• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Taking a WR this draft for certain?

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or you could just as easily reverse this and say McGlinchey benefitted from blocking next to Nelson, a top 10 draft pick. You wouldn't be any more correct or incorrect in doing so.
Yes, but you are forgetting that I am not advocating for McGlinchey, so that point is moot.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think drafting Nelson would be a mistake.

He's literally the one guy who is full bust-proof (and I don't think I've used that term in my life). Most scouts are saying that if you were just looking at players as prospects and taking position out of the equation. Meaning, OG isn't valued lower than others... etc... Nelson would be one of (if not THE) single greatest NFL prospects of all-time.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You also have to account for the line he was on. He was blocking right next to another top 20 draft pick for a coach in the nfl now.

Yeah...

That's not how it works dude.

When you're a guard, you're not going to have shortcomings masked because of a good tackle. You still have to block your guy and execute your assignment.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's literally the one guy who is full bust-proof (and I don't think I've used that term in my life). Most scouts are saying that if you were just looking at players as prospects and taking position out of the equation. Meaning, OG isn't valued lower than others... etc... Nelson would be one of (if not THE) single greatest NFL prospects of all-time.
Everyone’s hard on for this guy is sort of what worries me. Either way, you won’t convince me that drafting a guard at 8 is a smart thing to do for a team in our predicament. If he’s the best fucking guard ever, he might improve our run game a little bit. If we get a solid OLB or DE, not even a world beater, our defense improves immensely.
Yeah...

That's not how it works dude.

When you're a guard, you're not going to have shortcomings masked because of a good tackle. You still have to block your guy and execute your assignment.
This post is nonsense. Sorry, but the guys your blocking next to can have an effect on your performance.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone’s hard on for this guy is sort of what worries me. Either way, you won’t convince me that drafting a guard at 8 is a smart thing to do for a team in our predicament. If he’s the best fucking guard ever, he might improve our run game a little bit. If we get a solid OLB or DE, not even a world beater, our defense improves immensely.

This post is nonsense. Sorry, but the guys your blocking next to can have an effect on your performance.

Everyone’s hard on for this guy is sort of what worries me.

What? Every NFL scout is in love with him, so you're not? lol

Either way, you won’t convince me that drafting a guard at 8 is a smart thing to do for a team in our predicament.

Our predicament is that we're trying to build an elite offensive line in front of Trubs. Drafting the best guard prospect of all-time isn't smart... how... exactly?

If he’s the best fucking guard ever, he might improve our run game a little bit.

:L

All in all, this post gets 5 face-palms: :L:L:L:L:L

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone’s hard on for this guy is sort of what worries me.

What? Every NFL scout is in love with him, so you're not? lol

Either way, you won’t convince me that drafting a guard at 8 is a smart thing to do for a team in our predicament.

Our predicament is that we're trying to build an elite offensive line in front of Trubs. Drafting the best guard prospect of all-time isn't smart... how... exactly?

If he’s the best fucking guard ever, he might improve our run game a little bit.

All in all, this post gets 5 face-palms: :L:L:L:L:L
Remember the last mega prospect at their position that we drafted too early? And Nelson would have to be as good as the hype indicates to improve our line. We already have two very good guards. We can probably improve our line just as much by grabbing Price, Wynn, or Daniels in the second and sliding Whitehair over.

Last edited:

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@richig07
It’s also not that I think the guy is going to be terrible, I just think we can get a player at another spot that will improve our team more. Nelson will have to be fucking great to justify the 8th picks as a guard. I still don’t buy that he’s immune to being a bust.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nelson protecting Trubs and blowing run lanes open for the next 10 years is a great bang for our draft buck. Anyone not seeing that is wrong. It's that simple.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nelson protecting Trubs and blowing run lanes open for the next 10 years is a great bang for our draft buck. Anyone not seeing that is wrong. It's that simple.
If we have 2 guards more than capable of doing that for the next 7-8 years, then the draft pick turns into a redundant player. Anyone who can’t see that isn’t taking team value into account and therefor is wrong.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s hard to really say with the WRs. Ridley is really the only one on the list that’s close to a sure first rounder, and even he could drop.

As for us having Ridley come in, the front office is leaving no stone left unturned. I doubt they take a wr first. I’m hoping we get a playmaking LBer (inside or out) in the first, a center in the second, and let pace do his magic afterwards. Everyone quotes oline and WRs as something we need to add to. Yeah, we need players at those positions to fill out the roster, but I like where we are right now with the talent we have on the oline and at the WR position. I wouldn’t mind another stud at those spots, but what we need are stud linebackers and pass rushers

I also wouldn’t mind trading up for Chubb if he’s there at 6 or 7.

I don' think we will draft a wr myself,I' betting it' a training camp casualty.......But I do hope for Nelson(or in the least an o-lineman at no.2.)if he's not there,Edmunds or Smith.(I hear he had moved up ahead of Edmunds)would be my picks........

