• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Stanely cup finals Pens Vs Sharks

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Another thing with all those blocked shots mathmatically it's going to lead to a serious injury the pens can ill afford on D or offense

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 47-17 advantage in hits stat stood out as a big positive. Hopefully, they can continue to take the physical play to PIT. Still need to clean up the d-zone turnovers and have more time in the o-zone. Giving up that goal to fall behind with under a minute left in the 2nd would have ruined past Sharks teams, but this team found a way to come back get the win in a very critical game. Great play by Donskoi on the game-winner, Ward with another clutch playoff goal, and Jones has been the Sharks MVP in the series so far by keeping them in it for the amount of time that they have been out-played, especially in Games 1 and 2.

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not just Pollack, but Martin has made some bad decisions, and Burns too back there. And of course there is Dillon too. Still don't like the shot differential 42 to 26.

I am actually going to Game 4. That is my Father's Day gift.

Agreed - with Martin for sure. I just remember in Game 3 getting to a point where I would cringe on Pollack's ice time but its hard to argue that any of the aforementioned haven't committed their share of mistakes.

I think the shot differential would improve if they got more of their pucks through the defense. Guys need to start walking that blue line and fighting harder to find lanes. Burns was really good at that earlier in the POs.. he needs to get that sorted. Cleaning up the constant turnovers in our zone would normalize their side of the equation.

Game 4? Sweet... best game in a 7 game series in my book - that's a hell of a Father's day present. I hope its a great game for you dude - seriously. I'll be on a plane to Austin, so I guess I'll be watching the 30 second review on ESPN.

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the key. Sharks need to keep hitting the Pens relentlessly just like Game 3. That will definitely slow them down to say the Blues pace. If that happens we have a great shot at taking this thing.

Agreed - When we took the body we forced some turnovers and got some possession time in their zone. It would be nice to see more of that in our zone too - I remember a play where Logan just swiped at the guy at the blue line, if he takes the body the puck shakes loose and Thornton is right behind him to scoop up the trash. Instead it dribbles to the winger on the right and 3 more SOGs iirc.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hertl season over with knee injury, poor kid can't catch a break with his knees hopefully he's no Michalek it Iafrate

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Apparently scoring first is not part of the game plan

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fucking awful

That's a wrap

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Oh well... its was the best sharks season ever, and they got beat by a better team. 4 games, four times outplayed means its not breaks and luck. Im glad they did as well as they did, their goaltending is likely set for a decade. Their younger players like tierney, donkey, karlsson and hertl are coming up big in the finals. The old guys like patty and jumbo are getting schooled, and that bodes reasonably well for the future. Also polak will go (thank god) and hopefully dillon will be dealt in time. they are etting badly exposed, and with a better bottom pairing, they could win it, as they are -11 together.

Lots to be happy about despite the disappointment, and lots to give hope. Meier looks exciting, and maybe goldobin too. Lots of cap space soon, and the young guys are pretty impressive. I am OK...

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yep, im pretty sure they are done. They aren't showing me anything that indicates they can win 3 in a row let alone another game. Burns,Thornton, and Pavelski no showing in the finals in terms of goal production was to much to overcome. Pollak eh see ya i suppose DeMello can replace him i suppose but the sharks still lack a bruising defenseman that can clear the crease and win corner battles.

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well - tried to follow the game and took off with it 0-2... landed and it was a 3-1 final.

I don't know what the game looked like but I imagine it was all sharks for about 5 minutes and then once the pens weathered the storm the ice tilted the other way? Sprinkle turnovers and mistakes? meh.

The big guys not getting it done hurts.. I don't think they have to carry the team but a virtual vacuum is insurmountable. I can't believe Hertl messed his knee up again.. that really sucks - he is one of the brighter spots of our youth.

I would like to believe that the master plan is to 'trump' the back from three down to the LA Kings by going down 3-1 in the finals and then winning 3 in a row.. but my spidey senses tell me otherwise. Its cool they finally went to the finals but they just dont look like the team that beat STL and NSH.

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well - tried to follow the game and took off with it 0-2... landed and it was a 3-1 final.

