• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seattle Mariners come to town 08/06-08/08

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been at least serviceable and looking better as the season goes forward, could be a back end veteran rotation guy next year, we're not going to be very good, but I also don't see too many young guys ready to make that jump to the majors next year besides Mendez and Jurado, heck I'll even be willing to put Palumbo on that short list but not likely

Colon, Minor, Gallardo, Fister, Butler, Perez, ABD won't be sexy but hopefully serviceable veterans in another rebuilding season
I agree. These guys won't break the bank and will give us some innings filling in the gap until our youth/FA arrives.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never have understood this Mendoza line. He was a lifetime .220 hitter, yet .200 is called the Mendoza line. Anyone know why this is?
It was named after Mario Mendoza who was a poor hitter when he played.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was named after Mario Mendoza who was a poor hitter when he played.

Hell Duane I knew that.....But the number attributed to him isn't close to being correct.

If you're going to pick a number, to me at least, it should be someone who accomplished, or in this case - didn't accomplish - what's being attributed to them.

No big deal, I'm moving on and, I'll keep on wondering.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For reference:

Mendoza, an effective defensive player from Chihuahua, Mexico, played for the Pittsburgh Pirates, Seattle Mariners, and Texas Rangers and usually struggled at the plate. Mendoza was known as a sub-.200 hitter whose average frequently fell into the .180 to .199 range during any particular year—four times in the five years from 1975 to 1979.

The "Mendoza Line" was created as a clubhouse joke among baseball players in 1979, when from early May onwards, Mendoza's average was always within a few points of .200 either way, finishing out the season at .198 for the year (and .201 for his career to that point). "My teammates Tom Paciorek and Bruce Bochte used it to make fun of me," Mendoza said in 2010. "Then they were giving George Brett a hard time because he had a slow start that year, so they told him, 'Hey, man, you're going to sink down below the Mendoza Line if you're not careful.' And then Brett mentioned it to Chris Berman from ESPN, and eventually it spread and became a part of the game." Berman deflects credit back to Brett in popularizing the term. "Mario Mendoza?—it's all George Brett," Berman said. "We used it all the time in those 1980s SportsCenters. It was just a humorous way to describe how someone was hitting."[2]

Mendoza had two more full years in the majors, with a handful of plate appearances in 1982; his hitting improved noticeably in that stretch, so that by the end of his career, his batting average had risen to .215.[3] By that point, however, the phrase was already embedded in baseball culture. Ironically, Mendoza proved to be a prolific hitter after going back to his native land to play in the Mexican League: his career batting average in the Mexican League was .291, and in 2000 he was inducted into the Mexican Professional Baseball Hall of Fame.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ephland.....thanks for keeping some of us abreast of what's going on. Many of us can't view it.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For reference:

Mendoza, an effective defensive player from Chihuahua, Mexico, played for the Pittsburgh Pirates, Seattle Mariners, and Texas Rangers and usually struggled at the plate. Mendoza was known as a sub-.200 hitter whose average frequently fell into the .180 to .199 range during any particular year—four times in the five years from 1975 to 1979.

The "Mendoza Line" was created as a clubhouse joke among baseball players in 1979, when from early May onwards, Mendoza's average was always within a few points of .200 either way, finishing out the season at .198 for the year (and .201 for his career to that point). "My teammates Tom Paciorek and Bruce Bochte used it to make fun of me," Mendoza said in 2010. "Then they were giving George Brett a hard time because he had a slow start that year, so they told him, 'Hey, man, you're going to sink down below the Mendoza Line if you're not careful.' And then Brett mentioned it to Chris Berman from ESPN, and eventually it spread and became a part of the game." Berman deflects credit back to Brett in popularizing the term. "Mario Mendoza?—it's all George Brett," Berman said. "We used it all the time in those 1980s SportsCenters. It was just a humorous way to describe how someone was hitting."[2]

Mendoza had two more full years in the majors, with a handful of plate appearances in 1982; his hitting improved noticeably in that stretch, so that by the end of his career, his batting average had risen to .215.[3] By that point, however, the phrase was already embedded in baseball culture. Ironically, Mendoza proved to be a prolific hitter after going back to his native land to play in the Mexican League: his career batting average in the Mexican League was .291, and in 2000 he was inducted into the Mexican Professional Baseball Hall of Fame.

Thanks again

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ephland.....thanks for keeping some of us abreast of what's going on. Many of us can't view it.

Claudio did not look inspiring and needed his defense to bail him out. Unfortunately, they didn't.

It's now 7-5.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Claudio did not look inspiring and needed his defense to bail him out. Unfortunately, they didn't.

It's now 7-5.

I gather from your quote that Guzman's error was costly.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For reference:

Also this

How did the Mendoza Line become an MLB term

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team scores 7 and this is the crap given back.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did he get charged with it? Because it was all on Profar's horrible throw.

ESPN is saying he missed a foul ball, and the Profar error just got posted. So it's the Profar play which was costly. But all runs are earned.