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but you are forgetting that I am not advocating for McGlinchey, so that point is moot.
I never said you did. But that doesn't make my point moot whatsoever. You suggested that Nelson could be the beneficiary of playing alongside McGlinchey, which is fine. But I simply reversed that and said it could just as easily be the other way around. That makes my observation no less right or wrong than yours, hence makes my point no less moot than yours.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don' think we will draft a wr myself,I' betting it' a training camp casualty.......But I do hope for Nelson(or in the least an o-lineman at no.2.)if he's not there,Edmunds or Smith.(I hear he had moved up ahead of Edmunds)would be my picks........
There are a number of folks out there who feel that Smith is more NFL-ready and would be the more likely candidate of the two to come out of the gates as the starter. I think it's a valid argument, which is why I'll have no problems if Pace selects him over Edmunds, even tho Edmunds is my personal top pick - if we do D in the first round that is.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears should draft a pass rusher in round one.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said you did. But that doesn't make my point moot whatsoever. You suggested that Nelson could be the beneficiary of playing alongside McGlinchey, which is fine. But I simply reversed that and said it could just as easily be the other way around. That makes my observation no less right or wrong than yours, hence makes my point no less moot than yours.
But when drafting Nelson, you run the risk of his college career looking better than he actually is because he was on a elite line next to the second best olineman of the draft. That’s why your point is moot.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But when drafting Nelson, you run the risk of his college career looking better than he actually is because he was on a elite line next to the second best olineman of the draft. That’s why your point is moot.
Look, if you are against us taking Nelson, that's cool. I actually like that once in a while one of us zigs, while all the others zag. Most everyone is on the Nelson bandwagon, but you're not. I can respect that. But to use the argument that Nelson looked better than he really is due to another fellow lineman's play and therefore not worthy of a #1 pick is simplistic at best.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, if you are against us taking Nelson, that's cool. I actually like that once in a while one of us zigs, while all the others zag. Most everyone is on the Nelson bandwagon, but you're not. I can respect that. But to use the argument that Nelson looked better than he really is due to another fellow lineman's play and therefore not worthy of a #1 pick is simplistic at best.
It’s a small part of the whole story. The main reason I don’t want to draft him is because he’s a guard. Not only do we have two very good guards, but the guard position isn’t worth it. We got holes and guard isn’t one of them. I’m trying to mostly be the devils advocate when people talk about the type of prospect he is. They act like he’s already penciled in to be the Michael Jordan of Guards. I doubt he’s that great myself. Prospects like that have failed a lotbefore. So, when people are rubbing one out over his prospect, I try to find what may be over looked. The ND oline was amazing last year. It had a great coach that graduated to the nfl. It had the top two oline prospects in this draft. That tells me he had lots of help. It’s something else you need to consider before taking him at 8.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is our last top 10 pick unless something goes really horribly wrong. Nelson won't be there. It's a nice dream tho.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s a small part of the whole story. The main reason I don’t want to draft him is because he’s a guard. Not only do we have two very good guards, but the guard position isn’t worth it. We got holes and guard isn’t one of them. I’m trying to mostly be the devils advocate when people talk about the type of prospect he is. They act like he’s already penciled in to be the Michael Jordan of Guards. I doubt he’s that great myself. Prospects like that have failed a lotbefore. So, when people are rubbing one out over his prospect, I try to find what may be over looked. The ND oline was amazing last year. It had a great coach that graduated to the nfl. It had the top two oline prospects in this draft. That tells me he had lots of help. It’s something else you need to consider before taking him at 8.
Fair enough and for this I may not fully agree, but at least you bring up some salient points. I think there's been a shift in attitudes over the past few years about how OGs are really just failed OTs. With greater frequency of NFL defenses pulling stunts and bull rushing/blitzing up the middle in some of their defensive schemes, I think the value of a really solid, dependable guard is now just about on par with the same play coming from the tackles. Maybe not quite the same, but close. And I happen to think this year's crop of guards as a whole are better than the tackles, at least in the premium categories.

A much better argument I think you make is that we're set at the position with two really good guards already. That in and of itself is pretty much agreed. However, let's keep in mind that we're not sure if we can count on a 16 game performance from Long. I would LOVE to think we can, but I'm not comfortable with that thought. We also have to remember that regardless of how you and I or all other Bear fans feel, the team itself may be pencilling Cody in as the center. That's why I brought up how they lined him up in that spot during the recent camp. So if they are leaning toward using him as a center, then a guard (or an OT to be drafted as a guard) will definitely be a priority.

BTW, to bolster your hopes of keeping him at guard, we're at least blessed this year with some really good centers in the draft. My guess is if we take a center, specifically in round 2, then Whitehair will probably be lining up as a guard this year.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough and for this I may not fully agree, but at least you bring up some salient points. I think there's been a shift in attitudes over the past few years about how OGs are really just failed OTs. With greater frequency of NFL defenses pulling stunts and bull rushing/blitzing up the middle in some of their defensive schemes, I think the value of a really solid, dependable guard is now just about on par with the same play coming from the tackles. Maybe not quite the same, but close. And I happen to think this year's crop of guards as a whole are better than the tackles, at least in the premium categories.

A much better argument I think you make is that we're set at the position with two really good guards already. That in and of itself is pretty much agreed. However, let's keep in mind that we're not sure if we can count on a 16 game performance from Long. I would LOVE to think we can, but I'm not comfortable with that thought. We also have to remember that regardless of how you and I or all other Bear fans feel, the team itself may be pencilling Cody in as the center. That's why I brought up how they lined him up in that spot during the recent camp. So if they are leaning toward using him as a center, then a guard (or an OT to be drafted as a guard) will definitely be a priority.

BTW, to bolster your hopes of keeping him at guard, we're at least blessed this year with some really good centers in the draft. My guess is if we take a center, specifically in round 2, then Whitehair will probably be lining up as a guard this year.
That’s my hope. Center in the second round. We will see how it goes in the draft.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s my hope. Center in the second round. We will see how it goes in the draft.
Daniels, Price, Ragnow. And possibly Wynn as well. Let's keep an eye and ear out for those names next Thursday and Friday. I'm thinking if we take a center in that round, it will have to be one of those four (Wynn tho may be taken as a guard, not a center), because you can bet your bottom dollar they will all be long gone by the next time we're up to select.