• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Last Movie You Watched (no spoilers)

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s awesome and all. But just like Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation, an important historical moment doesn’t necessarily translate into good cinema.

But YOU posed the question, so what?

I'm saying it was one of the most pivotal moments in modern history.

Would it have made for better movie making if he'd made some of those speeches while under fire from Stuka divebombers? I guess.

But if you didn't get the 'so what?' out of that movie, maybe it's not the movie's fault?

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darkest Hour: 3/5 stars. Enjoyable enough throughout, but at the film’s conclusion I couldn’t help but think “So what?” I get that they wanted to focus on a very specific part of Churchill’s reign, but it ended up feeling a bit small.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: 4.5/5 stars. This is one of the best movies of the last 10 years. Sam Rockwell and Frances McDormand gave the performances of their lives. It was a movie about anger and hatred and hurt. We would all be wise to contemplate about the movie.

Three Billboards would have been my pick for best picture of the nominees (albeit, I have not seen Phantom Thread, Call Me by Your Name, and Ladybird). I thought it was pretty good, but nothing outlandishly special. To be perfectly honest, I didn't think these nominees were fantastic this year.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: 4.5/5 stars. This is one of the best movies of the last 10 years. Sam Rockwell and Frances McDormand gave the performances of their lives. It was a movie about anger and hatred and hurt. We would all be wise to contemplate about the movie.
Agree with this review. Saw it a week ago and I am still thinking about it.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw Constantine for the first time in over a decade.

This is honestly one of the worst scripts I've ever seen. I feel like someone could've written this as they went along just by taping together bits from every other movie of this genre. That said, the casting in this movie is fairly noteworthy for how many chances it took. Its as if the overall idea of the movie was to cast a bunch of models and then shoot the movie in the most uncomfortable angles possibles. Rachel Weisz in particular is a model who can actually act and she has to do the heavy lifting by being a scientific detective/love interest/mcguffin/twin sister/religious beacon/sidekick. Shia Labouff gets cast as himself and gets just as much screen time as one would hope. Keaunu Reeves is just badass enough to pull his character off without actually needing to do any acting throughout the movie.

The overall opinion of the movie comes down to how much you like the final act, I'd imagine. Slo mo time effects, pacts with the devil, keanu getting redemption, giving satan the middle finger. Its all a cheesy kind of fun.

B

I really enjoy this movie. Love the cast. I was hoping for a sequel. John Constantine could have been a badass!

Hurray for John Wick! :yes:

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You need more booty in your life. :suds:
CycV.gif

giphy.gif

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
???

The entire way the modern world geo-politically speaking works, could have been altered forever. Britain goes out early, and the US potentially never enters the war, axis wins....

And then....

So what?
The “so what” referred to the decision to make an entire 2 hour movie that culminated in a rousing speech. I’m sure W’s decision to enter the Iraq War had huge ramifications, but it doesn’t necessarily make for a good movie. Just like a million other moments in history.

It’s not like I hated the movie, I gave it a positive review for fuck’s sake. I was just expecting a more compelling climax after the great buildup.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn’t think you could make a big budget movie with Rockwell’s character today; even set in the south. After the first hour, I knew they were going to try to give him redemption and make him a sympathetic character. I thought no fucking way they can pull that off. They did.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The “so what” referred to the decision to make an entire 2 hour movie that culminated in a rousing speech. I’m sure W’s decision to enter the Iraq War had huge ramifications, but it doesn’t necessarily make for a good movie. Just like a million other moments in history.

It’s not like I hated the movie, I gave it a positive review for fuck’s sake. I was just expecting a more compelling climax after the great buildup.

He was a great speech-maker. It was his most well known speech. If you're at all aware of that history, it WAS a compelling buildup.

What did you think it was going to BE about?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did you think it was going to BE about?
The Liverpudlian mafia, dirty money, political assassinations.... I don't fucking know- I don't get paid the big money to write the scripts! I mean, for fuck's sake, Neville Chamberlain just steps down??? I wanted to see Churchill gag the guy with a big plastic bag, then Chamberlain breaks out but Winny slits his throw with those fancy straight-blades they have in London. A few sex scenes wouldn't kill anyone either!

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was a great speech-maker. It was his most well known speech. If you're at all aware of that history, it WAS a compelling buildup.
Being serious, I assume you mean climax, because I already said I really liked the buildup.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Liverpudlian mafia, dirty money, political assassinations.... I don't fucking know- I don't get paid the big money to write the scripts! I mean, for fuck's sake, Neville Chamberlain just steps down??? I wanted to see Churchill gag the guy with a big plastic bag, then Chamberlain breaks out but Winny slits his throw with those fancy straight-blades they have in London. A few sex scenes wouldn't kill anyone either!

