• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Last Movie You Watched (no spoilers)

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O Brother, Where Art Thou?[:] 3/5 stars. This is the second Coen Brothers film I've given 3/5 stars in the last 7 days, though I did definitely enjoy No Country For Old Men More.

This movie's plot was a bit unfocused. Obviously, the treasure turns out to be a MacGuffin, which is fine, but I would have wished there was a bit more character development or witty dialogue in its place. This movie kind of felt like a video game in the sense that it went from scene to scene, each with a new boss to beat, and then it all (kind of) ties together at the end.

Clooney was awesome, as were both Turturro and Tim Blake Nelson (I particularly liked Turturro's backup dance moves during their recording session and subsequent stage performance).

I haven't looked this up, but did anyone notice all the homages to Cool Hand Luke (4/5 stars) that appear in the film? I thought it was really cool. Here are all the ones I noticed.

1. The four-way crossroad shot
2. The arch villain guard with dark sunglasses
3. Both films have prisoners slaving away, doing manual labor at the beginning
4. Both main characters (Clooney and Newman) have atheistic tendencies, while doubting their atheistic beliefs at times as well
5. Clooney and Newman both lead the way for other prisoners
6. Clooney and Newman are both smart, cool, and really handsome fellas

Anyone else notice any others?

I'll leave you all with this awesome tutorial in dancing from the legendary John Turturro

giphy.gif

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Netflix's TITAN.

Kinda meh. Interesting premise that couldn't really go anywhere. SPOILER

With him being the only guy to survive the DNA post human process, how the fuck is he going to terraform another moon/planet? How's he going to procreate? Why are they going to bother actually paying to send him to Titan?

that made it too hard for me to swallow my disbelief.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw the new Thor on my new 4k TV. Pretty solid with some laughs mixed it. Looked great. 7/10

Also watched the new Star Wars. Meh, it was okay. 5.5/10

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw Death of Stalin.

Funny movie, really dark and worth seeing just for Steve Buscemi and Jeffrey Tambor. The people in this movie make the characters in Always Sunny and Archer look like saints. Very quotable but it gets a bit boring towards the end.

B

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Quiet Place: 2.5/5 stars. For all the purposeful silence and attempted build-up of suspense, I was left rather bored at times throughout this movie.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle.

I think without Jack Black this movie would've been a Suicide Squad level of movie. Lots of cringe worthy stuff but somehow managed to be somewhat enjoyable. Most of the video game cliches are actually movie cliches (Tomb Raider cliches actually being Indiana Jones cliches, for example) so its all kinda weird. If they were actually video game cliches, the characters would've used the guns against the bad guys and/or the Rock would've never let go of the Boomerang. I guess the plot isnt actually too different than Destiny 2 but thats not the best game ever. The scene with Tom Hanks' son was a nice touch and slightly different than what I was expecting.

Still....lots of really dumb things in the movie.

I'll just give it a C.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isle Of Dogs (2018)

Isle of Dogs is a love letter to dogs and Japan, two things I like a lot. It's Wes Anderson, so a little substance is replaced by quirkiness. "Unique" might be the best word to describe this one. It's entertaining.

B+

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pawn Sacrifice on blu ray. It's a biopic on Bobby Fischer. 7/10 from me and imdb. The scenes of the final match were riveting. Hats off to Toby McGuire and Liev Schrieber.

Dusty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Perfect Storm, Comcast “On Demand” free movies.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game Over, Man.
Disgustingly funny. I laughed way too hard at the crude, repulsive humor.

Will probably watch again some day.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game Over, Man.
Disgustingly funny. I laughed way too hard at the crude, repulsive humor.

Will probably watch again some day.
I heard there was full-dong action in this one. I think I will be passing...

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went on an Oscar Best Picture tear and watched: Three Billboards, Shape of Water, and Darkest Hour.

Personally, I thought they all had some glaring issues, but they all had great things about them too. I would probably put them all at a 7-8 out of 10 given that some of the issues are hard to overlook.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The King's Speech.

Best movie I've seen in a while.

I haven't seen it so I won't speak to how good it is, but would you give it the nod for Best Picture over the other nominees that year?

Other Nominees
127 Hours
True Grit
The Social Network
The Fighter
Winter's Bone
Inception
Black Swan
The Kids Are All Right
Toy Story 3

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen it so I won't speak to how good it is, but would you give it the nod for Best Picture over the other nominees that year?

Other Nominees
127 Hours
True Grit
The Social Network
The Fighter
Winter's Bone
Inception
Black Swan
The Kids Are All Right
Toy Story 3

Hmmm, I really enjoyed True Grit and The Fighter that year. But from a cinematography aspect, Kings Speech did it for me.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Other Nominees
127 Hours
True Grit
The Social Network
The Fighter
Winter's Bone
Inception
Black Swan
The Kids Are All Right
Toy Story 3
Imo, The Social Network, King's Speech and Winter's Bone are the three that stand out from that list. I think all three are a bit sensationalized but I'm perfectly fine with King's Speech winning movie of the year.

The Fighter is also really good.