• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sherman

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Here's the breakdown in your link:

Tom Pelissero of NFL Media has since posted the breakdown for the first year: $5 million signing bonus, $2 million base salary (there’s no mention as to whether it’s guaranteed, but as a practical matter it most likely is), $2 million in 46-man per-game roster bonuses, $1 million playing-time incentives, and a $3 million Pro Bowl incentive. (One source cautions that the “Pro Bowl” incentive may be an “All-Pro” incentive, which is harder to achieve since only two are selected for the entire league.)

So if I read this correctly if he only plays one year he gets the 5 mil signing bonus, 2 mil base salary 2 mil for making the 46-man roster...which is 9 million and not sure about the 1 mil playing time bonus, if he plays he'll probably get that, so 10 million even if he plays badly. 10 million seem like a lot to be out of.

The 9ers have plenty of cap space that the 10 million dollar hit won't impact any of their plans this year and if he does play badly you just move on from him without it hurting your cap much. The 10 million only hurts York and his wallet.

From the 9ers perspective they clearly want Sherman to play at a high level but I think it was really important to bring him in from a leadership standpoint as well since the team lacks any sort of defensive leaders.

So I think they feel that's worth paying for as well since I don't think any of the available CBs out there would bring that kind of element Sherman will bring.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nor had I.

Would've been quite interesting with Landry on the team. Over the years the PC administration has tried to bring in a lot of big name WRs; Harvin, Jackson, Marshall, etc.

Would have been a very nice target for RW but I understand why since Sherm was still playing at a high level.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would have been a very nice target for RW but I understand why since Sherm was still playing at a high level.

Definitely.

Hindsight being 20/20 I'm unsure how much of a difference it would've made since Landry was in a contract year there is a possibility we would've let him walk.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely.

Hindsight being 20/20 I'm unsure how much of a difference it would've made since Landry was in a contract year there is a possibility we would've let him walk.

Agreed, for what he wants the Hawks just didn't have that type of cash.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With the ridiculous price of WRs right now: Watkins at 3 years $48m with $30m guaranteed and Richardson at 5 years $40m $20m guaranteed, I don't think it would be prudent to give Landry that kind of money. I don't want to go as far as to say that WRs are a dime a dozen, but you can find a solid #2 in the draft.

Yes Watkins has higher upside and is still only 24, but I wouldn't give $16m per year to a guy who had the fourth most receptions with the Rams.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess the only difference would be Landry more tradeable asset due to not being injured than Sherman.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the only difference would be Landry more tradeable asset due to not being injured than Sherman.

True, but my guess is that his request went out way before Sherm was injured. Don't know if this was during last offseason, TC or early part of the season.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the ridiculous price of WRs right now: Watkins at 3 years $48m with $30m guaranteed and Richardson at 5 years $40m $20m guaranteed, I don't think it would be prudent to give Landry that kind of money. I don't want to go as far as to say that WRs are a dime a dozen, but you can find a solid #2 in the draft.

Yes Watkins has higher upside and is still only 24, but I wouldn't give $16m per year to a guy who had the fourth most receptions with the Rams.

I didn't think PRich would get that amount but it seems like money is pouring out all over the league. Watkins seems way over priced at 16 a yr. With money saved the FO can pay attention to signing Baldwin and Lockett, plus others as well.

Shaggy

Administrator
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are any of you pissed he was released, or did you feel he already had one foot out the door last year?

We will see if Sherman is a top CB or was he a product of the system..

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are any of you pissed he was released, or did you feel he already had one foot out the door last year?

I thought they would try to re-structure his deal, but I wasn't surprised that he was released. His play before the injury wasn't 2014-esque, and he was starting to get beat a lot more often. He was still good - but he wasn't what we were seeing back then. Actually, that started in 2015, was more noticeable in 2016 and 2017 he looked like there were some chinks in the armor (teams were more willing to throw his way, despite a rookie who struggled early on the other side). I'm sad he's gone, but not angry he's gone.

The injury just made paying him that $11.4 million a gamble - especially since just that alone nearly doubled the team's available cap space. Add in that the corners didn't play poorly when he went down, and it's not hard to see that the Seahawks could feel that the system was more important than Sherman. I wouldn't have minded if they restructured him to his current deal - but I'm not sure he signs that with Seattle - as he has mentioned that he signed his current deal to spite Seattle for cutting him.

Sherman still thinks he's an elite CB, and he's betting on himself. That kind've attitude has served him well in the past - and he's already likening next year's matchups against Seattle the same way as he did the Harbaugh games early in his career. If his gamble pans out, he'll make a lot of money off the 9ers, but if he has a down year (for any reason) the contract makes it really easy for SF to part ways with him after the season.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never been a huge fan of Sherman in terms of his voice but his attitude/agenda with his departure does not surprise me in the least...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was only upset from the standpoint of him no longer being a Seahawk after so many great years and how he specifically helped build the winning tradition. I am not angry that the team cut a 30 year old CB who was due to make $13M in the last year of his deal, coming off a ruptured Achilles. Take all the emotion out of it, and I think it's the prudent choice. I still think Sherm has lots of good football left in him though, and I disagree with those who are now coming in and saying he play had fallen off pre-injury.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was only upset from the standpoint of him no longer being a Seahawk after so many great years and how he specifically helped build the winning tradition. I am not angry that the team cut a 30 year old CB who was due to make $13M in the last year of his deal, coming off a ruptured Achilles. Take all the emotion out of it, and I think it's the prudent choice. I still think Sherm has lots of good football left in him though, and I disagree with those who are now coming in and saying he play had fallen off pre-injury.

Wasn't he playing injured for a large portion of last season?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't he playing injured for a large portion of last season?
I think he may have been talking about a strained Achilles before it blew up in the first Arizona game (the same game where Kam was lost for the season).

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Niners are running the same system.