• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seattle NHL

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The traffic and parking situation is only getting worse so I don't see this ending well. However a friend of mine had a theory that with the density of residential units in the immediate area, that they could be the customer base to make this work. IDK about that but a interesting theory. I know I would never go to the key arena just to much a pain to get there for me.
And you're not alone in that sentiment. However, I bet there are just as many if not more others who are willing to endure the inconvenience a few times a year in order to support and enjoy a local NHL (and maybe later NBA) team. I know for sure I would go to probably a handful of games, and I live 50 miles south of C-link. I've gone to every Hawks home game except 1 the last 3 seasons despite the 100 mile round trip; there are people in my tailgate group who travel from east of the mountains and make every game. Those who are fired up to support the team will figure out a way to make it happen.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm at the point of, "I'll believe it when I see it" when it comes to the NHL and specifically, the NBA...

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope Seattle gets both NHL/NBA. City and fans would support a 4 for 4 pro town.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard the season ticket deposit count is around 30k now. Yep, this just screams "infeasible" all right.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard the season ticket deposit count is around 30k now. Yep, this just screams "infeasible" all right.

No one claimed that the prospect of a NHL team had anything to do with the desire of people wanting to have a team. People can dislike the Key Arena plan without thinking that Seattle would reject a NHL team in protest. In fact, I daresay that the problems people have with the Key Arena plan is the Key Arena itself and not the potential likelihood of fan participation.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys made our national newscast tonight with your ticket drive.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one claimed that the prospect of a NHL team had anything to do with the desire of people wanting to have a team. People can dislike the Key Arena plan without thinking that Seattle would reject a NHL team in protest. In fact, I daresay that the problems people have with the Key Arena plan is the Key Arena itself and not the potential likelihood of fan participation.
But the point of calling something "infeasible" means it cannot be done, yet here we are with 30K+ season ticket deposits. If it weren't "feasible" to do this thing at the Key, we wouldn't be here talking about it.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spokane supports this... I won't buy season tickets but I will be guying single game ticket packages... I've been wanting a reason to really get into the NHL and this is definitely one of them... East side will support!!!!

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the point of calling something "infeasible" means it cannot be done, yet here we are with 30K+ season ticket deposits. If it weren't "feasible" to do this thing at the Key, we wouldn't be here talking about it.

1) It hasn't been done,yet. So, thumping your chest as if it's a done deal is premature. NHL doesn't have to accept Seattle's application. The NHL does appear to want to be in the Seattle market, and this does give the impression that Seattle could maintain a team, but it is possible to be turned down.

2) Fan support doesn't change that Key isn't the most ideal location.

3) Sonics are proof that getting a sports league to allow a team in Key isn't the hard part - the hard part is keeping that league from deciding that Key isn't good enough anymore. Luckily, if Seattle sells out every game (which I expect to happen) they'll be about 20th in attendance for the NHL, but seating capacity will only be 24th in the league. Another positive is that Las Vegas' arena is even smaller than the proposed seating in the renovated Key, so it isn't like the NHL is gonna care about the smaller arena size when it comes to accepting a team.

4) Its the offseason - why not talk about it. Hell, there's even more infeasible things being talked about on here all the time, doesn't keep the conversation from happening.

5) Also, infeasible doesn't mean impossible. Definition is: "not possible to do easily or conveniently; impracticable." So, even if the NHL awards a team, it doesn't make it more or less feasible for the Key to become a good professional venue - it just means a subpar professional venue is in use.

If Seattle gets a team, good for the hockey fans of the city! I'll even change my allegiance from the Penguins (don't follow them much, but had a Lemieux jersey when I was a kid from Goodwill, so I check-in from time to time), but I probably won't see a game live.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) It hasn't been done,yet. So, thumping your chest as if it's a done deal is premature. NHL doesn't have to accept Seattle's application. The NHL does appear to want to be in the Seattle market, and this does give the impression that Seattle could maintain a team, but it is possible to be turned down.

2) Fan support doesn't change that Key isn't the most ideal location.

3) Sonics are proof that getting a sports league to allow a team in Key isn't the hard part - the hard part is keeping that league from deciding that Key isn't good enough anymore. Luckily, if Seattle sells out every game (which I expect to happen) they'll be about 20th in attendance for the NHL, but seating capacity will only be 24th in the league. Another positive is that Las Vegas' arena is even smaller than the proposed seating in the renovated Key, so it isn't like the NHL is gonna care about the smaller arena size when it comes to accepting a team.

4) Its the offseason - why not talk about it. Hell, there's even more infeasible things being talked about on here all the time, doesn't keep the conversation from happening.

5) Also, infeasible doesn't mean impossible. Definition is: "not possible to do easily or conveniently; impracticable." So, even if the NHL awards a team, it doesn't make it more or less feasible for the Key to become a good professional venue - it just means a subpar professional venue is in use.

If Seattle gets a team, good for the hockey fans of the city! I'll even change my allegiance from the Penguins (don't follow them much, but had a Lemieux jersey when I was a kid from Goodwill, so I check-in from time to time), but I probably won't see a game live.
Ah jeez man. People said the Key was infeasible when the new place at SoDo was another option. The context was clearly that it couldn't be done at the Key, and I am not suggesting the Key is optimal....just that's a viable option. Turns out, that is where the team is going to be. Good gravy man.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah jeez man. People said the Key was infeasible when the new place at SoDo was another option. The context was clearly that it couldn't be done at the Key, and I am not suggesting the Key is optimal....just that's a viable option. Turns out, that is where the team is going to be. Good gravy man.

As far as I know, the bid by Seattle has not been accepted, yet. I expect it to be accepted, but as of yet - there is no team.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as I know, the bid by Seattle has not been accepted, yet. I expect it to be accepted, but as of yet - there is no team.
Yes, that is true. But there seems to be an irreversible amount of momentum right now. The NHL would have some serious explaining to do if this thing dies on the vine at this point.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, that is true. But there seems to be an irreversible amount of momentum right now. The NHL would have some serious explaining to do if this thing dies on the vine at this point.

Yeah looks like it is going to happen for hockey at least. Don't think anyone doubted that the NHL wanted a team in Seattle or that their wasn't enough enthusiasm for hockey here. Rather it was the location in regard to traffic, parking and size of the arena ( mostly for basketball though).
Apparently for now the NHL is OK with the Key being home to a hockey team. However traffic and parking problems remain. Lower Queen has some of the highest population density in the city and there are projects to increase that already approved. Down the road I see a request from NHL for a new arena forth coming and I don't think the NBA will ever consider the Key as home for a NBA team. Time will tell.
What bothers me is that the city sabotaged Hansen project for a new arena, which had ever advantage for a location for the NHL and NBA and fans of said sports. It all comes down to trying to keep the Key from being a white elephant. IMO they are just delaying that from happening and tax payers would be better served if the city simply sold the property.