• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Teach Me About Jon Boats

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At some point I will buy one of these, probably not before we move to Tennessee in retirement. I want a stable boat/trailer that's still small enough to store, possibly in a garage, with an electric motor so I can take it on all bodies of water. Capacity will probably be me (240 pounds), a big dog and on some occasions a not so big wife. I'll be using it for fishing in small lakes but want to be able to take it on larger lakes as well, but it will never see a really big body of water.

So 12 feet or is that too small? What amount of thrust would I need for the motor? Any other tips?

Thanks

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got 3 jon boats.

Go for 14 feet. You'll appreciate the extra 2 feet.

Get marine grade aluminum, welded, not riveted and you should be good to go.

That's what mine is, and I can load it in the bed of my truck by myself.

You can get a good 30 pound thrust trolling motor for not much more than a c note, and that should be more than enough for any lakes you'll want to go to. And get the proper battery, a regular car battery will make you have to paddle to shore.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At some point I will buy one of these, probably not before we move to Tennessee in retirement. I want a stable boat/trailer that's still small enough to store, possibly in a garage, with an electric motor so I can take it on all bodies of water. Capacity will probably be me (240 pounds), a big dog and on some occasions a not so big wife. I'll be using it for fishing in small lakes but want to be able to take it on larger lakes as well, but it will never see a really big body of water.

So 12 feet or is that too small? What amount of thrust would I need for the motor? Any other tips?

Thanks
It's a give and take. We have a small 10' one on a lake by my parents house. With two adults standing it can get a bit wobbly and can be cramped with all the gear. On the other hand, it's easier to move in the water and requires less power. So it's really a trade off between wanting a more spacious bigger boat, or wanting to either buy a cheaper trolling motor and getting away with it or getting a more expensive one and going faster. If I was out-right buying a new one, I'd be inclined to get more space that would give me the option of putting something like a live-well in later.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a give and take. We have a small 10' one on a lake by my parents house. With two adults standing it can get a bit wobbly and can be cramped with all the gear. On the other hand, it's easier to move in the water and requires less power. So it's really a trade off between wanting a more spacious bigger boat, or wanting to either buy a cheaper trolling motor and getting away with it or getting a more expensive one and going faster. If I was out-right buying a new one, I'd be inclined to get more space that would give me the option of putting something like a live-well in later.

Appreciate the take. No speed and storage are not a factor, though I don't think I want to got down as far as 10 foot. Most of the time I can see it being just myself and the dog, or maybe myself and a friend should I find one down there that likes to fish. But I don't want wobbly so I'm hoping 12 feet would be stable enough.

What amount of thrust is needed in the motor?

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got 3 jon boats.

Go for 14 feet. You'll appreciate the extra 2 feet.

Get marine grade aluminum, welded, not riveted and you should be good to go.

That's what mine is, and I can load it in the bed of my truck by myself.

You can get a good 30 pound thrust trolling motor for not much more than a c note, and that should be more than enough for any lakes you'll want to go to. And get the proper battery, a regular car battery will make you have to paddle to shore.

Yeah I'm familiar with the difference between a marine and car battery, big difference in the ability to discharge and recharge. Probably have a trailer so I won't load it in my truck but want to be able to store it in a garage. As I said I don't think I'll need the extra 2 feet but want to be stable.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What amount of thrust is needed in the motor?

It really will depend on the gross weight of the boat when it is on the water. It would be really hard to have too much thrust from a trolling motor. BTW, you can take some plywood and a 2X4 and build a good casting deck on a jon boat.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really will depend on the gross weight of the boat when it is on the water. It would be really hard to have too much thrust from a trolling motor. BTW, you can take some plywood and a 2X4 and build a good casting deck on a jon boat.

I don't know a damned thing about electric motors. Here's show stupid I am, are all electric motors considered trolling motors? I'm familiar with the set up where there is a gas motor to get you there, then a smaller electric trolling motor for, well you know. But if the motor is for both is it still considered a trolling motor? Are they best purchased new?

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know a damned thing about electric motors. Here's show stupid I am, are all electric motors considered trolling motors? I'm familiar with the set up where there is a gas motor to get you there, then a smaller electric trolling motor for, well you know. But if the motor is for both is it still considered a trolling motor? Are they best purchased new?

