• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Hoiberg effect on the bulls

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here are the changes I see coming with Fred Hoiberg taking over.

1. Minutes distribution will begin to even out. I don't expect to see anyone near 40 minutes a game.
2. Noah and Gasol may finally be broken up. I could see him starting Gasol and Gibson, but also giving Noah and mirotic big minutes as a tandem. This may also lead to a trade.
3. Mirotic, snell, and McDermott will have a larger role. Dunleavy probably won't be back, so I expect to see snell start. Hoibergs offense is based around points in the paint and three balls. Therefore I see more time given to our teams three ballers. I also see Derrick Rose and Butler being big pieces to our offense. Butler will probably be the teams big mid range threat, but he will drive and shoot more threes next year. Pau Gasol is going to be a big piece to the offense for his points in the paint as well.
4. The defense will be like it was in the regular season last year. We have the personnel that can lock down, but defense won't be concentrated on.
5. We may go through a period of turbulence at the beginning of the season.

Anyone else have anything to add?

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, I am not expecting much. I am the one that remembered the last time we gave up on a coach for an Iowa state coach and it was a huge train wreck. Pro players simply do not respect College coaches and we dont have players on this team that will scratch plays.

Jimmy Butler needs to start at the 3, move to the 2 when McDermott is in the game. Noah is done, Gasol is too slow for playoff basketball, whines too much, its gonna get ugly.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, I am not expecting much. I am the one that remembered the last time we gave up on a coach for an Iowa state coach and it was a huge train wreck. Pro players simply do not respect College coaches and we dont have players on this team that will scratch plays.

Jimmy Butler needs to start at the 3, move to the 2 when McDermott is in the game. Noah is done, Gasol is too slow for playoff basketball, whines too much, its gonna get ugly.

this coach is a 10 yr nba veteran and a guy who is worked in an nba front office. while he is coming from the same place as tim floyd was, this is a completely different situation.

SilverFalco8

TXOD BX 507
Hoopla Cash
$ 87.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could they start Rose Bulter Mitotic Gasol Noah? That would be a legit starting five.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're the one? The only one? We all remember that, you sound like a dweeb.

Tim Floyd and Fred Hoiberg really only have 1 thing in common, and that's that they both coached at Iowa state. Hoiberg is a player friendly coach. I'll bet the players take to him very well. This whole team is very coachable.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're the one? The only one? We all remember that, you sound like a dweeb.

Tim Floyd and Fred Hoiberg really only have 1 thing in common, and that's that they both coached at Iowa state. Hoiberg is a player friendly coach. I'll bet the players take to him very well. This whole team is very coachable.
Here's the roster of men who have gone straight from college head coaches to NBA head coaches since the 1993-94 season (* denotes first head NBA job):

• Lon Kruger* (Illinois to Atlanta Hawks): 69-122 from 2000-03, no playoffs
  • Rick Pitino (Kentucky to Boston Celtics) 102-146 from 1997-2001, no playoffs
  • John Calipari* (UMass to New Jersey Nets): 72-112 from 1996-99, 0-3 in playoffs
  • Tim Floyd* (Iowa State to Chicago Bulls): 49-190 from 1998-2002, no playoffs
  • Mike Montgomery* (Stanford to Golden State Warriors): 68-96 from 2004-06, no playoffs
  • P.J. Carlesimo* (Seton Hall to Portland Trail Blazers): 136-109 from 1994-97, 3-9 in playoffs
  • Reggie Theus* (New Mexico State to Sacramento Kings): 44-62 from 2007-09, no playoffs
  • Leonard Hamilton* (Miami Hurricanes to Washington Wizards): 19-63 in 2000-01, no playoffs

Its just flat out not a successful route to success.

Look, in baseball, Anthony Rizzo is a really good player, but to have the current brain trust of the cubs chasing him after they left Boston, Hoyer getting him in a trade to San Diego, then the cubs trading their one prospect that could have been a legit ace to get him again just leaves a bad vibe. The Bulls are already guilty of this with McDermott. Paxson stalked him all thru highschool and college, then made the move to get him. A real nba coach didnt use him. The same thing happened with Hoiberg it what seemed like whenever Freddie decided to coach in the NBA, he just had to tell Paxson he was ready.

Its up to god whether he will survive, deciding to come to the pro ranks a month and a half after his second heart procedure.

You can compare all you want, but it goes farther than Iowa State and pretty much one of the reasons Calipari stays in college. You are no longer dealing with kids on the yellow brick road, you are dealing with multi millionaires with agents and possee's in their ears.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could they start Rose Bulter Mitotic Gasol Noah? That would be a legit starting five.