I don't know what the game looked like but I imagine it was all sharks for about 5 minutes and then once the pens weathered the storm the ice tilted the other way? Sprinkle turnovers and mistakes? meh.

The big guys not getting it done hurts.. I don't think they have to carry the team but a virtual vacuum is insurmountable. I can't believe Hertl messed his knee up again.. that really sucks - he is one of the brighter spots of our youth.

I would like to believe that the master plan is to 'trump' the back from three down to the LA Kings by going down 3-1 in the finals and then winning 3 in a row.. but my spidey senses tell me otherwise. Its cool they finally went to the finals but they just dont look like the team that beat STL and NSH.
What else hurts is that we are about to lose to Sidney F*KING Crosby and a Penguins franchise that will have what 4 Stanley Cup wins now?! :mad2:

If the Sharks do lose, hopefully they use this as determination to come all the way back to the Final next year and win it finally!

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well was that was quite the experience. Surreal. Never been to a sporting event like it. Got there about 2 hours early. Stood behind the camera during the pre-game, said hello to JR and Bouch. Saw James Hetfield outside. Pre game inside was amazing too. Awesome National Anthem with Hammett and Hetfield, but then came the hockey...

I was down low so I had a very good view. IMO, that might have been Joe Pavelski's worst game ever. Fanned on shots, giveways, sloppy, etc, etc, etc. He has been God awful this whole series. Calling his play wretched would be a complement. He has brought that first line down. I could see Deboer getting desperate. He had Donskoi and Couture on that line late. Pavs should be moved off that line IMO.

He is not alone though. Couture, Burns, Thornton, and others nowhere near to be found. Even Patty, completely invisible now other than that breakaway. Tierney was probably their best forward last night. In general, the passing and puck handling in the offense end just woeful. Hardly ever did they get a decent shot, fumbling the puck, indecisive, giveaways. It would be nice if they could really test Murray. Got to hand it to the Pens. Damn disciplined team. Opportunistic and always where they should be on the ice. Rarely making any mistakes in their own zone.

Sharks defense, couldn't really complain about that. Leaving Malkin all alone was bad. Maybe a communication issue, I don't know. One mistake and a goal. The other goal a horrendous line change.

Overall they came out real flat.....AGAIN. Never fed off the amazing crowd. 12 shots in 2 periods, looked like they had never played together before. Then in the 3rd period they go desperate. I don't get it. It is the Stanley Cup final for God's sake. Wake up and act like you deserve to be there. Game 5, do what do in the 3rd period for 60 minutes. Take risks, pinch defensemen, if you have to, do anything and everything to get back to Game 6. I am shellshocked they have never led a game, that guys like Pavs and Couture are melting down offensively. Never thought I'd see it. I guess Pittsburgh is a better team. Sharks got about as far as they could and maybe overachieved to be here. Probably the last shot for Thornton/Marleau and it is slipping away.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, you pretty much summed it up correctly. But there wasn't really a storm in the first 5 minutes. I think each team had one shot in that time. Then the Sharks made a couple mistakes. Pens had two golden opportunities. One Jones made a great save, the other the line change error and Jones couldn't bail them out and it was 1-0 and they back where they have been the whole series.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, one other thing. Sharks are not getting any power plays. That is their bread and butter for the playoffs. I think they had two. Pens had two also, but of course scored on one of them.

Last edited:

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess it is not over til it is over. Warriors did it, but the Sharks aren't the Warriors. They are good a blowing series not coming from behind. It would be amazing if they could do a Kings to the Pens. An all timer. Never say never I guess. Hope is all we have left now. My son is setting up a Sharks funeral viewing party for Game 5 at my place on Thursday. We are serving hemlock cocktails :)

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because of my work schedule, I'm really hoping the Sharks can win this game and that I can actually watch them on TV one last time this season this weekend :/

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a joke. Dillon Braun Zubrus aka the 3 Stooges. Sure nice to have a lead...for 3 minutes. That was a tease!!!!!!

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Complete farce since taking the lead. Classic Sharks playoff mode now. Scrambling, wobbling, giveaways, penalties, you name it, etc. All bad!!!

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least they got some offense. Marleau/Karlsson/Burns had a very good period.