It's been a long time since I bought one so I am not the best person to ask at all.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't think there are any mass produced electric outboard motors. I actually did just a bunch of research on this for my inflatable boat that I just bought. The more thrust pounds the better but you aren't going to get outboard motor performance out of an electric trolling motor. I just got a 12v 40lb thrust motor and from reviews of my boat at full speed it will do about 4/5mph. The more volts (12, 24 or 36) gets you more power, but you'll also need 2 or 3 more batteries to run the higher ones. Looking around, it seems most people using a trolling motor as the main power for their boat typically only have 12v units anywhere from 30-60lbs of thrust. That will get you going 5-ish mph at top speed.

For the battery, pay attention to the Amp Hours. The larger that number, the longer the motor will run. Again, get the biggest one you can afford.

For the record, this is the one I just purchased:
Minn Kota Endura C2 40 Freshwater Transom Mounted Trolling Motor (36" Shaft)

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You swim like a rock, fish from shore.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't think there are any mass produced electric outboard motors. I actually did just a bunch of research on this for my inflatable boat that I just bought. The more thrust pounds the better but you aren't going to get outboard motor performance out of an electric trolling motor. I just got a 12v 40lb thrust motor and from reviews of my boat at full speed it will do about 4/5mph. The more volts (12, 24 or 36) gets you more power, but you'll also need 2 or 3 more batteries to run the higher ones. Looking around, it seems most people using a trolling motor as the main power for their boat typically only have 12v units anywhere from 30-60lbs of thrust. That will get you going 5-ish mph at top speed.

For the battery, pay attention to the Amp Hours. The larger that number, the longer the motor will run. Again, get the biggest one you can afford.

For the record, this is the one I just purchased:
Minn Kota Endura C2 40 Freshwater Transom Mounted Trolling Motor (36" Shaft)

Thanks for this. I don't see needing a lot of range or top end speed, obviously this is not a gas outboard motor and not a chance I invest in multiple batteries. I looked at several Minn Kota from Walmart and they were cheap, most under $200 plus the battery of course.

What can you tell me about shaft length? I'm assuming the longer ones give you more push but will obviously hit bottom easier.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for this. I don't see needing a lot of range or top end speed, obviously this is not a gas outboard motor and not a chance I invest in multiple batteries. I looked at several Minn Kota from Walmart and they were cheap, most under $200 plus the battery of course.

What can you tell me about shaft length? I'm assuming the longer ones give you more push but will obviously hit bottom easier.
The shaft length is mostly about being able to adjust the motor to your specific boat. If your boat sits really shallow in the water a longer shaft means you'll probably have to reach up higher to control the motor to have the prop in the water in the correct place. For most small boats, the 36'' shaft is going to be better (assuming you're mounting at the back). They adjust up and down so generally the longer shaft is better -- unless you are mounting it all the way up, then the handle will be high up in the air.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thanks

Jon boats are great I also like my kayak. It's light and easy to handle.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, if you are going to fish, I highly recommend a foot controlled electric motor. You can fish and hold position better at the same time.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, if you are going to fish, I highly recommend a foot controlled electric motor. You can fish and hold position better at the same time.
It dramatically increases the cost of the motor though and from what I know, most are bow mounted. If you're using it as the only propulsion method, it wouldn't be ideal to have it up front.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. I have a 67 lb thrust on mine and I fish a 45-50 acre lake with it. It is a must if you want to fish efficiently. Definitely worth the extra money as opposed to the tiller style.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although, I've been looking into Jon boats, and I do like the ability to customize the interior. If you add a deck to the front of a 12', you can make a nice little fishing boat with that. Maybe get two cheap trolling motors, one for the back and one bow mounted one with a foot control for the front. Just switch the battery depending on where you are.

This is pretty sweet and really wouldn't cost much at all. Some wood, carpet and the two motors. Heck if you got two batteries you could run the two motors at the same time and really get some speed.

20180221_173911-jpg.87311

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although, I've been looking into Jon boats, and I do like the ability to customize the interior. If you add a deck to the front of a 12', you can make a nice little fishing boat with that. Maybe get two cheap trolling motors, one for the back and one bow mounted one with a foot control for the front. Just switch the battery depending on where you are.

This is pretty sweet and really wouldn't cost much at all. Some wood, carpet and the two motors. Heck if you got two batteries you could run the two motors at the same time and really get some speed.

That's great! But the bow mount is all you'll need. The Transom mount tiller is overkill.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think this rig proved to me that a 12 foot is not too tippy with seats that sit this high. That's what I'm trying to figure out, I want a small one to fit in a garage but I weight 240 and don't want an unstable boat.

@Edisto_Tiger how do you get a foot control set up? Is that an add on to any electric motor? As I don't want to mess with 2 motors and batteries why can't I just mount it on the back like an outboard?