• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Starting Pitchers for 2014.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Phillies need to decide if they are going to offer Halladay a new contract, and/or arbitrate with Kendrick. Lee and Hamels are certain to be back. The phillies will be watching their new Cuban pitcher come spring,to see if he can be a starter from the get-go. (Miguel Gonzalez). The other remaining pitchers the Phillies have used as a starter this year are Martin,Cloyd,and Pettibone. Since Ryne is grooming martin for the Pen,that leaves Pettibone and Cloyd. So it is possible that we could have Lee-Hamels-Gonzalez-Pettibone as our 1st four starters. But if we offer Halladay or Kendrick a deal that would provide us with 5 starters. My question is this; should we part ways with Halladay and Kendrick and sign a free agent pitcher in their place/ Or do we roll the dice and sign one or both of them again?

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
halladay is a shell of his former self. he's not needed. kendrick.. i've always been a fan and thought he turned the corner, past his inconsistent days, but that didn't happen. he's not worth the money or time (for his skill set.) cloyd is just a weaker version of him in my opinion.

that leaves hamels, lee, pettibone and gonzalez. the best phils young pitcher is adam morgan, who was MLB ready coming into last year. injuries cost him the chance to come up. that's my rotation. it's good, young and has plenty of potential.

so of course we won't see it. if i had to guess, i'd say halladay is somehow back and they sign a cheesy vet or keep kendrick. so hamels/lee/halladay/gonzalez/vet-kendrick.

WestCoastPhan

Northern California formerly from Bucks County
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
halladay is a shell of his former self. he's not needed. kendrick.. i've always been a fan and thought he turned the corner, past his inconsistent days, but that didn't happen. he's not worth the money or time (for his skill set.) cloyd is just a weaker version of him in my opinion.

that leaves hamels, lee, pettibone and gonzalez. the best phils young pitcher is adam morgan, who was MLB ready coming into last year. injuries cost him the chance to come up. that's my rotation. it's good, young and has plenty of potential.

so of course we won't see it. if i had to guess, i'd say halladay is somehow back and they sign a cheesy vet or keep kendrick. so hamels/lee/halladay/gonzalez/vet-kendrick.

Don't forget this year's "cheesy vet", John Lannan. He'll be looking for a contract from amaro.
Lannan eager to prove himself next spring | phillies.com: News

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pray no Kendrick and no Halladay. I wouldn't mind seeing Lee, Hamel, MAG, Pettibone, and Morgan/Martin, but I know Amaro will look to resign at least one from the group of Halladay, Kendrick, and Lannan.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, please, please, please no Ervin Santana.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lee and Hamels are a given and it would be great if MAG could be that third guy. As far as the rest, I think it is pretty much a crap shoot as to who is the best among the rest of that list --Lannan,Halladay,Kendrick,Morgan,Martin,Pettibone. There are probably a couple guys in there that could be a good number 4 or 5 starter, possibly all of them. But I guess I agree with Phillies, if keeping someone like Kendrick or Hallday means you have to give them a longer contract or use money that will take away from another area of the team, then you might as well just use one of those younger guys.

Progeriakid

Hanging Pork
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont count out Biddle making the roster out of spring training, kid is gonna be a good mlb pitcher. From what I have seen outta Roy this far it's not encouraging, he has lost more then 1 step and is not effective, misses his spots and just lays beach balls out there to get hammered more times then not! He certainly isn't worth the amount of money that is being talked about that he might get for his next contract. At a discount maybe but it may be time to let him go.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to suggest free agent Vicente Padilla, 36, lifetime ERA 4.30, and former Phil's 2002 All-Star. I remember how good he was in August with 99% humidity.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all of these new young pitchers and Lee and Hamels, I agree with the overwhelming majority here that Halladay is done and Kendrick should be dumped.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Halladay and Kendrick should not be tendered. That will free up over 26 million dollars. Certainly we can get a starter and a few decent relievers with that kind of money. We need to spend money on players who are good now. The constantly injured and tired arm types should not be on the list. IMO.