• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steelers Cut Mike Mitchell

Maximus Rex

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,357.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers are tight on cap space...I hope they don't, but a lower cap hit would be the only reason.

Yeah, I guess they'd let him test the market, and if anyone is willing to pay him much (and if they do, they're freaking dumbasses) he could go there, but if not much of a market he'd come back for a reduced salary (please please fucking please NO :hellno:).

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all fairness I don't really have anything against Mike. His antics were hard to digest, but nobody could ever question his commitment. He poured his heart & soul into this team and gave 110% every week. He also did great things for the community. Sadly his ceiling was lower than any of us could have imagined back in 2014. And his best years were already "in progress" when the Steelers handed him the lofty contract. Unbeknownst to the team & us fans, 2017 would mark the year of his rapid decline.

The silver lining to keeping him around on a reduced contract would be keeping his leadership. Which is something Tomlin values a lot. A young kid from the draft could learn a lot from him.

All that said.... If he takes the paycut to stick around he should NOT be viewed as a starter anymore. And that isn't even up for debate.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all fairness I don't really have anything against Mike. His antics were hard to digest, but nobody could ever question his commitment. He poured his heart & soul into this team and gave 110% every week. He also did great things for the community. Sadly his ceiling was lower than any of us could have imagined back in 2014. And his best years were already "in progress" when the Steelers handed him the lofty contract. Unbeknownst to the team & us fans, 2017 would mark the year of his rapid decline.

The silver lining to keeping him around on a reduced contract would be keeping his leadership. Which is something Tomlin values a lot. A young kid from the draft could learn a lot from him.

All that said.... If he takes the paycut to stick around he should NOT be viewed as a starter anymore. And that isn't even up for debate.

Great post...I guess I do have issues with Mitchell because he doesn't make any plays, and when he comes close to making one, we get all these antics...I can tolerate the little petty stuff AB and Bell do after 1st downs, etc because they make plays. As a DEF player, you make a TFL, or sack, turnover, okay...but a nice hit 20 yds down field on a completed pass is not making a play.

Davis and others are on record saying he's helped them develop as a pro in some way...that's invaluable, but yr 3, it's time to take the training wheels off Burns and Davis. I wouldn't have any problem turning over FS to a kid like Reid. Mitchell on a lower cap hit in a non starting role?...maybe that makes sense, but I think he's done as a starter...period.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trumaine Johnson would be a nice pickup with the money saved from Mitchell.

There was talk about trading for him last year.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trumaine Johnson would be a nice pickup with the money saved from Mitchell.

There was talk about trading for him last year.
Definitely would be. But I doubt they make a play for a CB. I don't think the Steelers are ready to give up on Burns. If they do get a FA CB, it'll be a cheaper vet guy.

I'm hoping they save all they can to go after Tre Boston.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely would be. But I doubt they make a play for a CB. I don't think the Steelers are ready to give up on Burns. If they do get a FA CB, it'll be a cheaper vet guy.

I'm hoping they save all they can to go after Tre Boston.
I'd like Tre, too.

I am off the Burns train, at least at corner. I'd consider seeing what Burns could do at FS, where he wouldn't be asked to do much run support, which he clearly doesn't want to do.

Trumaine Johnson and Joe Haden at CB
Artie Burns FS, Sean Davis SS, Mike Hilton Nickel.

I like that pass defense.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Live look in at Mike Mitchell today:

giphy.gif

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow Golden too? Lookin at a pretty big overhaul at the safety position!

Either Reid in the 1st or Bates in the 2nd... Unless they land Boston or someone good in FA

Apparently Wilcox is willing to take on the ST role and probably play to a lower number...we shall see...he probably will, but he needs to show strong in camp...not a lock imo.

They are spending some extra miles looking for S...every pro day they seem to be locking in on a S....I'm hoping for Reid at 28 I suppose, but Bates they seem to like...Edmunds brother at ViTech seems more like a SS, but they were there.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Wilcox is willing to take on the ST role and probably play to a lower number...we shall see...he probably will, but he needs to show strong in camp...not a lock imo.

They are spending some extra miles looking for S...every pro day they seem to be locking in on a S....I'm hoping for Reid at 28 I suppose, but Bates they seem to like...Edmunds brother at ViTech seems more like a SS, but they were there.
just sign honey badger

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just sign honey badger
Apparently Heyward thinks the same way...lol

For that kind of money I think I would prefer Boston....starting to resign myself to maybe they do that trade with Philly to get a LB Mychal Kendricks.

There are not a ton a of depth type S guys that I'm seeing in FA...but they will dig deeper than I have for sure...I wouldn't be surprised to see Brian Allen get some strong looks at FS, and 28 could very well be a FS.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Relevant considering there are some people out there that think Mitchell could come crawling back...

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still unemployed, eh Mike?

FWIW, I thought for sure Pittsburgh-West would acquire him after losing Mathieu. There's still time.