• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Screwed if don’t take a NT in 1st?

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fitzpatrick fell to me in a SportsHoopla draft and of course I took him over Payne or Vea. Then came the 2nd round and there was no NT worthy I felt of a 2nd round pick so I went with Nick Chubb. So basically do we reach in the 2nd round and go NT or take BPA?

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think so. Several guys could still be there in the 2nd or 3rd, true NTs don’t have a lot of draft value. The guy from Stanford, Settle from VT, Nnadi (great player from FSU, although I’m not sure if he fits as a 3-4 NT). There could be several guys there if we go BPA or trade back for a RB in the 1st.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think so. Several guys could still be there in the 2nd or 3rd, true NTs don’t have a lot of draft value. The guy from Stanford, Settle from VT, Nnadi (great player from FSU, although I’m not sure if he fits as a 3-4 NT). There could be several guys there if we go BPA or trade back for a RB in the 1st.

Well seems like someone didn’t like your response, lol. After Vea or Payne I just don’t see a NT worthy to take in 2nd rounder. Teams start to suck when they take players by need over talent. We reach to take a NT in 2nd and we lose out on the best player available. Now if there is a player ranked just a few spots away from the BPA then I’d go NT but overall go BPA. Really need a NT but after first round do you take a Seattle or Nnadi in 2nd? I wouldn’t I think they aren’t ranked that high. Maybe a late 2nd or 3rd for them which we don’t have. Losing that 3rd plus our CB really hurts now because now we are hoping to find a starting NT in the 4th.

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before picking Fitzpatrick, remember he is good enough to attract other teams to want to trade up to get. And Hankins is still available.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the problem with this whole line of thinking is we should be drafting a pure NT.

We only go into the base package 3-4 between 30-40% of the time.

So instead of drafting an NT, we need to be looking at a guy as a DT, who is a good NT. Which again means Payne/Vea type. If we are drafting one of these guys with the only intent being NT, and they will be rotated out when we go to the sub package, in that case I would sooner not use the 13th pick on a guy we project to be a 40% player.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before picking Fitzpatrick, remember he is good enough to attract other teams to want to trade up to get. And Hankins is still available.

I agree we could trade the pick but why would you. Fitzpatrick is a great player who can play CB or Safety for us which both positions are needs for our team. Better option would be to trade our 2nd rounder for more picks especially in 3rd round to get a NT.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the problem with this whole line of thinking is we should be drafting a pure NT.

We only go into the base package 3-4 between 30-40% of the time.

So instead of drafting an NT, we need to be looking at a guy as a DT, who is a good NT. Which again means Payne/Vea type. If we are drafting one of these guys with the only intent being NT, and they will be rotated out when we go to the sub package, in that case I would sooner not use the 13th pick on a guy we project to be a 40% player.

I agree with this logic. However my math skills suck.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree we could trade the pick but why would you. Fitzpatrick is a great player who can play CB or Safety for us which both positions are needs for our team. Better option would be to trade our 2nd rounder for more picks especially in 3rd round to get a NT.

My issue with drafting Fitz is its like putting the roof on the house when the foundation is still shaky. We need TWO solid talents on the line as it stands right now. We have too many rotational players as starters (Both McBoys as Dean likes to refer to them, as well as Hood should NOT be starters).

Sign Hankins, Draft either Payne or Vea (depending on your preference). Once the line and LB positions are fixed, I think we will be pleasantly surprised at how not sucky our secondary looks.

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I agree with you. I'd love to get him. But though however otoh, if we aren't going to get Hankins, we NEED a dynamic run-stuffer, and I think Vea is as good as it gets as a run-stuffer.

By trading down 9 in the first round, you get a 2nd rounder according to the chart. If Mink is there, maybe you only need to trade down 5 to get that 2nd rounder, because he's a player teams will trade up to get. And if the Skins think at least one of Vea or Payne is there 5 picks later, then I make that trade.

And if we know we can get Hankins, I sign him and pick Mink - feeling like our D is going to be dramatically better for years to come.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I agree with you. I'd love to get him. But though however otoh, if we aren't going to get Hankins, we NEED a dynamic run-stuffer, and I think Vea is as good as it gets as a run-stuffer.

By trading down 9 in the first round, you get a 2nd rounder according to the chart. If Mink is there, maybe you only need to trade down 5 to get that 2nd rounder, because he's a player teams will trade up to get. And if the Skins think at least one of Vea or Payne is there 5 picks later, then I make that trade.

And if we know we can get Hankins, I sign him and pick Mink - feeling like our D is going to be dramatically better for years to come.

1 of the NTs will probably be gone by 13 and I feel Chargers at 17 will take the other 1.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh take guice at 13 should give us more pts per game draft a pass rusher in the 2nd aka Key rest of draft go defense it's not rock science is simple coach science

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what we should do
1st take Vea or Payne
2nd trade back for a 2nd and 3rd rounder then draft LB Joey Jewell
3rd take Rashaad Penny RB
4th take Shaq Griffin LB
5th-7th got kid screaming I’ll BRB

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The draft is a crap shoot in terms of who will go where.

If Payne and Vea are gone by thirteen, I have no problem with Fitzpatrick.

My first round pick would not affect my second round selection.

I expect the value in the second round to be a RB. I agree there is not second round value along the DL in the second.

I would hope late second round value in Settle falls to the third and maybe look to trade up or hope third round DL falls to four.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I expect the value in the second round to be a RB. I agree there is not second round value along the DL in the second.

I would hope late second round value in Settle falls to the third and maybe look to trade up or hope third round DL falls to four.

Agree maybe trade back in 2nd round for more picks then get the DT and RB.

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seems like you're willing to... Settle. Actually, that's not a bad idea.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I’d take Fitzpatrick over Vea or Payne. I see Fitz as top 5 player and Vea or Payne as a Top 15-20 player.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue with drafting Fitz is its like putting the roof on the house when the foundation is still shaky. We need TWO solid talents on the line as it stands right now. We have too many rotational players as starters (Both McBoys as Dean likes to refer to them, as well as Hood should NOT be starters).

Sign Hankins, Draft either Payne or Vea (depending on your preference). Once the line and LB positions are fixed, I think we will be pleasantly surprised at how not sucky our secondary looks.

See my comment on Fitz above this post ^^^ that’s why I’d take Fitz over either NT. It’s BPA not by team need. Which Fitz does fit and at multiple positions in secondary.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See my comment on Fitz above this post ^^^ that’s why I’d take Fitz over either NT. It’s BPA not by team need. Which Fitz does fit and at multiple positions in secondary.

And the reason why I would stay away from Fitz UNLESS both Payne and Vea were gone is.... we dont NEED him. If we get to 13 and both Payne and Vea have already been picked, then we need to trade out of the pick. Unless we have decided that either Nicholson or Swearinger needs to be a backup, drafting Fitz would be adding a player in the secondary when there are players that could help in the front seven. You cant simply say PBA trumps need, or you end up like the Lions drafting multiple high draft pick WRs when the line sucked.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
drafting minkah would be underwhelming to me

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fitzpatrick fell to me in a SportsHoopla draft and of course I took him over Payne or Vea. Then came the 2nd round and there was no NT worthy I felt of a 2nd round pick so I went with Nick Chubb. So basically do we reach in the 2nd round and go NT or take BPA?

was Billy Price available in the 2nd round? Just curious. I agree with you Fitz should be the pick if he is ther at #13.