• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ryan O'Reilly and other random thoughts

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disclaimer- I've been up for 3 days forking on building designs so I needed a break and these are just random thoughts going through my head now.

So his name has been in trade rumors a fair bit lately & for anyone who has watched him play this season he's a really complete player. I'm wondering since there's a log jam on C's out in CO and there has been lots of trade talk surrounding him if the Flyers would be interested and what it would take to get him. I personally see him solving the problem of rotating player's on G's left side (he's listed as a C but has been playing LW for CO this season and is doing pretty well). He's a decent sized guy, with good hands, a high compete level and he's good both ways. The down side is he's an rfa this year and the qualifying offer would have to be $6.5m. I don't know that the cost would relly be quite as high to acquire him as some would think either since they desperately need help on the W and at D.

If the cap goes to $71.1m as projected we have roughly $21m to spend (after Pronger's ltir) with Mason, Raffl & B Schenn as the definite must re-signs Gusty, Downie, Timonen & Mez (yea I'm including him since it looks like he found his game and a 1 year deal could be relatively inexpensive and low risk) as possibles. The FA market is relatively weak and full of aging or injury prone players even though I could see management trying to sign Ryan Callahan, Dan Girardi, Tomas Vanek or doing the patented overpaying an aging declining player like Iginla.

I think this off season and the moves leading up to it are vital to the next few years for this organization & inevitably Snider's chances of seeing his "baby" raise another banner. So in my opinion there are only 2 things this team needs.
1. a top caliber LW to play with G and Vorachek. Enter O'Reilly who I don't think will fetch the asking price CO will put out. I'm thinking something like Read, Gusty & a pick or 2.
2. a top pairing workhorse D-man who can move the puck some. This is where we call Nashville back up and inquire about Weber, I know we've been there and done that but truth is the Preds messed up matching the offer sheet. I'd start by offering Laughton, Cousins (who played phenominally with Seth Jones), Hartnell (who I think would wave his htc to go back) & a 1st in 2015. This could only possibly work because Nashville is stocked on D prospects but has no scoring and the 3 guys going back have all shown they can score & better yet they all have net presence. If Weber isn't available call StL about either Shattenkirk of Jay-bo and no I don't care what some of your opinion on the guy is he can play

If the Flyers could make moves the even somewhat resemble these types of moves it puts them in a good spot moving forward. No more 10 top 9 F's. no more plugging guys in on the G line if one isn't going and most importantly we'd be getting a great d-man all while having some money to target other pieces during FA.

What do you guys think? Is there anyone you'd like to see targeted and what do you think it would cost to get them & hoe does it make this team better in the long haul?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Ryan O'Reilly but I'm not sure the Flyers would do something like that - I don't think he's an absolute need so to speak

As I've said a lot and I've hammered it home, I would really like to see the Flyers get Dmitry Kulikov - that would help their defense a lot

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Ryan O'Reilly but I'm not sure the Flyers would do something like that - I don't think he's an absolute need so to speak

As I've said a lot and I've hammered it home, I would really like to see the Flyers get Dmitry Kulikov - that would help their defense a lot

I see kulikov as an extremely 1 dimensional dman and it's not on the defensive side of things. I'm not sure he's the type of guy they can count on to play big minutes either but he would really help team scoring and especially the PP. Plus the whole jetting to the khl really would make me hesitant in giving anything of value up for him.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see kulikov as an extremely 1 dimensional dman and it's not on the defensive side of things. I'm not sure he's the type of guy they can count on to play big minutes either but he would really help team scoring and especially the PP. Plus the whole jetting to the khl really would make me hesitant in giving anything of value up for him.

I don't know if it's fair to judge him based on what he's done in Florida - a change of scenery could really help him blossom into one hell of a d-man - he's only 23 years old so there's plenty of time to develop - and I get the whole KHL thing but at some point you have to take a chance and convince him that this is a great situation that he would come into

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Timonen was considering retirement at the end of this season? If Timonen does go, it may begin Holmgren initiating some roster moves that may include guys like Weber and Kulikov.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O-Reilly - I'd be nervous doing the deal you suggested because i love matt read and i love his versatility, but i do think that would be a pretty good deal for the flyers. even as an RFA, the flyers would still hold a big bargaining chip if they didn't resign him. so that wouldn't concern me too much.

Weber - keep in mind nashville opted to match which not only forced them to pay big bucks for him, but they also turned down four 1st round picks. hartnell, laughton, cousins, and a 1st probably isn't enough to lure him away. it would be something on the scale of couturier, schenn, and gus, or giroux and a 2nd or something like that. defensemen are more valuable that forwards right now. to get a top-5 dman in the league, it's going to cost a fuck ton.

Shattenkirk - won't cost as much as weber, but i wouldn't be surprised if they refused unless couturier or schenn were included

Jaybo - absolutely not :)

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O-Reilly - I'd be nervous doing the deal you suggested because i love matt read and i love his versatility, but i do think that would be a pretty good deal for the flyers. even as an RFA, the flyers would still hold a big bargaining chip if they didn't resign him. so that wouldn't concern me too much.

Weber - keep in mind nashville opted to match which not only forced them to pay big bucks for him, but they also turned down four 1st round picks. hartnell, laughton, cousins, and a 1st probably isn't enough to lure him away. it would be something on the scale of couturier, schenn, and gus, or giroux and a 2nd or something like that. defensemen are more valuable that forwards right now. to get a top-5 dman in the league, it's going to cost a fuck ton.

Shattenkirk - won't cost as much as weber, but i wouldn't be surprised if they refused unless couturier or schenn were included

Jaybo - absolutely not :)

1) The only way you get ROR is if they do an extension RIGHT THEN - none of this wait in good faith stuff, if you're getting him, he's getting extended the day you trade for him

2) For Shea Weber, it will certainly cost a ton to get him - it's a slippery slope though

3) Kevin Shattenkirk - I guess you could give up Brayden Schenn for him, but eh I'm not sure - he's good though

4) Jay-Bo definitely not - although he's a good fit in STL as a 3rd d-man type

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) The only way you get ROR is if they do an extension RIGHT THEN - none of this wait in good faith stuff, if you're getting him, he's getting extended the day you trade for him

2) For Shea Weber, it will certainly cost a ton to get him - it's a slippery slope though

3) Kevin Shattenkirk - I guess you could give up Brayden Schenn for him, but eh I'm not sure - he's good though

4) Jay-Bo definitely not - although he's a good fit in STL as a 3rd d-man type

only reason i say i'm ok without an extension to ROR is because of the RFA status. if the flyers can't come to an agreement with him, his trade value is still high, assuming no brain farts, they should be able to get equal return and come out even through the ordeal. or, someone sends over an offer sheet that would get the flyers at least two 1st round picks if they didn't match. which would aso come out even in the end, though it would slow the flyers progress down as they'd have to wait a while on those picks to develop.

extension preferred, but not necessary in my mind. if he was UFA, it would be a completely different story. extension would be 100% necessary.