• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Selig Out... Rose in ??

grim rpr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is all too bad.... baseball is kind of disgusting because of this Selig guy

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all about money. Unfortunately, as is often the case, they sold credibility to get it.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manfred will walk the line that Landis drew. He would probably like to do otherwise but the fact is, he doesn't benefit either way. Keeping Rose ineligible for the Hall of Fame does nothing but amplify the fact that the commissioner IS the sole voice of authority for organized baseball. If Manfred yields on that, he's like the king who allows the peasants the right to vote.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The deal now, after a million years, is that the championships have been decided, all of the players are retired ... Rose has paid his dues. As for him being a true Hall of Fame guy, yeah.

If he admitted to it and apologized right away, I think a lot more would have more lenient feelings towards him regarding his banishment....but when he lied about it for nearly two decades, it probably left a sour taste for many.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete has been his own worst enemy throughout all this and he still hangs around Vegas.
I don't know if he was or wasn't popular among his peers (some say, not) ... but I suppose he should be in the H of F on his performance alone. Not much in baseball has precipitated this much debate.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are several people on the MLB banned list with Shoeless Joe and Pete being the most noteworthy. There are also several whom were banned and subsequently reinstated including HOF'ers Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, and Fergie Jenkins. Since the end of WWII the only person to be banned and not reinstated is Pete Rose.

The ban imposed by Bart Giamatti and the HOF's rule on banned players being ineligible for consideration are connected by the Pete Rose storyline, but really are two separate issues. While many people were banned prior to Pete, the 1991 rule was introduced afterwards. The HOF made Pete ineligible for induction.

The HOF was founded and remains operated by a private interest. Stephen Clark was a Cooperstown hotel owner looking to bring tourism to the area that had been devastated by the great depression and prohibition. The initial sales pitch was based on the myth that Abner Doubleday had invented baseball in Cooperstown. A myth that is largely contested by baseball historians. Clark's granddaughter is the current Chairman of the Board.

The real question is why the HOF doesn't want Pete Rose?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
H of F runs on some arcane rules that only apply to itself. Lots of critics of the Hall fail to understand that it's not objective, doesn't have to be and never pretended to be. There are lots of folks who bitch about who gets in and who doesn't ... all the while failing to understand that the voters are not beholden to any criteria they don't want to acknowledge.
I'd like to see a theoretical vote of Hall members -- "If the ban on Rose, Jackson and the others were lifted, how would you vote?"

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until the HOF changed the rule in 1991, banned players appeared in HOF voting results. The first year of voting was 1936 and Joe Jackson and banned former Reds' first baseman Hal Chase both received votes, but never enough to get in. So nearly 80 years ago voters were saying no to players violating the "Cardinal Rule".

I tend to think the attitude of the modern voter wouldn't be much different.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you may be right H&R, but the BBWAA voters for the HOF are increasingly young, and one day in the not too distant future, will not remember pre-PED baseball, or care. Bonds and Selig will get in the HOF. Gambling may become legal and Rose will still be banned from the ballot.

When an owner was commissioner, the writing was on the wall. And largest among Rose's mistakes, after gambling, was not publicly kissing MLB's ass at every opportunity...a requirement for The Pope of MLB, Bud Selig.

Emeritus status, and his handpicked successor replacement guarantees Selig will still have his hand in MLB decisions, and the till, without any admonishment for his wrongdoing. The profit he turned for MLB owners absolves all sins in their eyes. He's a glorifed pimp for owbers...that sold MLB's credibility and HOF benchmarks for more money. They banned Joe Jackson for that, but Selig gets a $6 M /yr pension.

Personally, In my perfect world, Rose gets in the HOF but still can''t work in MLB. Bud Selig gets indicted for obstruction of justice and conspiracy, and settles for $10M fine, giving up his job in MLB, and his emeritus status, and apologizing to players he led down the PED path, and fans he defrauded...That would be justice I think.

....Never happen, though.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's odd is that a lot of players were banned for gambling and various other unsavory activities ... Benny Kauff was banned for his role in a stolen car ring. So Pete Rose had more than just a few White Sox guys to evaluate.

THE LIST

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he admitted to it and apologized right away, I think a lot more would have more lenient feelings towards him regarding his banishment....but when he lied about it for nearly two decades, it probably left a sour taste for many.

like Selig lied about PED's for 2 decades ?

Rose was a fool. Selig wasn't. I think that makes Selig a worse guy.