• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So it begins...

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The season is just a week or so away!! Amazing! I have been eagerly waiting for puck drop and I am so psyched to get going.

Sad to hear about mono for meier, but it's no huge deal. Cooch had mono is juniors and though it took a little while, he obviously bounced back. I suppose this is a huge chance for wingels and nieto to show their stuff, or for one of the kids to break in. The sharks have the depth to manage, so its fine...

Like to hear that heed is looking good as well as demelo.

Seems to me like the NHL roster is pretty well set aside from maybe an extra press-boxer or two. Interesting that dougie chose not to move nieto or wingels. With Meier's mono, that looks like a good call...

12 forwards:

Jumbo-pavs-hertl
cooch-boedker-donkey
marleau-ward-Karlsson
Tierney-Nieto-wingels

I cannot see one of the kids not named Meier breaking into that top 12 at this moment. Carpenter, Goodrow, or haley makes sense as the #13 F but calling up goldy only to bench him makes no sense. Same for any of the other top prospect forwards (lebanc, chartier, o'regan, etc.). Also barring other injuries, no need to rush meier back either...

6 D:
Burns-martin
vlasic-burns
Dillon-Schlemko

That top 6 has been set since July, and the #7 is almost surely demelo, who sure looks like an NHL caliber Dman. Makes Dillon expendable and gives a solid fill in for the inevitable injury. Roy was already returned to juniors, and likely mueller and the rest of the crew will battle it out on the cuda for the #8 spot. No clear front runner for D depth...

Goaltending remains iffy but pretty sure that it's Jones-Dell. Hopefully jones stays healthy, as there isnt much in terms of depth there.

That said, dougie sure has a lot of trade chips if needs arise through the year.

My prediction: WIN THE CUP! (or least definitely be a main contender for it...)
Rationale: 4 lines deep on O (hell our fourth line of tierney-wingels-nieto is better than half the league's 3rd lines). Burns as one of the top 5 Dmen in the game and an improved 3rd pair. The best shut down pair in the game. very solid #1 goalie. Solid #13 forward (meier once healthy) and #7 Dman (demelo). Good coaching. There just dont seem to be many chinks in the armor.
Only Worries: backup goalie. Father time on Jumbo, patty, ward, and martin.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Prior to the mono DeBoer had said Meier was going to slot next to the Joe's. Now though, I would expect him to get a couple games in the AHL to get his energy back before being put on the NHL roster.

Hertl has been used exclusively at center this preseason and it looks like he is going to slot between Marleau and Ward when everyone is healthy.

The big surprise has been LeBanc who has out played Goldibin so far. He has looked very good with everyone he's lined up with including the Joe's. Goldobin may still get the call simply due to time served with the org but LeBanc certainly has turned heads this preseason and should get an opportunity sometime this season.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why would they break up the Pavs/THornton/Hertl line?? Theyve done that before and it was a bad move.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My guess is because the plan has always been to move Hertl to center. With Thonton's time running short maybe they figure now is the time to make that move full time. DeBoer is pretty fluid with his forwards keeping pairs together and rotating a third in and out. Most likely Hertl will play with them again at some point this year and injuries/illness might make that much sooner rather than later but it does appear they want Hertl playing primarily as a center.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My guess is because the plan has always been to move Hertl to center. With Thonton's time running short maybe they figure now is the time to make that move full time. DeBoer is pretty fluid with his forwards keeping pairs together and rotating a third in and out. Most likely Hertl will play with them again at some point this year and injuries/illness might make that much sooner rather than later but it does appear they want Hertl playing primarily as a center.

If Hertl can transition to C, then the sharks are set now and in the future at C. Jumbo-cooch-hertl-tiernye is the best 1-2-3-4 in the league. And when jumbo goes, they can transition pavs back to C, and keep the best C lineup for a few more years.

I think patty at wing is better than C, so I would love to see hertl make the move. That said, as Cmon mentioned, all is in flux. Much depends on how they are playing, on injuries, on where (if) meier fits in the top 9, on trades that might become available if they find a need for a backup goalie (jones injury). Much depends on how goldy, lebanc, and some of the cuda play. Much swings on how boedker fits in SJ and whether his defensive play is sufficient and whether he can produce legit top 6 production. Much depends on father time and how it affects patty, jumbo, ward, and martin. Much swings on the starts of wingels and nieto who were both on the outs, but who both will be looking for a new contract this summer and both of whom have shown double digit goal scoring and 30+ points as a real possibility. Much swings on the development of the young 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year forwards like donkey, karlsson, and tierney who were pretty effective, but who could explode on the scene or just kinda fizzle.

