• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Summer League 2012

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got pulled because Faried was giving him the business. Tyler picked up 3 fouls in the blink of an eye. Ezeli did a much better job defensively against Faried. I'm really looking forward to Ezeli. I think he can play in the league right away off the bench as a defensive anchor.

This. Tyler has looked out of sorts and overmatched in his two games. I really haven't seen any sort of development with him. That being said, it's really hard to gauge improvements from summer league games as they are notorious for just being pick up games with the small guys dominating the ball.

Originally I thought Tyler may be able to fill about 10 minutes a game this year, but it's looking more and more like we'll need a suitable backup at the 4 position this year.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harrison's shots were falling most of the night, but he was CLUTCH in the end. He also had 7 rebounds.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also got picked like a booger more times than I can count. His handle is god awful. But the only way it will get better is by trying.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Green had a bad game too. 0-9 and 6 fouls. I'm wondering how long it will take Ezeli to improve his offense. He has the moves but his finish is as bad as Barnes handles. Every thing he tosses at the rim looks hopeless.

Jenkins is staying aggressive which is nice. He was a bulldog driving to the rim. He made a couple circus shots inside that were insane.

Last edited by a moderator:

shaffdogg76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not entirely comfortable with what I have seen from Barnes. He just doesn't create high percentage scoring chances for himself very well and his ability to create for others is nonexistent.

Step back jumpers are bad shots. Turnaround jumpers are bad shots.

Hopefully, he will improve in a more structured environment although he did settle for those same types of shots at UNC.

But people change, right?

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Barnes had a terrible first half. That was all I could stomach.

I will say that Jenkins' drives were things of beauty, however his jumpers were flat.

I did like how Tyler played. He started off looking like what has been reported, then it seemed as if something clicked for him. He was aggressive, showed a great handle and rebounded well. I liked what he showed last night.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barnes with another solid game. I turned the game on when he was 4 for 12, with 11 points. I look up and he ended up 7 - 16, with 20 points and 9 boards.

I really want them to have him focus on becoming a lockdown defender, his shot is there. That style of play will leave him with some wide open shots. On this team he doesn't need to be a volume shooter. I really like this draft pick!

Green and Ezeli with nice games as well.

* I especially like when Barnes tried to YAK on the whole team. He got fouled and hit both ft's. He sure knows how to get to the line for a player that "can't create". He'll shoot at least 85% from the line as well.

I wonder, when Curry, Thompson and Barnes are on the floor together, who will shoot the technical ft's.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot to mention that cat Bazemore. He's been playing some good ball. I don't think he can play the 4, he's more of a defensive wing, who could also put the ball in the hoop when given the chance. His 7 blocks yesterday were no fluke. He was throwing or trying to throw everything in his space.

If we can't bring Rush back we'll have to give him a real shot to make the team.

Kent Bazemore - YouTube

NBA.com - 2012 NBA Summer League

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barnes with another solid game. I turned the game on when he was 4 for 12, with 11 points. I look up and he ended up 7 - 16, with 20 points and 9 boards.

I really want them to have him focus on becoming a lockdown defender, his shot is there. That style of play will leave him with some wide open shots. On this team he doesn't need to be a volume shooter. I really like this draft pick!

Green and Ezeli with nice games as well.

* I especially like when Barnes tried to YAK on the whole team. He got fouled and hit both ft's. He sure knows how to get to the line for a player that "can't create". He'll shoot at least 85% from the line as well.

I wonder, when Curry, Thompson and Barnes are on the floor together, who will shoot the technical ft's.

Barnes is so damn smooth, and seems to be squared up on every shot he takes. Gonna be fun to see him play with guys who can set him up for easy shots. They say he's working on putting the ball on the floor, and getting to the line. I don't have the stats from yesterday's game in front of me (and am too lazy to look them up), but he seemed to be going to the line constantly.

