• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Donovan Mitchell Thread

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been wondering about Rubio myself, and why he's not averaging more.

It's something that's been on my mind this month (without having seen enough games to have any kind of reason).

As you can tell by the thread I created when he signed, I was expecting a lot of assists, too, just like you.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now, maybe the best we can hope for for this season is for Mitchell to have a month where he averages 7 assists per game.

There is still that upside with him.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been wondering about Rubio myself, and why he's not averaging more.

It's something that's been on my mind this month (without having seen enough games to have any kind of reason).

As you can tell by the thread I created when he signed, I was expecting a lot of assists, too, just like you.

Because he fell in love with his early scoring. But then reality of his poor shooting acumen set in without the requisite change in play. Either that or Snyder's system is shitty got PG assist accumulation. Sorry for the language, but if you mess with assists, you mess with me. ;)

Yes, I am aware he shot considerably better the latter half of last year versus the first half and scored more.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bump?

Also, what do you think about adding a special section in at least some of your game MVps section, for Mitchell?

Like any extra notes or streaks or something.

I will tell you but you have to pay me first. ;)

You press the first game you want and then the end game, it should pop up with that segment. Copy the "permanent link"button. If you click on a number above the original game, it modifies it to include that new spot to the orignal end. I think it does the same if you click after the end game with respect to the iriginal first game. But maybe it does a stretch from the original last game to the new end?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will tell you but you have to pay me first. ;)

You press the first game you want and then the end game, it should pop up with that segment. Copy the "permanent link"button. If you click on a number above the original game, it modifies it to include that new spot to the orignal end. I think it does the same if you click after the end game with respect to the iriginal first game. But maybe it does a stretch from the original last game to the new end?

Thank you. That's a cool feature!

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to this fantasy update, Mitchell is considered in the running for rookie of the year.

+++++++++++++

Thu, Dec 7

Ben Simmons hit 6-of-14 shots and missed both his free throws for 12 points, 13 rebounds, 15 assists and a block in Thursday's loss to the Lakers.

Advice: He slid over to power forward tonight with Dario Saric out, but still played like a stud point guard. This was the third triple-double of the season for Simmons, although he's come extremely close to a lot more before falling just short. He's the front runner for Rookie of the Year, but Donovan Mitchell isn't going away quietly.

(Rotoworld.com)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben Simmons is not a rookie. He's a second year guy who learned and sat on the bench. Don't agree? What year is Exum on now? Does that include missed time?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben Simmons is not a rookie. He's a second year guy who learned and sat on the bench. Don't agree? What year is Exum on now? Does that include missed time?

If someone misses their entire first year, they're still a rookie officially their second year.

The same thing happened with Blake Griffin and Greg Oden.

It's always been like that.

Exum played in his first year, so he's not a rookie. Missing a whole year in future years doesn't merit an adjustment in his status.

In the NBA, there's only 2 classes of players, rookies and non rookies.

But, the rookie year doesn't begin in terms of status if they miss their entire first year.

They still get paid, though.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If someone misses their entire first year, they're still a rookie officially their second year.

The same thing happened with Blake Griffin and Greg Oden.

It's always been like that.

Exum played in his first year, so he's not a rookie. Missing a whole year in future years doesn't merit an adjustment in his status.

In the NBA, there's only 2 classes of players, rookies and non rookies.

But, the rookie year doesn't begin in terms of status if they miss their entire first year.

They still get paid, though.

Thank you, but I understand that. He's not a rookie. I don't care what they consider it. A redshirt freshman is not a freshman. A true freshman is. Yes, they have more eligibility to play, but so what? They're not a freshman. Blake Griffin and Greg Oden were second year players, but got the ROY award as a farce. But alas, it's not fair they got sick the night before the prom. They deserve a dance, so they get an award for first year in play.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you, but I understand that. He's not a rookie. I don't care what they consider it. A redshirt freshman is not a freshman. A true freshman is. Yes, they have more eligibility to play, but so what? They're not a freshman. Blake Griffin and Greg Oden were second year players, but got the ROY award as a farce. But alas, it's not fair they got sick the night before the prom. They deserve a dance, so they get an award for first year in play.

Thanks.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the 12 games (of 29) that he has scored 20 Points or more, here are the stats:

27 PPG (17.8)
52.4 FG% (41.7%)
42.0 3-PT% (36.6%)
87.5 FT% (85.0%)
3.5 APG (3.5)
3.2 RPG (3.1)
1.8 SPG (1.4)
2.58 TOs Per Game. (2.48 for the season)

Don't like the TOs. What's an acceptable Assist to TO rate for a rookie.