So many questions face the sharks going into the year that how Hertl ends up used is going to change throughout the year. That said, the sharks have tons of C's and thus lots of flexibility. Dont forget that pavs, jumbo, patty, cooch, hertl, tierney, and even wingels are all listed on the roster as C's. Lots of choices and moving parts there, so the first 10 games will largely dictate how the lines shake out.

p.s.: Shlemko's goal on the PP was sweet tonight. I know its preseason and I didnt watch much, but his goal on the PP was great skating, totally non-stationary, very hard to defend, and a sweet one-timer. If he can develop his game in SJ, that could also be a game changer.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Terrific game 1. Sharks really controlled the play from LA's goal onward. Obviously the PK was 0 for 1, but the rest of the game 5 on 5 and PP looked very very good to me. The cycle game was sharp. Forecheck was fast and heavy. just a really good effort...

And as a note: No forward exceeded 18 mins, and only burns and pickles exceeded 20 mins (with burns at just 22:44 to lead). No forward had under 10 mins. Basically, the sharks rolled 4 lines and 6 D and had the jump for the whole game. If Deboer is able to roll guys like this regularly, the elder statesmen will be just fine, injuries should be limited, and the short offseason will not be a problem. I thought the 4th line wingels, nieto, and karlsson looked damn good out there, and to be honest, that's about the level of most teams' 3rd line. And of course, Meier is out. The forward depth was on full display.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wow schlemkos skating is a massive difference, that's probably going to be one of the biggest steals of the off season

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wow schlemkos skating is a massive difference, that's probably going to be one of the biggest steals of the off season

yep, he looked pretty good. A few turnovers to clean up, but he is pretty mobile out there and clearly useful at the offensive end too (unlike his partner). Honestly, Id love to see dillon moved and have schlemko-demelo as the bottom pair. They would be quick and be a threat offensively as well. not like to happen of course, but it's a good problem to have.

I thought patty was flying out there too. Lots of great looks and he shoulda had one or two as well. The sharks are clearly 4 lines deep and matchups are gunna be pretty tough.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was a bit skeptical of the Nieto-Wingels-Karlsson 4th line when I saw it being used in the preseason but watching them live last night got rid of my doubts. That's a three headed monster on the forecheck and they did well matching up a lot against Kopitar's line.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was a bit skeptical of the Nieto-Wingels-Karlsson 4th line when I saw it being used in the preseason but watching them live last night got rid of my doubts. That's a three headed monster on the forecheck and they did well matching up a lot against Kopitar's line.

Yep. Frankly, I thought all 4 sharks lines outplayed every kings line. Tierney as 3rd line C may be a little high for him, but he seems the only possible guy who may be slated higher than his current level. that said, he'll be a top 9 forward very soon, so it's really not a problem.

Also, with meier coming back in a month or two, and fairly large amount of potential NHLers playing for the Cuda, the better that 4th line trio plays, the more the sharks can season the youth with top minutes on the Cuda and the higher the trade value. If that line plays a sold 12 mins/gm and pitches in some goals while providing a heavy forecheck and good possession numbers, teams around the league will be offering up real value for wingels or nieto as opposed to selling low prior to the season.

The sharks are in a position of power, and dougie is usually pretty good at leveraging that strength strategically later on in the year if a need arises (which the injury to quick really scared me as if jones gets hurt, the whole season is a big ??? as Dell as the #1 is a total unknown).

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If DeBoer keeps matching the 4th line against the oppositions top line their possession numbers are not going to be the best but the mismatches it creates for the other lines should result in even better possession numbers and more offense for them.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Meier assigned to the Cuda for an unofficial conditioning assignment. Carpenter has been recalled for the road trip.

