• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sonny Gray

Isaiah4110

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you kidding me? Excerpt from an article on the A's website:

Vogt was behind the plate last May when Gray fanned nine batters in six innings. Seemingly nothing about this is particularly remarkable in the context of the 26-year-old Gray's career, except when considering the fact that two of the strikeouts were achieved with a cutter.

Gray doesn't throw a cutter.

"His curveball and slider weren't working," Vogt recalled, "so he said to me, 'Hey, I'm going to throw a cutter.' I'm like, 'Sonny, you've never thrown a cutter before.'

"And this is in the middle of a game, and he told me, 'I'll just throw one in warmups and see how it goes.'

"Of course it was a pretty good cutter."

After Mariners outfielder Nelson Cruz singled off Gray to open the bottom half of the sixth inning, the right-hander pulled out his newest toy, void of a warning label, and sent it past a frozen Kyle Seager for a third strike call. Logan Morrison could only stare at it, too, for another looking strikeout.

Cruz never budged. Gray struck out the side.

"Looking, on back-to-back backdoor cutters?" Vogt said, still in disbelief nearly a year later. "C'mon. That's a pitch that takes pitchers years to learn and to control, and Sonny, in a big situation, punched out two very good left-handed hitters looking with it.

"They both turned around and said, 'When did he start throwing that?' I said, 'Right now, this inning.' They just shook their heads and walked away."

Here's the full article: Sonny Gray making third straight Opening Day