They can do alot with an offensive minded coach. Thibbs would not do this since it would be Niko or Noah trying to guard the two or the three that Jimmy wasnt guarding. Its knowing you will play with the lead or expecting to play from behind, instead of looking at how any team in the league is gonna guard us.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the roster of men who have gone straight from college head coaches to NBA head coaches since the 1993-94 season (* denotes first head NBA job):

• John Calipari* (UMass to New Jersey Nets): 72-112 from 1996-99, 0-3 in playoffs
  • Mike Montgomery* (Stanford to Golden State Warriors): 68-96 from 2004-06, no playoffs
  • P.J. Carlesimo* (Seton Hall to Portland Trail Blazers): 136-109 from 1994-97, 3-9 in playoffs
  • Reggie Theus* (New Mexico State to Sacramento Kings): 44-62 from 2007-09, no playoffs
  • Leonard Hamilton* (Miami Hurricanes to Washington Wizards): 19-63 in 2000-01, no playoffs

Look, in baseball, Anthony Rizzo is a really good player, but to have the current brain trust of the cubs chasing him after they left Boston, Hoyer getting him in a trade to San Diego, then the cubs trading their one prospect that could have been a legit ace to get him again just leaves a bad vibe. The Bulls are already guilty of this with McDermott. Paxson stalked him all thru highschool and college, then made the move to get him. A real nba coach didnt use him. The same thing happened with Hoiberg it what seemed like whenever Freddie decided to coach in the NBA, he just had to tell Paxson he was ready.

Its up to god whether he will survive, deciding to come to the pro ranks a month and a half after his second heart procedure.

You can compare all you want, but it goes farther than Iowa State and pretty much one of the reasons Calipari stays in college. You are no longer dealing with kids on the yellow brick road, you are dealing with multi millionaires with agents and possee's in their ears.

those coaches were taking over horrible teams. it is still a players league and the bulls have enough talent to be the 2nd best team in the east. the bulls needed a change and an offensive minded coach. they got both. the road to beating the cavs isnt going to get any easy though. we are watching 2 rookie nba coaches facing each other in the nba finals this yr. times change. hopefully fred works out.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mirotic isn't a three.

mirotic doesnt have a position. he has to ditch the flopping and just play. when his crazy flops dont draw fouls they turn into turnovers. he also has to grow a pair and attack the glass to be anything in this league

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I understand your concern. We have all gotten the idea that college coaches haven't had the best success in the NBA, but Hoiberg is a completely different case. You also have to realize that none of those coaches had the talent on their roster that Hoiberg does. Not even close. Hoiberg is also a likable players coach. I seriously doubt the players tune him out. With the group of players we have, I seriously doubt them tuning a coach out is an issue. They didn't even tune Thibs out and Thibs was a hard ass that players began to turn on.

On a side note, I have always thought that Thibs would make a much better college coach.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mirotic doesnt have a position. he has to ditch the flopping and just play. when his crazy flops dont draw fouls they turn into turnovers. he also has to grow a pair and attack the glass to be anything in this league
I agree with everything, but Mirotic not having a position. He most certainly does, and it is a 4.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a side note, I have always thought that Thibs would make a much better college coach.

so would that dork down in miami who wants his players to flop like high school girl basketball. That is the mentality with a young team before they get posse's and jaded multi millions. As soon as your players make more than you do they just stop listening. When you have "advisors" like Reggie and a pissed off BJ Armstrong who is still holding a grudge for not being named GM.

Like I said before, I think Paxson thinks he will be like Riley and have a coach that will go where he points. I just dont think Paxson realizes that Riley did it as a coach long before being the puppet master. Assistants are going to be crucial.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so would that dork down in miami who wants his players to flop like high school girl basketball. That is the mentality with a young team before they get posse's and jaded multi millions. As soon as your players make more than you do they just stop listening. When you have "advisors" like Reggie and a pissed off BJ Armstrong who is still holding a grudge for not being named GM.

Like I said before, I think Paxson thinks he will be like Riley and have a coach that will go where he points. I just dont think Paxson realizes that Riley did it as a coach long before being the puppet master. Assistants are going to be crucial.
I disagree with spo being a good college coach. I don't think he is even a good coach period. He got lucky with the roster given to him. They should've at least made the playoffs in the east last year, but they didn't. Spo and Blatt are just lucky coaches in the NBA because they got Lebron who is a player coach.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saying that in college, there is still that inkling of players being afraid of the coach. Not afraid afraid, just worried that the coach could pull his playing time and cost him being a lottery pick in the draft. Thats the power college coaches have where pro coaches do not.

I have not watched much of the finals, I saw Blatt with the dry erase and Smith joking with another guy on the bench, then comes over not even realizing he was in the game. When I was watching Kimmel and Sandler, the pregame started and Smith is on some RC skateboard thing flying thru the corridors getting to the dressing room. Thats why the Bulls never gave JR a uniform number those few days we had him.