Observations:

1. Obviously, the better you shoot, the more points you score (assuming volume is the sufficient and comparable). No surprise here. I set the filter on points. In games he scored fewer than 20 points, the FG% is unacceptable.
2. His assists are the same either way and his steals go up in these games, so transition? Minutes?
3. TOs go up in these games. 0.17 doesn't seem like a lot, but that's 13 more in a season (calculated both sides).
4. Rebounds are basically the same, so the points aren't necessarily offensive rebound putbacks - means that higher percentage in these games is either being hot or driving to the hoop instead of tip ins or alley-oops.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the 12 games (of 29) that he has scored 20 Points or more, here are the stats:

27 PPG (17.8)
52.4 FG% (41.7%)
42.0 3-PT% (36.6%)
87.5 FT% (85.0%)
3.5 APG (3.5)
3.2 RPG (3.1)
1.8 SPG (1.4)
2.58 TOs Per Game. (2.48 for the season)

Don't like the TOs. What's an acceptable Assist to TO rate for a rookie.

Observations:

1. Obviously, the better you shoot, the more points you score (assuming volume is the sufficient and comparable). No surprise here. I set the filter on points. In games he scored fewer than 20 points, the FG% is unacceptable.
2. His assists are the same either way and his steals go up in these games, so transition? Minutes?
3. TOs go up in these games. 0.17 doesn't seem like a lot, but that's 13 more in a season (calculated both sides).
4. Rebounds are basically the same, so the points aren't necessarily offensive rebound putbacks - means that higher percentage in these games is either being hot or driving to the hoop instead of tip ins or alley-oops.

I'll try to research this sometime and come back to this.

But, John Hollinger has pointed out a few times that young players who turn the ball over a lot can show a sharp improvement, and end up with a good to great A/T in future years.

Players who are average at turnovers don't improve much, and generally don't show those great A/T ratios.

I don't have the hard data, and this was something I read back when Hollinger still worked for ESPN, so prior to 2012.

It's just something I remembered reading a few times.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll try to research this sometime and come back to this.

But, John Hollinger has pointed out a few times that young players who turn the ball over a lot can show a sharp improvement, and end up with a good to great A/T in future years.

Players who are average at turnovers don't improve much, and generally don't show those great A/T ratios.

I don't have the hard data, and this was something I read back when Hollinger still worked for ESPN, so prior to 2012.

It's just something I remembered reading a few times.

Thanks. Didn't like how he wasn't multi-dimensional tonight, but he did shoot 11-16, 3-6 from downtown.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mitchell is not going to average many assists in his career.

He could get better at steals though.

And Dennis Lindsey acquiring him is a step in keeping away from @MHSL82's Purgatory.

So Lindsey gets a half thumb up. There's still more work to be done, though.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't look like Mitchell is going to match his December outside of points and rebounds. Boo. He's averaging 9.3 three point shots per game in January. 6.3 from Downtown in December. So I think if he can take 3 more two point shots per game and 3 fewer three's, he'll have his month high in points (already has it on average, but could more convincingly).

He'd have to average 4.8 assists and 2.2 steals per game for the next 7 to average what he did in December. I'd settle for December numbers here on out. Teams are adjusting to him. He had good shots when people saw him as a rookie. Now, he might be forcing things, though still shooting well. I mean, I'm talking about 47.7% in January versus 50.7% in December, with three more deep shots per game. Are they open or forced? Replace those three with drives to the basket and you get a make, a miss, and 2 free throws. Or a dish out for an assist. Do more with the ball, Mitchell.

Don't be a Hood (just shoots). Just don't. Or worse, an Exum (just sitting on the perimeter).

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't look like Mitchell is going to match his December outside of points and rebounds. Boo. He's averaging 9.3 three point shots per game in January. 6.3 from Downtown in December. So I think if he can take 3 more two point shots per game and 3 fewer three's, he'll have his month high in points (already has it on average, but could more convincingly).

He'd have to average 4.8 assists and 2.2 steals per game for the next 7 to average what he did in December. I'd settle for December numbers here on out. Teams are adjusting to him. He had good shots when people saw him as a rookie. Now, he might be forcing things, though still shooting well. I mean, I'm talking about 47.7% in January versus 50.7% in December, with three more deep shots per game. Are they open or forced? Replace those three with drives to the basket and you get a make, a miss, and 2 free throws. Or a dish out for an assist. Do more with the ball, Mitchell.

Don't be a Hood (just shoots). Just don't. Or worse, an Exum (just sitting on the perimeter).

Lol.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I try pasting this URL, Xenforo tries to embed it but can't do it properly.

Search for "Donovan Mitchell Talks Importance of Sister Jordan Participating in Dunk Contest"