decent steals, excellent FT%, so he projects as a 39% shooter from beyond the arc in the NBA.
Doesn't block shots, so I would want to know who was he being asked to defend in NCAA.
Low AST% for a guard.
Could be a decent 3&D guy, but I would need to look at how opponents shot against him going 1v1.

I like his shooting and at that point in the draft if anyone is going to make the Celts roster they would need to at least play D and shoot 3's.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like him.

But, not near the lottery.

Where you guys are picking.....

If you don't pay smart, how about Brunson?

Another guy, and I hate his guts, Grayson Allen?

If his head is on straight, he would fit really well on your team with his shooting.

They cant keep Smart and Rozier. I Think Scary Terry is now a starter in this league. To me, he gets traded next year. Jabari Bird can be our next SG and so I feel Celts have to draft somebody who can really contribute. The roster is already deep. Perhaps Danny trades this pick and Rozier and something else for something he does not have now.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh yeah.

Mikal is my top pick if we get #10.
Then Zhaire Smith.
Not sure about Tyus Battle, as I haven't researched him just yet.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Love Mikal Bridges. Would be awesome for the 76ers to land him.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They cant keep Smart and Rozier. I Think Scary Terry is now a starter in this league. To me, he gets traded next year. Jabari Bird can be our next SG and so I feel Celts have to draft somebody who can really contribute. The roster is already deep. Perhaps Danny trades this pick and Rozier and something else for something he does not have now.

Do you worry that Boston is so worried about who their “next” player is going to be that they’re not keeping some of the young talent that they do develop? At what point do they say — we don’t want to pay this guard (Smart? Rozier?) this much money but we also can’t afford to start Jabari Bird if we want to win a championship so we’ve got to pay him. In other words, eventually you’ve got to pay some of the good players on your team because you won’t always be able to replace them the way that you were able to replace IT and Bradley.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
De'Aaron Fox will represent the Kings at the draft lottery. He made numerous clutch shots during the regular season to keep the Kings from getting a top 3 pick, time to be clutch off the court and swipe a top 3 pick.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you worry that Boston is so worried about who their “next” player is going to be that they’re not keeping some of the young talent that they do develop? At what point do they say — we don’t want to pay this guard (Smart? Rozier?) this much money but we also can’t afford to start Jabari Bird if we want to win a championship so we’ve got to pay him. In other words, eventually you’ve got to pay some of the good players on your team because you won’t always be able to replace them the way that you were able to replace IT and Bradley.

Yup I do worry. Their have been many interviews where Ainge discusses that to survive in the modern cap you have to stagger your deals and have the right mix of max deals and rookie deals, in order to have the capability to sustain. Smart and Rozier is such a situation. I suspect the Celtics think they need $100M for three max players, and they need a decent bench and some mid-exception deals, and few vets.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His ability to finish at the rim is astounding.

He's thicker than Iverson.

So, he's more Wade-esque.

I think Mitchell has been outstanding and he is critical to his team.

But to use an accumulation stat like PPG and then say "I don't care about how many shots he takes" is kinda ridiculous.

He's got the 3rd highest usage rate of a rookie with more than 100 minutes played ever. He has the 4th most shot attempts per game for a rookie ever.

He is their offense and he should get huge credit for that. Amazing that he has progressed as much as he has so quickly.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Mitchell has been outstanding and he is critical to his team.

But to use an accumulation stat like PPG and then say "I don't care about how many shots he takes" is kinda ridiculous.

He's got the 3rd highest usage rate of a rookie with more than 100 minutes played ever. He has the 4th most shot attempts per game for a rookie ever.

He is their offense and he should get huge credit for that. Amazing that he has progressed as much as he has so quickly.
Huh?

Did you mean to quote my post?

I'm confused where the " I don't care about how many shots " statement came from.

All I said was he's a terrific finisher at the rim.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh?

Did you mean to quote my post?

I'm confused where the " I don't care about how many shots " statement came from.

All I said was he's a terrific finisher at the rim.
Oh sorry. I meant to quote the Tweet. Not sure why that didn't come over.

Oh I see what happened. You were quoting @bksballer89 That's what I was responding to.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't think it should be close. Simmons does so much more.

Simmons -- Top 10 defensive player in NBA right now. (maybe even Top 5)

Interesting to remember how bad his LSU team was 2 years ago. (blame coaching)