• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Mariners' offense has improved: truth or myth?

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been three times during the season in which moves were made that seemingly impacted the offense.

The first time was after game 53 when they called up Endy Chavez and recalled Logan Morrison. At that point they had scored 218 runs to date and were on pace to score 666.

The second time was after game 101 when they called up Chris Taylor and reacquired Kendrys Morales. At that point they had scored 406 runs to date and were on pace to score 651.

The third time was after game 108 when they acquired Austin Jackson and Chris Denorfia. At that point they had scored 424 runs to date and were on pace to score 636.

Through game 138 (presently) they have scored 546 runs and are on pace to score 641.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they are not winning games because of the offense, no question. They are winning games because of the pitching.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they are not winning games because of the offense, no question. They are winning games because of the pitching.
That may be true, but pitching is NOTHING without run support, and that's been proven. Just ask Felix.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been three times during the season in which moves were made that seemingly impacted the offense.

The first time was after game 53 when they called up Endy Chavez and recalled Logan Morrison. At that point they had scored 218 runs to date and were on pace to score 666.

The second time was after game 101 when they called up Chris Taylor and reacquired Kendrys Morales. At that point they had scored 406 runs to date and were on pace to score 651.

The third time was after game 108 when they acquired Austin Jackson and Chris Denorfia. At that point they had scored 424 runs to date and were on pace to score 636.

Through game 138 (presently) they have scored 546 runs and are on pace to score 641.

I think it is a myth.

Game 115 - 459 Runs - proj. 646
Game 129 - 529 Runs - proj. 664

Depending on where you take your sample from, it could skew the results. If it is after a week of low scoring then yes the avg will go down. I understand your point of seeing what the callups or changes are doing long term, but it would be better to see it on a graph of the whole season.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truth:

The reason I say this is the fact that the team has been so much better than in previous years getting clutch hits. The team's .268 BA with RISP is the highest they've had since 2007, and the first time since 2009 they've been over .240 (.226, .222, .239, .228 from 2010-2013). They're also hitting .271 with runners on base (highest since having the same average in 2008). If they could just hit higher than .230 with the bases empty they'd have a much better offense.

Throughout the season we've seen the team hit really well when there are players on. Just last night the strung together a six run innings with nothing but singles (I think) with 2 outs. I wish they'd have a higher overall run total, but they have shown that they can score, even if it's a little inconsistent.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is a myth.

Game 115 - 459 Runs - proj. 646
Game 129 - 529 Runs - proj. 664

Depending on where you take your sample from, it could skew the results. If it is after a week of low scoring then yes the avg will go down. I understand your point of seeing what the callups or changes are doing long term, but it would be better to see it on a graph of the whole season.

I've considered doing a graph. Still might. I've tracked their pace all year long and, after the 50 game mark, it's been in a range between 630-680 after any given game. The last time it was around 680 was right before the all star break. Since then it has been between 630-655.

Stoker, your point about them being a better clutch hitting team is a valid one. Raw stats (like runs scored) don't show intangibles like that.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That may be true, but pitching is NOTHING without run support, and that's been proven. Just ask Felix.

Yeah no shit! Point is if you give up fewer runs then you wont need to score as much.

Without pitching, hitting means nothing too. Just ask the Colorado Rockies.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the all-star break, the M's have scored the 7th most runs in the American League. Still not great by any means, but significantly better than their pre-break ranking of 11th in the American League. In August, the M's were the 5th highest scoring team in the AL and so far in September, they're the 4th highest scoring team in the AL.

If you look at the runs per-game average for each month, they started out slow in April, improved by about half a run in May and June and then completely fell off a cliff in July. Since August 1st, however, they've averaged 4.6 and 5.2 runs per game in August and early September respectively. When you consider that they came off a 2.9 runs per game average in July, I think it's safe to say that the improvements made at or just before the deadline were pretty significant. I'm not just talking about the guys we picked up either. Ackley's been hot since July, Seager has been much better since mid-May, we stopped giving guys like Almonte, Hart, Smoak and Miller regular playing time and we've just had a more stable lineup 1-6, with mixed results in spots 7-9 since the deadline. This offense could still be significantly better than it is, but they've gotten considerably better in the last month or so.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we stopped giving guys like Almonte, Hart, Smoak and Miller regular playing time and we've just had a more stable lineup 1-6, with mixed results in spots 7-9 since the deadline. This offense could still be significantly better than it is, but they've gotten considerably better in the last month or so.

Amen

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've clearly improved, but that's obvious. When you sign a bat like Cano, you're going to improve. Yah he doesn't have the homers, but he's got the average and that's huge. I'll take a guy that can bat .320 any day over a guy that's betting .220 with 40 homers. Cano also moved from a VERY lefty hitter friendly park to Seattle which is like the worst hitter friendly park in the last 15 years (only San Diego rivals it).

Add in some Kyle Seager and some decent trade (WTF?) situations in Jackson along with a top 15 minor league system and it's no surprise Seattle has improved.