Ezeli is a bit of a spaz on offense. But I loved his defensive intensity. Fearless, with a constant motor. Put him up against Dwight Howard, and he'd probably get three fouls in five minutes, but Howard would be relieved to see him go back to the bench.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barnes is so damn smooth, and seems to be squared up on every shot he takes. Gonna be fun to see him play with guys who can set him up for easy shots. They say he's working on putting the ball on the floor, and getting to the line. I don't have the stats from yesterday's game in front of me (and am too lazy to look them up), but he seemed to be going to the line constantly.

Ezeli is a bit of a spaz on offense. But I loved his defensive intensity. Fearless, with a constant motor. Put him up against Dwight Howard, and he'd probably get three fouls in five minutes, but Howard would be relieved to see him go back to the bench.

Bulls at Warriors - July 20, 2012 - Game Preview, Play by Play, Scores and Recap on NBA.com

Yeah, he went 6 times. I hope he does continue to work on it, when the season starts the defenses will be alot tougher. I'll tell you though, 6 times is a hell of alot of times for a player that "can't create". I think that with him being about the 4th option when the regular season starts (vs. the 1st option now) it will help him become more of an efficient shooter. He'll have less people keying in on him. That's why I want him to take on that lockdown defender role. Could you imagine Bruce Bowen with Barnes' shooting touch? Barnes will really have a chance to shoot over 50% from the field, 45% from the 3 pt line.

I guess you can tell that I'm pretty excited about the possibilities. I don't care if it's "just summer league", shooting touch is shooting touch, regardless.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shooting touch, length, athleticim, and potential on defense are all there. If he can consistently drive he'll be a nightmare for opposing teams.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shooting touch, length, athleticim, and potential on defense are all there. If he can consistently drive he'll be a nightmare for opposing teams.

Of course I don't know everything but, I don't think that's the best plan for him. Of course we want him to work on it to be better but, I think him locking down the opposing teams best wing player is what he needs to focus on. His catch and shoot is deadly. We can play inside out with Lee and Bogut (two of the best passing bigs in the game), no need for him to consistently drive. We just need him to use that length and athleticism on the defensive end. He'll be the 4th option in the starting 5, his catch and shoot will allow him to still put up 17 -20 pts, while shooting a high %.

I think that if he's busy trying to drive consistently that'll mean we're not playing enough team basketball. We have passers and shooters on this team, that mentality will allow the occasional drive off of the pump fake, that mentality will allow us to get to the ft line off of jumpers.

It's about getting to the line, regardless of driving or jump shooters getting fouled, a'la Kevin Durant. This can be a very dangerous team, we just need Barnes to develop into that wing that locks up the opposing best wing.

vvoland

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

i have some real concerns for barnes. i watched him more than any other college player over the last few years [nc being my favorite college team, thanks jordan] and he does not strike me as a potential top 15 wing player in this league. basically, he just seems too ... robotic? yeah, let's go with robotic or mechanical.. just something unnatural about his game.

basically, i don't see the quickness, first step, and fluidity necessary for that position. his measurements are athletic but it doesn't seem to translate to the games. his handle is pretty atrocious. i'm not sure he's quick enough laterally to be a lock down defender but we'll find out in a few months. i realllllly hope he'll prove me wrong and turn into a solid starter at that 3 spot but i'm not sure he can.

finally, his shooting is suspect. i'm not sure if its his release or footwork, but he's often off-balance and his shot looks different every time he gets it off. every time klay or steph shoots it, there's no doubt it's going in, even when they miss. monta, once he got his shot consistent and stable, gained a similar trust from me as a viewer. harrison may get there but he needs to learn from steph, klay, hell, even rick barry, if he can find him.

my biggest positive about barnes is his work ethic and attitude. everything i've heard/read points to him being the most responsible, hardest working kid, on every team he's been on. that's rarely something you can teach so i'll hope that mark jackson will be able to get the rest of his game up to par since he seems to have the aptitude to learn.

p.s. i really wish we doubled down on that position and traded back into the late 1st to pick up PJIII. he's the exact opposite of barnes. someone who has all the tools, all the athleticism, all the tangible talent necessary to play in the league but not the work ethic and mindset. i think if we had both of those kids, we really would have had one of them [if not both] turn out to be borderline all-stars. plus the competition would have really pushed them to battle, everyday.