• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sony Michel Has Knee Surgery

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From CBSSports.com 8/11/2018

After losing Dion Lewis to the Titans in free agency, the Patriots used one of their first-round picks on running back Sony Michel out of Georgia. But the Patriots will be forced to put their plans for Michel on hold, at least temporarily.

On Wednesday, Michel suffered an injury and on Saturday, he underwent a knee procedure, according to multiple reports. His recovery timeline is unclear. All reports indicate that Michel will be able to contribute for most of -- if not all of -- the regular season, but it certainly seems like there's a chance Michel will miss the beginning of the season.

According to The Athletic's Jeff Howe, the injury is expected to keep him out for the duration of the preseason and maybe the start of the regular season. According to ESPN's Mike Reiss, the "clean-up" procedure, which drained fluid from Michel's knee, will keep him sidelined for at least 10 days and "is not expected to affect Michel's availability for a significant portion, if any, of the regular season." However, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported that Michel will be good to go by the time the season rolls around.

Of course, whenever the words "knee operation" are used, worrying about the long-term impact of that knee operation is justified. And it's worth noting that The Ringer's Michael Lombardi reported before the draft that there were concerns about how Michel's knee would hold up over time.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everybody is quoting everybody else. He had a procedure earlier this week and had another one this morning. Can't tell what the hell is going on but having fluid drained twice in 4 days is not good. From my limited medical knowledge, I think maybe he should get the damn thing fixed correctly, once and for all. If he can't rehab and play pro football, so be it. If he can rehab, do it right without the illegal drugs and come back full speed in 2019.

DEon't half fix it and then do more damage.

patspa

PATS SEEKING SEVEN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From CBSSports.com 8/11/2018

After losing Dion Lewis to the Titans in free agency, the Patriots used one of their first-round picks on running back Sony Michel out of Georgia. But the Patriots will be forced to put their plans for Michel on hold, at least temporarily.

On Wednesday, Michel suffered an injury and on Saturday, he underwent a knee procedure, according to multiple reports. His recovery timeline is unclear. All reports indicate that Michel will be able to contribute for most of -- if not all of -- the regular season, but it certainly seems like there's a chance Michel will miss the beginning of the season.

According to The Athletic's Jeff Howe, the injury is expected to keep him out for the duration of the preseason and maybe the start of the regular season. According to ESPN's Mike Reiss, the "clean-up" procedure, which drained fluid from Michel's knee, will keep him sidelined for at least 10 days and "is not expected to affect Michel's availability for a significant portion, if any, of the regular season." However, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported that Michel will be good to go by the time the season rolls around.

Of course, whenever the words "knee operation" are used, worrying about the long-term impact of that knee operation is justified. And it's worth noting that The Ringer's Michael Lombardi reported before the draft that there were concerns about how Michel's knee would hold up over time.

BigKen believe that is the original article from Aug 4 2018.

Patriots rookie running back Sony Michel reportedly undergoes knee procedure

This injury was a concern for teams at the draft, they are saying it is the same thing Jay ajayi has bone on bone in the knee.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not quite sure what the report that Michel had a surgical procedure to drain fluid from his knee means. I had fluid drained from my knee five times in 5 weeks starting on the first Thursday in June and it was done by an ortho surgeon in 20 to 30 seconds using a large needle and syringe. When he was done doing that he injected some Hyalgan (lubricant) into the joint and I got up and left to go to work.

Unfortunately, after 5 knee surgeries (including a R ACL reconstruction) and at least a dozen fairly nasty knee injuries I have more knowledge of knees than I wish I did. I think the Patriots are just not willing to give us the real details of why Sony had a surgical procedure. I have a few guesses, but nothing to support them. Could be the first procedure was to clean up bone spurs that started to develop and were bothering him and maybe the second one was an attempt to try one of the new fangled treatments that are being developed and tested around the country. :noidea:

His history of knee issues is no secret and he is reported to be bone on bone in the bad one. I have to believe that he has taken advantage of one of the lubrication gels that are injected into the joint. They work well for me and I am also bone on bone in my R knee.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it was 1 procedure. Re-reporting at it's finest.

OK, so only 1 procedure. Still doesn't explain why he couldn't have fluid drained in a doctors office and take a couple days offs to rest the joint.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, so only 1 procedure. Still doesn't explain why he couldn't have fluid drained in a doctors office and take a couple days offs to rest the joint.

Cause of the problem? We don't know. He wasn't limping. No news from NE (Surprise)
Many causes for knee inflammation. RICE is recommended for most.
Again, I'm not saying anybody's wrong, I'm just saying it's too early to get worried.....

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odd pick by the Patriots with bad knees coming out of college. Otherwise would fit their offense perfectly. Surprised they took him with as many knee issues as he has had.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odd pick by the Patriots with bad knees coming out of college. Otherwise would fit their offense perfectly. Surprised they took him with as many knee issues as he has had.

There was a lot of misinformation being dropped out there. One rumor was the Eagles were going to take him at #32

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Wednesday, Michel suffered an injury and on Saturday, he underwent a knee procedure,

So he didn't have his knee drained on Thursday which we all discussed? I'm trying to go back and see when the first talk of draining his knee came about. The article this morning says he had a procedure, this morning, today, Saturday. I posted it at noon time.

You guys may be correct and I may be all wet, but if he had a drain on Thursday and something this morning, that's two procedures. The Patriots are rarely, if ever forthcoming about any injury.