• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Taking a WR this draft for certain?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Nagy defends Cam Meredith decision, says Bears' WR depth 'could improve'

Judging by the Sun Times article, there is a not-so-subtle hint from Nagy that WR is on the agenda for this draft. Of course, that's assuming there's no rope-a-dope going on here. Pace is a fan of this tactic and I'm sure the two of them have discussed it. Throw the hounds off the scent, so to speak.

But assuming we will take wideout at some point, the killer issue then becomes which round. I'm presently finalizing two mocks (one for Nelson as #1, the other if he's already gone), and regardless of this latest article, no WR gets taken earlier than the 4th in either of mine. But I also can't concede that maybe a 2nd rounder is in the cards. I think in order for this to happen tho is only if the Bears have to go D with their 1st pick because Nelson had previously been taken. If we take Nelson, then a WR, that means the D won't get touched until Rd 4 at the earliest. It has been speculated here and there by the media that part of the reason Fangio stayed on was because his side of the ball was going to benefit from this draft. To me that reads as at least one gets picked in either of the first two rounds.

So let's hear from you armchair GMs as to which WR should be chosen at #39, that is if you think that's a solid possibility. I know Noon has even suggested if we trade down to the back end of the draft, maybe even using our #1. So come up with your own suggestions. Since I'm buying into the rope-a-dope in these interviews, I'm not gonna bother anticipating a second rounder. But I'd love to know who you guys think will be there at 39. Let's go, let's talk some pre-draft strategy.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can get our hands on ridley or Kirk in the second, I’d be happy. I doubt they last that long, though. I wouldn’t mind picking up St. Brown or DJ Moore. If we had a third rounder, I’d be interested inJames Washington.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can get our hands on ridley or Kirk in the second, I’d be happy. I doubt they last that long, though. I wouldn’t mind picking up St. Brown or DJ Moore. If we had a third rounder, I’d be interested inJames Washington.

No chance Ridley falls that far.

Slim chance Kirk falls that far (it would seem that he'd fit well, though)

Probably also a slim chance that Moore falls that far (possibly also a good fit)

Maybe a 50/50 chance Sutton falls that far

Quite probable that St. Brown falls that far.

That's what I am reading, at least.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Damn I forgot about that.......That just makes the non-signing of Meredith nonsense.......Geez we need on o-lineman,a lb`er and a wr..........

I was gonna say Chark at 3rd but damn,he`d be gone by the 4th pick....So now I believe our next wr is gonna be a training camp casualty..........A 4th rd pick or later would be someone I have not read about anyways and won`t care who he is.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We hosted Ridley on a visit yesterday.

Semi-troubling to me.

I mean, look... I guess if we're in love with him. I have to trust Nagy/Pace here. Wouldn't even be on my radar if I was those guys. Perhaps that's why I am here and they are there, though.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn I forgot about that.......That just makes the non-signing of Meredith nonsense.......Geez we need on o-lineman,a lb`er and a wr..........

I was gonna say Chark at 3rd but damn,he`d be gone by the 4th pick....So now I believe our next wr is gonna be a training camp casualty..........A 4th rd pick or later would be someone I have not read about anyways and won`t care who he is.
I think I have a decent candidate in the 4th. Been out of town the past few days, so I don't have my mock lists with me. But when I'm back home tomorrow, I'll be posting them.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We hosted Ridley on a visit yesterday.

Semi-troubling to me.

I mean, look... I guess if we're in love with him. I have to trust Nagy/Pace here. Wouldn't even be on my radar if I was those guys. Perhaps that's why I am here and they are there, though.

I`m gonna puke.........

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No chance Ridley falls that far.

Slim chance Kirk falls that far (it would seem that he'd fit well, though)

Probably also a slim chance that Moore falls that far (possibly also a good fit)

Maybe a 50/50 chance Sutton falls that far

Quite probable that St. Brown falls that far.

That's what I am reading, at least.
It’s hard to really say with the WRs. Ridley is really the only one on the list that’s close to a sure first rounder, and even he could drop.

As for us having Ridley come in, the front office is leaving no stone left unturned. I doubt they take a wr first. I’m hoping we get a playmaking LBer (inside or out) in the first, a center in the second, and let pace do his magic afterwards. Everyone quotes oline and WRs as something we need to add to. Yeah, we need players at those positions to fill out the roster, but I like where we are right now with the talent we have on the oline and at the WR position. I wouldn’t mind another stud at those spots, but what we need are stud linebackers and pass rushers

I also wouldn’t mind trading up for Chubb if he’s there at 6 or 7.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s hard to really say with the WRs. Ridley is really the only one on the list that’s close to a sure first rounder, and even he could drop.

As for us having Ridley come in, the front office is leaving no stone left unturned. I doubt they take a wr first. I’m hoping we get a playmaking LBer (inside or out) in the first, a center in the second, and let pace do his magic afterwards. Everyone quotes oline and WRs as something we need to add to. Yeah, we need players at those positions to fill out the roster, but I like where we are right now with the talent we have on the oline and at the WR position. I wouldn’t mind another stud at those spots, but what we need are stud linebackers and pass rushers

I also wouldn’t mind trading up for Chubb if he’s there at 6 or 7.