Right, so in other words, you don't know bupkus about the guy or the period in question.

:)

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did think while watching it (I'd seen Dunkirk already), that it would make a great back to back learning tool for a history class to watch the TWO movies, here's the outcome of the politics, here's the politics.

Without Churchill demanding it be done, none of those guys get off the beach, and England likely surrenders.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, so in other words, you don't know bupkus about the guy or the period in question.

:)
I'm hoping you recognized my sarcasm character. Either way, you're on the money about me knowing little about Churchill and just possessing a working knowledge of WWII.

WWII is interesting to me, though, as is Churchill (mainly because he drank so much whiskey and smoked so many cigars while being so fat- you could say I envy him). It's funny how an event in which (without looking up the exact number) ~10s of millions of people were killed can be viewed as "interesting" to so many people years later. Not that I have a problem with it; it's just interesting to me.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping you recognized my sarcasm character. Either way, you're on the money about me knowing little about Churchill and just possessing a working knowledge of WWII.

WWII is interesting to me, though, as is Churchill (mainly because he drank so much whiskey and smoked so many cigars while being so fat- you could say I envy him). It's funny how an event in which (without looking up the exact number) ~10s of millions of people were killed can be viewed as "interesting" to so many people years later. Not that I have a problem with it; it's just interesting to me.

So given it was a biopic, what were you expecting?

And yeah, if all that upthread was sarcasm, it went about 5 miles above my head.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So given it was a biopic, what were you expecting?

And yeah, if all that upthread was sarcasm, it went about 5 miles above my head.
I didn't know much about Churchill's life. I wasn't necessarily expecting anything; I was hoping for good drama and a good movie. It was a good movie, which was cool. It just wasn't a great one to me.

No offense, and I like you as a poster, but I'm seriously wondering if you're on the spectrum if you didn't realize I was being sarcastic earlier.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense, and I like you as a poster, but I'm seriously wondering if you're on the spectrum if you didn't realize I was being sarcastic earlier.

Heh, holy hell buddy. Project much?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was being mostly facetious with my 'project much' comment, but you are just a wee bit obsessed with numbering and ordering everything.

So your comment struck me as a bit pot-kettle.

Now having said that, we HAVE had the discussion in the past that tone is tough on the interwebs, if you don't want to rely on the annoying emoji crutch. I have a very dry sense of humor and I'm used to people not getting it.

May I humbly suggest that PART of the issue with people not getting YOUR sense of humor is necessarily the delivery?

Own your own shit, don't ask if the other person is autistic.

It's not a good look.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was being mostly facetious with my 'project much' comment, but you are just a wee bit obsessed with numbering and ordering everything.

So your comment struck me as a bit pot-kettle.

Now having said that, we HAVE had the discussion in the past that tone is tough on the interwebs, if you don't want to rely on the annoying emoji crutch. I have a very dry sense of humor and I'm used to people not getting it.

May I humbly suggest that PART of the issue with people not getting YOUR sense of humor is necessarily the delivery?

Own your own shit, don't ask if the other person is autistic.

It's not a good look.
I think most (smart) people do get my humor on here (and in real life, but that’s a different story). And you are a smart dude, which is why I was surprised at your “project much” quip, though if you were indeed being mostly facetious, THAT ONE went right over my head (not sure how I should have seen it).

I don’t know, but if it were me and I saw someone on the internet with decent grammar and semi-coherent posts who, out of nowhere, starts posting shit about Winston fucking Churchill murdering people with lots of exclamation marks, that might set off some alarm bells. Maybe it’s just me.

And LOL at the numbering and ordering shit. Guilty as charged, I do love to rank and rate movies. It’s one of my hobbies. Full disclosure, I’m not on the spectrum though. I have gotten various psychological testing done, that has said I’m depressed, have Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, GAD, etc., but never anything related to autism.

But I DO love to rate and quantify movies (and when I capitalize random words, I’m making fun of you ;) )

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean when I said this shit?
Least favorite episode was easily S1E2. Fuck that episode. I know that the writers had to introduce Joffrey as a prick and follow the books at the same time, but goodness gracious, nobody fucking cares about a dog dying. I wanted Sansa, Arya (you're not innocent either you whiny prick), Joffrey, and King Robert to all die in the first five minutes of the next episode. Execution by firing squad, a la Valentine's Day Massacare. Sadly, GRRM is a fucking prick and doesn't even have guns in the series. WTF.
:pound:

<emoji inserted in hopes that chf gets I’m joking>