• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shanahan Disappointed

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he was still negotiating with Miami?
He is and his criticism of that organization and their supposed lack of respect toward him may be just a negotiating ploy.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agree about the O Line but I would look at getting a shut down Corner and a go to receiver.

That previous post was just to address signing Hopkins and Bell, and thinking we'll be dominant.

Is the above referring to just free agency?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looks like Jarvis Landry will be available. he'd fit right in. he was the leading receiver in the league last year.

Pretty sure Shanahan prefers guys who can separate, and separate quickly. Is Landry this kind of receiver?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That previous post was just to address signing Hopkins and Bell, and thinking we'll be dominant.

Is the above referring to just free agency?
Or the draft

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure Shanahan prefers guys who can separate, and separate quickly. Is Landry this kind of receiver?
Well, he caught more balls than anyone in the league for about 1200 yards so I guess he can.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, he caught more balls than anyone in the league for about 1200 yards so I guess he can.

If we kept throwing to Trent Taylor, he could catch more balls than anyone in the league. He may not reach 1,200 yards, but he'd be within reason.

If we kept throwing to Marquise Goodwin, he'd surely exceed 1,200 yards and lead the league.

We don't even have to throw Garcon into this comparison.

How is Landry leading the league in catches, by simply being targetted a lot? Even if not, why spend so much FA dollars on him if these two 49ers can put up those stats? Not to mention the cap of these 49ers, won't be like Landry.

Don't get me wrong, i'd love to upgrade WR too, but Landry doesn't strike me as a large enough upgrade? If not a large upgrade, then it isn't worth the "bang for your FA buck"?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we kept throwing to Trent Taylor, he could catch more balls than anyone in the league. He may not reach 1,200 yards, but he'd be within reason.

If we kept throwing to Marquise Goodwin, he'd surely exceed 1,200 yards and lead the league.

How is Landry leading the league in catches, by simply being targetted a lot? Even if not, why spend so much FA dollars on him if these two 49ers can put up those stats? Not to mention the cap of these 49ers, won't be like Landry.

Don't get me wrong, i'd love to upgrade WR too, but Landry doesn't strike me as a large enough upgrade? If not a large upgrade, then it isn't worth the "bang for your FA buck"?
I guess I disagree with your entire premise. I don't think Goodwin or Taylor could ever lead the league in catches. But I di agree that they'd be better served with an edge pass rusher or a shut down Corner..

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Landry has more catches in the first four years of his career than anyone in NFL history. He also up there in yards as well, he would be a big upgrade but how much would they have to spend to make it happen.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they could probably get a CB and Landry in free agency and get the pass rusher in the draft.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Landry has more catches in the first four years of his career than anyone in NFL history. He also up there in yards as well, he would be a big upgrade but how much would they have to spend to make it happen.
How much the 49ers spend is irrelevant to me. They put us through hell for the last 4 years with their cheapskatedness and the result is they have a ton of money either to spend or to pocket. They better fucking spend it.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much the 49ers spend is irrelevant to me. They put us through hell for the last 4 years with their cheapskatedness and the result is they have a ton of money either to spend or to pocket. They better fucking spend it.

I agree but not to the point that they are drastically over paying. Offer fair value maybe a little more. I would feel different they still didn't have a franchise QB. Know players know the direction of the team with Jimmy G so it shouldn't take going over market value by crazy amounts to get FA's.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but not to the point that they are drastically over paying. Offer fair value maybe a little more. I would feel different they still didn't have a franchise QB. Know players know the direction of the team with Jimmy G so it shouldn't take going over market value by crazy amounts to get FA's.
I think a good young QB/coach like Garopollo and Shanahan will make it easier to recruit free agents but we'll see. I'm excited about next season.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I guess I disagree with your entire premise. I don't think Goodwin or Taylor could ever lead the league in catches. But I di agree that they'd be better served with an edge pass rusher or a shut down Corner..

Ok, that's fine.

Didn't Wes Welker almost lead the league? Why, because they threw a lot to him. Why couldn't Shannahan call Taylor's number 12 times a game, he'd catch 9 of them if not 10?

Anyway.................

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, that's fine.

Didn't Wes Welker almost lead the league? Why, because they threw a lot to him. Why couldn't Shannahan call Taylor's number 12 times a game, he'd catch 9 of them if not 10?

Anyway.................
Welker was an extremely effective wide receiver that any team would be happy to have. You sound as though you believe simply throwing the ball a lot to a specific guy is what makes him an excellent receiver or a league leader at least. That is where we disagree.
I certainly don't think Taylor could do what Landry does and particularly not the yardage Landry gets or the number of TDs.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Welker was an extremely effective wide receiver that any team would be happy to have. You sound as though you believe simply throwing the ball a lot to a specific guy is what makes him an excellent receiver or a league leader at least. That is where we disagree.
I certainly don't think Taylor could do what Landry does and particularly not the yardage Landry gets or the number of TDs.

I'm saying Landry isn't much of an upgrade over Taylor and Goodwin, so why add him? I'd think he'll get paid more than these two guys on top of that?

Anyway, just don't see us adding Landry, we need an outside guy, taller, red zone type.

We can disagree, no problem.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm neither for or against signing Landry...he could replace Garcon down the line, but I would much rather have a 6'2"+ big red zone target. That was an area where the offense struggled some even with

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saying Landry isn't much of an upgrade over Taylor and Goodwin, so why add him? I'd think he'll get paid more than these two guys on top of that?

Anyway, just don't see us adding Landry, we need an outside guy, taller, red zone type.

We can disagree, no problem.

I'm not sure if they will add Landry or not but I disagree that he isn't much of an upgrade over Taylor or Goodwin. Now he may not be the type of player the 49ers need but he is better than Goodwin and Taylor.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if they will add Landry or not but I disagree that he isn't much of an upgrade over Taylor or Goodwin. Now he may not be the type of player the 49ers need but he is better than Goodwin and Taylor.
Amazing that people can't see that. he's one of the top receivers in the game. I do like their idea of a big bodied wide receiver for the red zone but, in my opinion, that is what you have a tight end for and the 49ers seem pretty well stocked there.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
its ok to disagree so that means me. :-)

Again, not saying I don't want to upgrade WR, but when we do (other spots come first NOW), we need a bigger outside guy. Jarvis Landry is mainly a slot receiver, so don't see Lynch signing him for 'big' FA money. 112 receptions but 987 yards. He was targeted 160 times.

I think Lynch will do what he did last year, go after mainly "2nd tier" FA's. If anything, I can only see him paying 'big' FA money for a starting CB.

Don't see why Taylor wouldn't catch 112 out of 160 targets?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its ok to disagree so that means me. :-)

Again, not saying I don't want to upgrade WR, but when we do (other spots come first NOW), we need a bigger outside guy. Jarvis Landry is mainly a slot receiver, so don't see Lynch signing him for 'big' FA money. 112 receptions but 987 yards. He was targeted 160 times.

I think Lynch will do what he did last year, go after mainly "2nd tier" FA's. If anything, I can only see him paying 'big' FA money for a starting CB.

Don't see why Taylor wouldn't catch 112 out of 160 targets?
Fair enough, but if that was the case, teams would fill their rosters with Trent Taylors at minimum salary instead of Odell Beckhams and Antonio Browns at multi-million dollar salaries.