• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training wins...

BACKSfromAZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 956.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have mentioned it before that I am a new baseball fan and still taking it all in.

My question is: Does having a winning record during Spring Training have any indication on how the team will perform during the regular season?

Or is this basically a type of practice and performance test for the players?

Anyway, thought I would post and get some discussions moving along. :)

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have mentioned it before that I am a new baseball fan and still taking it all in.

My question is: Does having a winning record during Spring Training have any indication on how the team will perform during the regular season?

Or is this basically a type of practice and performance test for the players?

Anyway, thought I would post and get some discussions moving along. :)

Spring training gives zero indication of how the team will do once the season begins. The teams are often split squads or filled with guys not ready for the 25 man roster. The main issue is the way pitching is used in spring. A lot of the pitchers are prospects who are just getting a look at MLB talent. And SP are also used in smaller inning increments as they build up arm strength for the regular season. It's just a totally different game in the spring than it is during the regular season.

But you can get a general idea about how specific prospects or players may perform once the season starts. Right now guys like Drury & Pollock are tearing it up & Trumbo is doing his thing, hitting bombs. While young pitchers like Delgado, De La Rosa, Anderson, Shipley, & Bradley have all looked really good so far.

For veterans, spring it just practice & exercise to get their bodies prepared for the regular season.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spring training performance has little Bering on the regular season. It is sort of fools gold for some teams.