Yeah, I just can't be sure after hearing Nagy talk about possibly taking a WR in the draft yesterday. I definitely think we let go of Meredith with a calculated plan in mind. All of that coupled with the fact that Pace done some shit out of left field before, obviously.

I'd be surprised too, but I'm just quite anxious about this pick. As you say, could be our last top ten pick for a little bit.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I just can't be sure after hearing Nagy talk about possibly taking a WR in the draft yesterday. I definitely think we let go of Meredith with a calculated plan in mind. All of that coupled with the fact that Pace done some shit out of left field before, obviously.

I'd be surprised too, but I'm just quite anxious about this pick. As you say, could be our last top ten pick for a little bit.
It’s a huge pick. It could be a player that will fill one of our needs right now for the next 8 years. It could also be David Terrell or Shea McClellan.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s a huge pick. It could be a player that will fill one of our needs right now for the next 8 years. It could also be David Terrell or Shea McClellan.
I agree that this is a huge pick for us, which is why I'm for staying home and taking the BPA with #8 - hopefully that will be Nelson - or if he's gone and we go D, then I think we'll be fine with Edmunds or Smith, maybe even Fitzpatrick if he's still there, which is looking more and more likely.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that this is a huge pick for us, which is why I'm for staying home and taking the BPA with #8 - hopefully that will be Nelson - or if he's gone and we go D, then I think we'll be fine with Edmunds or Smith, maybe even Fitzpatrick if he's still there, which is looking more and more likely.
I honestly think drafting Nelson would be a mistake.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think drafting Nelson would be a mistake.
Well, keep in mind Nagy was brought in to fix the Offense. Anyone else not named Barkley would be a reach at 8. If Nelson goes off the board, then I see D being the 8th pick. Ridley would be a reach, as far as I'm hearing.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need (starters) at ILB OLB WR OL and depth at those positions. We lost most our pass rush and we seen how bad this def got when our ILBs were out. This is exactly why I hated letting Meridith and Sitton walk. It's not the players themselves but replacing them that pisses me off. When we let Meridith walk that said they already had a WR in the draft picked out. So 1 pick gone, let Sitton go= 2 picks gone. We have no 3 pick. So 3 picks gone.

Add in Long cant stay healthy, add in Floyd can't stay healthy. So you guys are now seeing why my little bitch fest happened the other day. We needed them picks. On the plus side I never expected to fix everything in one draft, and that was before we had 3 picks used up.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the OP and in line with what he asked. I can't give names because the draft is so fluid and it depends who is left there. But I see 1 early WR and one late WR. Yep 2 WRs imo. 1 will need to be a starter hence the early pick.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also add in we need 1 RB. If Howard goes down we have no backup for him. We need a workhorse between the tackles type RB.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, keep in mind Nagy was brought in to fix the Offense. Anyone else not named Barkley would be a reach at 8. If Nelson goes off the board, then I see D being the 8th pick. Ridley would be a reach, as far as I'm hearing.
I am keeping that in mind. I just think that Nelson guy is a bit overrated. Everyone already has him pencilled in for the HOF, but he can’t pass block. It makes no sense to me.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am keeping that in mind. I just think that Nelson guy is a bit overrated. Everyone already has him pencilled in for the HOF, but he can’t pass block. It makes no sense to me.

Nelson 887 pass blocking snaps over the last 2 years

1 sack
2 QB hits

Not sure where you are getting your info. There is a reason he is being called HOF materiel and it's not because he does half right. He is the best pass blocker to come out in 5 years and the best run blocker in 20.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nelson 887 pass blocking snaps over the last 2 years

1 sack
2 QB hits

Not sure where you are getting your info. There is a reason he is being called HOF materiel and it's not because he does half right. He is the best pass blocker to come out in 5 years and the best run blocker in 20.
You also have to account for the line he was on. He was blocking right next to another top 20 draft pick for a coach in the nfl now. I’m still very skeptical of this guy. This is our last time picking this high, and I’d rather come away with a defensive leader at a position of need for the next 8 years than a potentially great guard. There will be plenty of guys there that can help our defense out. We can grab a G/C in the second round that’ll give us what we need. I’d rather come away with a Chubb (fingers crossed he slips), Edmunds, Ward, Landry, or Fitzpatrick.

Having said all this, I think the Colts or Bucs are going to snatch him up making our decision that much easier. If not, I’m afraid we might draft him. I could also see Pace surprising everyone and taking Landry. He seems quite a bit like Floyd.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You also have to account for the line he was on. He was blocking right next to another top 20 draft pick for a coach in the nfl now.

Or you could just as easily reverse this and say McGlinchey benefitted from blocking next to Nelson, a top 10 draft pick. You wouldn't be any more correct or incorrect in doing so.