• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Dante Exum Thread

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good article.

The Case For Dante Exum: Tools Over Stats - RealGM Analysis

exumoffense.png
The numbers explain the biggest knock on Exum’s game as a rookie - that he wasn’t very aggressive and he spent most of his time standing in the corner and not making much of an impact on the offensive side of the ball. And while he wasn’t very effective individually, the more important part was that he did a good job of playing his role on a Jazz team that was very effective with him on the floor. You have to look at young players' production within the context of the team around them and from that perspective there’s nothing really to worry about when it comes to Exum. He still shows all the signs of becoming a really good player in the NBA for a long time to come.

exumteam.png

Gobert got most of the credit for Utah’s defensive surge but Exum played a significant role as well. It starts with his length and athleticism - at 6’6 195 with a 6’9 wingspan, he combines exceptional quickness with one of the longest frames in the league at his position. With two of the best interior defenders in the league playing behind him in Gobert and Derrick Favors, Exum could extend out and use his length to pressure opposing PG’s, the vast majority of whom were giving up a substantial number of inches. It’s just very hard to shoot over the top of a super-sized PG like Exum on the perimeter and there wasn’t much space to operate behind him either.

As a franchise, the Jazz have made a killing by drafting to a physical prototype. They are bigger, longer and faster than their opponents at almost every position and the two guys in their young core who struggled the most on defense - Trey Burke and Enes Kanter - were the only two who don’t fit that mold. With Exum (6’6), Alec Burks (6’6), Rodney Hood (6’8), Gordon Hayward (6’8), Trey Lyles (6’10), Derrick Favors (6’11) and Rudy Gobert (7’1), they can overwhelm teams with length.

Next article-

NBA Sunday: Dante Exums Emergence | Basketball Insiders | NBA Rumors And Basketball News

As a rookie, Exum played 22.2 minutes per game and eventually assumed the starter point guard role from Trey Burke. With the emergence of Rudy Gobert, the Jazz closed out the 2014-15 season by winning 20 of their final 31 games. The question now is whether the Jazz just “got hot” or actually turned a corner.

As it relates to turning corners, for Exum, that has never been a problem.

His blinding quickness and athleticism have enabled him to reach this point, but in order to truly reach his potential, there is much more required. For him, it will depend, first and foremost, on his ability to become a more consistent shooter at the NBA level, and that is something he is actively working on.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
* What you said about Exum standing in the corner, reminds me of the early criticism of Sean Livingston. He would bring the ball up the court, and then give the ball up to whomever he could. And it wasn't because he had found an open person, but he just seemed to want to give the ball up. Other players would have to do the creating.

Many people thought he wasn't aggressive enough.

Livingston also was longer (but skinnier) than many other players, and he could use that length to rebound and defend.

* In general, I think perimeter defense is the most important. The longer you can slow the ball from getting in the paint, the worse shot the opponent will probably have to take. And the longer the opposing team will have to work, to get a good shot.

That also allows more time for even an average big man defender to rotate if necessary.

I'll have to keep watching Exum, to see if *I* feel his defensive impact.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, I know, I know, I know that you can get an injury while you're mowing your lawn, get hit by a car, while practicing by yourself. But like I said about the George injury, if I were the team I would want to say no, despite the benefits of playing. I also know that if you don't keep yourself doing it, maybe you could be more likely to get injured later, but F it. Stay away from qualifiers, trust the rest of the team to make it there and then play in the Olympics when it comes. if you get injured while practicing at home or during the Olympics, too bad.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if someone gets hurt during summer league?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if someone gets hurt during summer league?

Oh well. I guess I'm just not very sports-patriotic. If I'm an employer, I want my employee able to perform for me, whether it be important (regular season/playoffs) or secondary (summer league) or unable due to work activity (season/playoffs/summer league), not at a party (something stupid) or part time job (international play). If they get injured driving to work (home practice) or mowing the lawn (real life stuff), oh well. Tough luck. But quit your part-time of I'm paying you enough and isn't that important (actual Olympics) and stay away from parties, use a taxi (no drunk driving), etc.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh well. I guess I'm just not very sports-patriotic. If I'm an employer, I want my employee able to perform for me, whether it be important (regular season/playoffs) or secondary (summer league) or unable due to work activity (season/playoffs/summer league), not at a party (something stupid) or part time job (international play). If they get injured driving to work (home practice) or mowing the lawn (real life stuff), oh well. Tough luck. But quit your part-time of I'm paying you enough and isn't that important (actual Olympics) and stay away from parties, use a taxi (no drunk driving), etc.

Mark Cuban shares this view too.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jazz's Exum passes on Aussie Olympic squad spot

Seriously? So he got hurt in the qualifiers and now he won't go? But to be honest, I didn't want him to go anyway. One, you get tired. Second is injuries. Obviously, you can get injured walking out of your car, too, but didn't like him playing last year. I always felt, if you're going to get injured, get injured working with our staff.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jazz's Exum passes on Aussie Olympic squad spot

Seriously? So he got hurt in the qualifiers and now he won't go? But to be honest, I didn't want him to go anyway. One, you get tired. Second is injuries. Obviously, you can get injured walking out of your car, too, but didn't like him playing last year. I always felt, if you're going to get injured, get injured working with our staff.

The Clippers doctors and trainers misdiagnose injuries, causing players to get more injured. Jared Dudley revealed some after he went to the Bucks. There's more recent examples too.

Last edited:

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good article. Thanks for posting.

It's only better for the Jazz to play Exum, if he shows improvement. He might not even get to as good as Mack. The average NBA career is 4.7 years. A lot of people don't last too long. Exum might be one of them, regardless of where he's picked.

He has to get to a playable level where others feel comfortable around him.

Veterans do like playing with young guys too, if they show a certain energy and improvement. It's on Exum to reach that level.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but this is stupid and we're both dumber for having read it. Exum at the least is a TBD. I understand that we only have had 9 picks and two of those nine were our best (Williams and Hayward) but trading two firsts for Burke is good enough for being the two worst Utah lottery picks.

I didn't agree with a lot of the "Worst Picks" myself. A lot of those players were either useful, regardless if better players were picked later.

And for Exum, there's still a chance he becomes a decent player. But I think he needs to play for a lottery team for 2 years and start.

This isn't the best situation to develop someone right now.