• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2016 Draft is Over...

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2:37 DL; Chris Jones
3:59 CB; Kei'Varae Russell
4:105 OT G; Parker Ehinger
4:106 CB; Eric Murray
4:126 WR; Demarcus Robinson
5:162 QB; Kevin Hogan
5:165 RB WR/KR/PR; Tyreek Hill
6:178 CB; D.J. White
6:203 DE;Dadi Nicholas

Strikethrough denotes position in college

List any thoughts you have here. I'll add some thoughts on the class as a whole tomorrow.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2:37 DL; Chris Jones
3:59 CB; Kei'Varae Russell
4:105 OT G; Parker Ehinger
4:106 CB; Eric Murray
4:126 WR; Demarcus Robinson
5:162 QB; Kevin Hogan
5:165 RB WR/KR/PR; Tyreek Hill
6:178 CB; D.J. White
6:203 DE;Dadi Nicholas

Strikethrough denotes position in college

List any thoughts you have here. I'll add some thoughts on the class as a whole tomorrow.
I think Chris Jones is a pretty stereotypical Chiefs pick. He is right at that threshold a defensive lineman needs to be to actually be quick enough to be a pass rush threat and he has all of the size and strength to play the 5 technique very well. They lined him up everywhere in college like Oklahoma used Gerald McCoy. CJ has really strong and active hands and can bull rush like every one of the Chiefs dlineman. Imo, he is really similar to Jaye Howard with more length, bigger hands, more potential weight in couple of years and more strength while playing with less speed and lacks balance sometimes. Despite his knock coming out Jones might actually be a bit more consistent than Howard who was also knocked for consistency in college. I'd expect him to get more sacks...probably around 7-8 a year.

As mentioned in a thread on the NFL main board, I like the fact that they took 3 different DBs with different skillsets. 1 safe CB (Murray), 1 upside CB (Russell) and 1 large CB/S/ST (White).

Dadi Nicholas is a hail marry and if he works out then cool.

I'm not sure I like the Ehinger and Hogan picks. Neither fit the Chiefs needs profile at all. Ehinger is a finesse...backup RT? who might see some play as a backup...G? but doesn't have the strength to be a factor in the run game. Doesn't really make sense as a pick if you think Alex Smith is the long term QB but Hogan doesn't really make sense as a developmental QB. Hogan has a really similar profile to Aaron Murray. I guess he could be seen as added depth because Daniel left and as a 5th rounder he was a good value so I can't complain.

Demarcus Robinson is probably going to bust but has enough talent to take a risk on him in rd4. Really good feet for getting separation and some good body control but he is really raw. Not the immediate impact WR Chiefs fans were probably wanting.

Tyreek Hill makes sense on paper. Hopefully they vetted this guy and found out that he got a bum rap or something but I think if he is who he is alleged to be then nobody is going to be rooting for this guy to make the team.

I think there will probably be 3 winners and probably 6 whiffs from this draft which isn't too bad considering where the Chiefs were drafting to start and what they lost to the Maclin tampering ordeal.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say when you guys took Eric Murray I was not a happy camper. Really love his game and think he is a very underrated player. Didn't get the attention because he played at Minnesota but to me if he played at Ohio State he would easily be at least a 2nd round pick.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just listened to the Matt Miller/Terez podcast breaking down the Chiefs draft, heard some very interesting things which may give some insight what the Chiefs' perspective may be on this draft. Miller was pretty enthusiastic about this haul when others have critiqued a lack of a instant starter; Miller seemed to disagree with this premise about 2-3 times by my count.

Miller's grade by pick

Grade:Actual Round

Green: Above value

Black: Roughly even

Red: Negative

Chris Jones 1st round(22): 2nd round

Russell 2nd round (45-50): 3rd round

Eric Murray 3rd round: 4th round

Parker Ehhinger 3rd round: 4th round

Demarcus Robinson 3rd round: 4th round

Kevin Hogan 5th round: 5th round

Tyreek Hill UDFA/Off Board: 5th round

DJ White 3/4th (90-100; stated to be top 100 prospect):6th

Dadi Nicholas* 5th round:6th

With Nicholas, he was apparently playing 3 tech (WTF?) which kind of shocked me given the descriptions of him I have read. All of the sudden I want to rewatch the VT-OSU games to see what exactly he was able to do. Also didn't have him on my radar at the time (didn't stand out to me and maybe that's why) which really threw me off.
http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/a/0/7/a07...63078507&hwt=cc8920a468a882ce0adacdec70284624

Last edited:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say when you guys took Eric Murray I was not a happy camper. Really love his game and think he is a very underrated player. Didn't get the attention because he played at Minnesota but to me if he played at Ohio State he would easily be at least a 2nd round pick.
That seems to be a pretty common opinion to varying degrees (or at least as frequent as those knocking Murray) which is interesting. Not thrilled about his height given what is in the division, but moving him inside, or now safety in minicamp, is very interesting to me. Tough bastard from what I remember when watching him against the Buckeyes.