• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scoreboard Stumper

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 500 AB is what would disqualify most players at any position. Annually depending on the decade, there are only 100 or so players that record 500 AB's.

There are Hall of Famers that only had 500 AB seasons 4-5 times in their career. Joe Morgan didn't have 500 AB's in either of his MVP seasons. Players with high OBP often don't record 500 AB's due to walks.

Even without the 500 AB qualification, the question still says a lot about the Reds ability to develop hitters over a fairly lengthy period of time.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to have to go with Ken Griffey Sr and Pete Rose,

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eburg is correct.

KGSr. And Rose in '78 also did it in ,77 (and more). My point wasn't that it was
took a HOF requirement, just that .260 is MLB AVERAGE...and 500 AB is usually MINIMUM to qualify for a batting title. 2 years isn't a HOF career, it's a contract extension period of time. 40 years is a long time to blame absence of a single homegrown OF that could do it in 2 consecutive years of full time at league average, on bad luck. Paul O'Neill did it, after he left the Reds. Dave Parker did it, but was a Pirate farmhand. Eric Davis and Reggie Sanders were injured a lot...but didn't hit above .260 a lot either. Lots of 1 year Reds, platoon Reds, and low BA players...Reds OF have been a flawed group hitting wise, for a long time. 40 years is like 400-500 OF in the system in that time. Better odds finding one winner playing craps.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we can count Pete in 1977-78. He may have subbed a couple games in the OF, but he was playing 3B by then.

The batting title is based on 3.1 plate appearances per scheduled game.

Either way, PA or AB, there aren't many that have had back to back healthy and productive seasons since the Big Red Machine days.

I think Adam Dunn did it after leaving Cincinnati, but he may have been playing first base by then.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of outfielders are, by nature, platoonable. That's usually true in left field where it's easier to move players around depending on pitching. So typically, it's the center and right fielders who get the most innings. Center fielders don't often hit for high average. Same is true for right fielders, at least in the "modern" era which should be around the time the last expansion occurred.

It's hard to find anybody who hits .260 now and I'd venture without looking it up, that the average number of .290 hitter is something less than 10 per year in the NL.

That's just non-informed stats. The Reds probably don't fare badly with other NL teams in these stats of 500 AB, .260 avg. I don't see that it is going to get better moving forward because all the suggested changes to improve pace of game are quietly being ignored by the umpires who now let "New York" do it all for them.

Eventually, they will wear computer cameras on their chest protectors to call balls and strikes.

If a guy can hit, put him at first base so he can't get hurt.