Seems there is a whole group of guys on that cleveland team thinking lebron is gonna buy them a ring. Imagine if they kept Wiggins after Golden State pulls this off.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saying that in college, there is still that inkling of players being afraid of the coach. Not afraid afraid, just worried that the coach could pull his playing time and cost him being a lottery pick in the draft. Thats the power college coaches have where pro coaches do not.

I have not watched much of the finals, I saw Blatt with the dry erase and Smith joking with another guy on the bench, then comes over not even realizing he was in the game. When I was watching Kimmel and Sandler, the pregame started and Smith is on some RC skateboard thing flying thru the corridors getting to the dressing room. Thats why the Bulls never gave JR a uniform number those few days we had him.

Seems there is a whole group of guys on that cleveland team thinking lebron is gonna buy them a ring. Imagine if they kept Wiggins after Golden State pulls this off.
I get what you mean about college coaches, but Hoiberg didn't get the best out of his players by doing that. Someone like Thibs would do that. If someone like Thibs was coming from college to the pros I would be more worried, but Hoiberg is a players coach. He wanted the players to have fun. He has also had a lot of experience in the NBA and knows what incentives work from coaches and what doesn't. He's also been in a front office. He knows what he's doing. If you are worried about Hoiberg, it should be because he might be the next Mike D'Antoni and deplete this team of its defense. Not that the players would tune him out. One of the pluses of this team is they don't tune out the coach. Thibs would've been tuned out on other teams a long time ago. I wouldn't be surprised if he is the reason many top FAs ignored Chicago.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free agents just know that Reinsdork will not pay luxury taxes unless its a damn near guarantee that is the guy that brings the title back. But dancing around the cap is what keeps the team competitive each year, not lakerlike falling off the face of the earth when they decide to stop spending.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here are the changes I see coming with Fred Hoiberg taking over.

1. Minutes distribution will begin to even out. I don't expect to see anyone near 40 minutes a game.
2. Noah and Gasol may finally be broken up. I could see him starting Gasol and Gibson, but also giving Noah and mirotic big minutes as a tandem. This may also lead to a trade.
3. Mirotic, snell, and McDermott will have a larger role. Dunleavy probably won't be back, so I expect to see snell start. Hoibergs offense is based around points in the paint and three balls. Therefore I see more time given to our teams three ballers. I also see Derrick Rose and Butler being big pieces to our offense. Butler will probably be the teams big mid range threat, but he will drive and shoot more threes next year. Pau Gasol is going to be a big piece to the offense for his points in the paint as well.
4. The defense will be like it was in the regular season last year. We have the personnel that can lock down, but defense won't be concentrated on.
5. We may go through a period of turbulence at the beginning of the season.

Anyone else have anything to add?
I agree with your post. I think our Offense is going to look a lot smoother. He will like Snell and mcdermott. I like splitting up Noah and Gasol. If u do u will have an elite rebounder on the floor at all times. I do agree with you a trade looks like it might happen. either with Noah or Gibson. One might have to get traded to finally get that SG that can spread the floor for Rose and butler. We will see an more up tempo offense and yes mins won't be crazy for players. OT games don't count towards mins. I think we need to find that elite back up PG that can come in and our offense won't miss too much of a beat.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really do not get the Gasol signing, seemed like another Boozer boobie prize at the time, but seems if you completely take the GArpax side to this, I kinda see:

Gasol was needed because the bulls knew how bad Noahs knee was, So Noah should have gotten limited minutes off the bench until he got back to game shape, Gibson should have started.

Noah would come in for Gasol, Mirotic would spread the floor when Gibson left.

I always though Dunleavy was signed to be a 20 minute man, not a starter
McDermott was drafted to learn that Dunleavy 20 minute job

After the summer league, when Snell was full of confidence it should have been
PG, Snell, Butler, Gibson, Gasol starting

Snell goes out, Butler to the 2, Dunleavy in at the 3 against their bench guy, Mirotic and Noah file in.

Jimmy was always gonna log big minutes.

Instead you got 40 minute men and Noah and Gasol both playing the 5.

Mirotic took the step halfway thru the season and was Mr fourth quarter multiple times, ends up getting benched when rose returned at the end.

Thibbs is all about defense and the bulls got him offensive players. I guess we see if Hoiberg is on this page with Garpax.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gasol was a great signing and he had a great year. Cant be upset with that. I agree about some of those rotations. Dunleavy is suppose to be a 20 min man. He was not suppose to be a starter. I also agree That Gasol and Gibson should play together and Noah and Mirotic. Mirotic and Gasol should never play together. I also think Rose needs to play 10-12 min as the SG so we would need another PG. This would give rest to Rose and take some of the pressure off of him.

I think Hoiberg is going to be great for this team.