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team has looked like garbage since the start of the 3rd period in Pittsburgh. Awful, pathetic game tonight in Detroit.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
They have definitely not looked real good. Ive been happy with schlemko thus far, but boedker has been horrific. 1 point and -3 in 6 games playing with donkey and cooch. and just 4 total shots on goal in those 6 games. not good, and he's been very soft on the puck. That line needs to find some chemistry, or boedker is gunna find himself in a doghouse...

its too early to be worried about anything. the sharks have a bunch of guys off to slow starts. not likely this will continue. Ward, Boedker, Karlsson, Tierney, and donkey each have just one point. Patty has just 1 exlcuing the ENG. Hertl has just 3. For me, its hard to believe that those guys will remain on a slow pace. Only burns is markedly above an expected pace. The sharks have the soldiers, they just have to re-find the chemistry. its also tough to have a long 5 game trip all over the east, right off the bat. They looked a little tired last night...

they are 3-3 after 5 games on the road and just one at home. No panic time. No big issue. Personally, my biggest worry is the PK, and that seems to be improving. once they find the right chemistry and the lines begin to solidify, it should be wave after wave for opponents, and we'll watch the sharks take games over.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
just got back from the game. Sharks played great. Deserved the two points. Looked like a 4 line team and controlled large swaths of the game. ANA was lucky to get a point. looks like the rest did alot of good, and I love the team game.

p.s.: Wowed by Shlemko's play. He looked totally awesome at both ends of the ice. Give him a respectable partner (i.e. get rid of dillon and add a mobile skilled guy, or even just play demelo) and I think the sharks D would be near tops in the league.

p.p.s: Boedker looked good, but man he's got to bury these chances :-)

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't know if any of you watch the Cuda games but Goldobin, LeBanc, Heed, and Ryan have all been ridiculously good. All of them look ready for some time with the big club.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't know if any of you watch the Cuda games but Goldobin, LeBanc, Heed, and Ryan have all been ridiculously good. All of them look ready for some time with the big club.

I didnt get a chance, but ive been following. Seems like lebanc is carrying over his OHL scoring champ style. Chartier got in on it too today.

Obviously no lack of pipeline at forward. havent seen Heed, but he looked AHL level in the preseason, so id expect that his appearance in big teal won't come for a little while.

Given that lebanc and goldy are looking so good and meier can be expected to be at full speed soon, then the sharks have 3 guys who could step in at forward. Seems like dougie has all the trade fodder he needs as wingels and nieto definitely seems expendable now in case they need a goalie, or some better D. Hell even one of the "established" top 9 could be moved if needed (someone like karlsson).

it woulda been nice if Mueller didnt suck or if Roy was developing better, but its great to have such excitement in the minor pro ranks.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Roy is out with a knee injury and listed as out indefinitely. He was outstanding in camp and the couple games he did play in jrs. Mueller is still improving. Small sample size but his decision making with the puck in the defensive zone has been much quicker and better so far.

Heed played better than both Demelo and Dillon during camp and while he is still adjusting to a different ice size he could easily jump into a bottom pair role and contribute.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Roy is out with a knee injury and listed as out indefinitely. He was outstanding in camp and the couple games he did play in jrs. Mueller is still improving. Small sample size but his decision making with the puck in the defensive zone has been much quicker and better so far.

Heed played better than both Demelo and Dillon during camp and while he is still adjusting to a different ice size he could easily jump into a bottom pair role and contribute.

Ah I didnt hear about Roy's injury. Bummer. I just know his year last year was disappointing, and he was expected to be dominant at both ends, and he's not been in juniors. Mueller may well be improving, but he sure didnt look NHL ready to me, and at this moment, he seems #9 or 10 on the depth chart or lower.

The Anaheim game in preseason that I watched had Heed undressed by a ducks rookie and responsible for another one. He looked unable to handle the high skill level and quickness at the NHL level. Perhaps its just a matter of time and adjustment, and if so, that would be great!

On the bright side, Schlemko looks incredibly good and underrated. He skates really well and makes very clever plays with the puck at both ends. His play on the sharks 3rd goal tonight was realllly smart, and he's given them a threat on the 2nd PP unit. I am pretty impressed in the early going...

At this point, the only player Id change on the whole roster (aside from Haley) is Dillon. If they could get a more mobile two-way Dman in his spot, they'd be pretty well set up. Of course, you know its a good sign whe nyour biggest complaint is your #6 Dman :-) (who is actually quite serviceable for a #6).

Looks pretty good :-)