• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NBA rookies Thread

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put me on the record for stating that Ayton's college numbers more closely resemble Okafor's than they do Embiid, KAT, or AD.....
So, you wouldn't want him to be your pick?

I think Doncic or Mikal fits better with your squad.....Porter if he's healthy.

But, I'm hoping you are wrong about Ayton.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He just hasn’t done enough to show that he can handle NBA defense.
I hope I’m wrong too.

Only way we pick him is if we get #1, but I like Doncic there regardless.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put me on the record for stating that Ayton's college numbers more closely resemble Okafor's than they do Embiid, KAT, or AD.....

I do not think that is a valid comparison. At least not one that can be made looking at stats.

Okafor's problem is that he does not play a lick of defense at a position where defense is more important than offense. Ayton is longer and he moves his feet better than Okafor. I have not seen enough of him to seriously evaluate, but from what I hear, his defensive lapses at AZ were mostly mental and being out of position. That can be learned and improved pretty quickly. Okafor can't move his feet. No cure for that.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not think that is a valid comparison. At least not one that can be made looking at stats.

Okafor's problem is that he does not play a lick of defense at a position where defense is more important than offense. Ayton is longer and he moves his feet better than Okafor. I have not seen enough of him to seriously evaluate, but from what I hear, his defensive lapses at AZ were mostly mental and being out of position. That can be learned and improved pretty quickly. Okafor can't move his feet. No cure for that.

I would disagree in that Okafor has excellent footwork with his post moves on offense.
It just doesn’t translate to defense. A useless 7’ 5” wingspan.
Trust me, I spent some time researching Okafor’s numbers to see if this could have been predicted. That’s why Ayton’s numbers jumped out at me.

Hope he proves me wrong.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would disagree in that Okafor has excellent footwork with his post moves on offense.
It just doesn’t translate to defense. A useless 7’ 5” wingspan.
Trust me, I spent some time researching Okafor’s numbers to see if this could have been predicted. That’s why Ayton’s numbers jumped out at me.

Hope he proves me wrong.

Offensive footwork has nothing to do with this. Footwork is a skill. I am talking about foot speed that Okafor clearly lacks. Ayton has that. Ayton is a physical specimen with skills who lacks defensive fundamentals. Okafor is a skilled post player who lacks athletic measurables and is playing in the wrong era.

There is no comparison. You are wasting your time looking at stats here. I am not saying Ayton will definitely hit, but there is no comparison between him and Okafor as prospects. They are much different.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offensive footwork has nothing to do with this. Footwork is a skill. I am talking about foot speed that Okafor clearly lacks. Ayton has that. Ayton is a physical specimen with skills who lacks defensive fundamentals. Okafor is a skilled post player who lacks athletic measurables and is playing in the wrong era.

There is no comparison. You are wasting your time looking at stats here. I am not saying Ayton will definitely hit, but there is no comparison between him and Okafor as prospects. They are much different.

Perhaps.
Though I could point out that 'wasting time' is why we discuss things here.... :D

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I had been consistently thinking that the Sixers would take a 3 and D player in this draft. And they certainly could.

But I'm coming around to them actually drafting another big man. At least if they hit lottery gold and get the No. 1 pick. Someone like Bagley or Bamba or Ayton would make the Sixers really really tough defensively. Particularly Bamba.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps.
Though I could point out that 'wasting time' is why we discuss things here.... :D

True.

Just saying, comparing numbers only takes you so far. A big like Okafor is going to get blocks and rebounds in college because he is big and the opposition isn't good enough to expose him defensively. A lot of scouts questioned his ability to defend at the NBA level from day 1.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no doubt. make sure that cat STAYS there...

Yeah, don't want him sneaking back into LA and then popping up like an evil Jack In The Box and making some crazy rant about how Luke can't coach and the Lakers have too many white guys or some shit. lol

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben Simmons 1 board away from the triple double as a rookie in his first playoff game.

Wowzas

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats peoples opinion of Gary Trent Jr in upcoming draft?

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tankathon has him going to the Sixers with their 2nd pick (#26).
6' 6" with a 6' 9" wingspan.
Decent steals, excellent FT%, so he projects as a 39% shooter from beyond the arc in the NBA.
Doesn't block shots, so I would want to know who was he being asked to defend in NCAA.
Low AST% for a guard.
Could be a decent 3&D guy, but I would need to look at how opponents shot against him going 1v1.

They have Keita Bates-Diop and Isaac Bonga going shortly after Trent Jr., so I would pass on Trent Jr. and take a flier on either of those two, but that's just me. Sixers roster will be tight, so I favor Bonga as an international stash.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tankathon has him going to the Sixers with their 2nd pick (#26).
6' 6" with a 6' 9" wingspan.
Decent steals, excellent FT%, so he projects as a 39% shooter from beyond the arc in the NBA.
Doesn't block shots, so I would want to know who was he being asked to defend in NCAA.
Low AST% for a guard.
Could be a decent 3&D guy, but I would need to look at how opponents shot against him going 1v1.

They have Keita Bates-Diop and Isaac Bonga going shortly after Trent Jr., so I would pass on Trent Jr. and take a flier on either of those two, but that's just me. Sixers roster will be tight, so I favor Bonga as an international stash.
Yeah, Bates-Diop would be a win.

I like Hutchinson too.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like him.

But, not near the lottery.

Where you guys are picking.....

If you don't pay smart, how about Brunson?

Another guy, and I hate his guts, Grayson Allen?

If his head is on straight, he would fit really well on your team with his shooting.