• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RUGER LCP .380 ACP 6RD PISTOL 3701

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a $199.99. I don't know a lot about handguns, so I'm looking for some input from you guys with knowledge. I have never owned a pistol and am looking for something for CC. Is this a gun you would consider for a first time purchase for CC? I'm just beginning my search, but my bro came across a couple of these at that price. I don't know if it's a good price or a good gun or anything about it, really. What say the Hoop?

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like them. We're planning on getting either a S&W Bodyguard or one of these for my wife at some point. I'm leaning toward the S&W because it has an external safety and she's more comfortable carry with a safety whereas the Ruger does not (something to consider fer sure). I also love my Shield so I'm fairly bias in my decision from the get go lol. Thing is solid.

Also, that's a damn good price. I'd buy a couple, make a little change on one and have a new gun.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does it have the built in laser?

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How experienced are you with shooting handguns? The LCP is a very small firearm and is more difficult to master than larger ones. From everything I've heard they are good to go though and would serve you well. The price of 380 ammunition is absurd though. It's more than 9mm and smaller. Not sure how that works. Market I guess.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How experienced are you with shooting handguns? The LCP is a very small firearm and is more difficult to master than larger ones. From everything I've heard they are good to go though and would serve you well. The price of 380 ammunition is absurd though. It's more than 9mm and smaller. Not sure how that works. Market I guess.
This will be my first handgun. I actually went with a Taurus 9mm. It just felt better in my hand. The only thing that I have to adjust to is the loooooooooooong trigger pull. Ran about 45 rounds through it today and got pretty comfortable with it and know where the 2nd stage is.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I didn't think to price the ammo for the .380. I got 50 rounds of 9mm for $14.90 though.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I order most of my ammo from SGAmmo.com but while they have an excellent selection and prices you really need to order 3-400 rounds minimum to make it worth it because of shipping.

That long trigger pull... which model Taurus is it? Is this a striker fired gun or TDA hammer? Try getting more finger on the trigger, closer to the first knuckle. If you can comfortably get close to "hooking" your finger on the trigger instead of using the pad of your finger you will notice that you have more control. After making sure the gun is clear find a plain wall where you have nothing else to focus on but the sites. Dry fire and watch the sites. Go through the motion slowly and deliberately with the goal of the sites no moving when you pull the trigger. Dry firing is your friend. Cheap practice. I believe all Taurus pistols can b dry fired without damage but check you manual first.

Also focus on your grip. Get high on the grip. Strong hand with trigger finger first with the weak hand over that one. Thumbs forward, parallel to the slide. To tell if you have a correct grip you should be able to move your weak-hand thumb into the trigger guard as well as your trigger finger and touch the two in front of the trigger. The weak-hand will steady the firearm with the strong-hand concentrating on the pull.

Youtube is a wealth of information on the above principles. Congratulations and good luck. If you have any questions let me know. I'll help if I can.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I order most of my ammo from SGAmmo.com but while they have an excellent selection and prices you really need to order 3-400 rounds minimum to make it worth it because of shipping.

That long trigger pull... which model Taurus is it? Is this a striker fired gun or TDA hammer? Try getting more finger on the trigger, closer to the first knuckle. If you can comfortably get close to "hooking" your finger on the trigger instead of using the pad of your finger you will notice that you have more control. After making sure the gun is clear find a plain wall where you have nothing else to focus on but the sites. Dry fire and watch the sites. Go through the motion slowly and deliberately with the goal of the sites no moving when you pull the trigger. Dry firing is your friend. Cheap practice. I believe all Taurus pistols can b dry fired without damage but check you manual first.

Also focus on your grip. Get high on the grip. Strong hand with trigger finger first with the weak hand over that one. Thumbs forward, parallel to the slide. To tell if you have a correct grip you should be able to move your weak-hand thumb into the trigger guard as well as your trigger finger and touch the two in front of the trigger. The weak-hand will steady the firearm with the strong-hand concentrating on the pull.

Youtube is a wealth of information on the above principles. Congratulations and good luck. If you have any questions let me know. I'll help if I can.

It's the PT 111-G2.

And one part of the manual says not to dry fire, but then in another section it tells you to dry fire so you can tear it down and clean it. And then everyone I spoke to in the gun shops didn't seem to have a problem dry firing any of their guns.

Appreciate the advice on the grip. I'll try it today when I head over to the range.

Thanks for the info.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Hickok45's videos. He the man.
I just found him, of course, since I'm just getting into guns, but I like his videos a lot more than the others. The dude seems straight forward, doesn't really sugar coat shit, doesn't try to sell shit, he just shoots the fucking guns and tells what he thinks. I like that. And the mofo can shoot.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just found him, of course, since I'm just getting into guns, but I like his videos a lot more than the others. The dude seems straight forward, doesn't really sugar coat shit, doesn't try to sell shit, he just shoots the fucking guns and tells what he thinks. I like that. And the mofo can shoot.
Yup, he does it the way it needs to be done when reviewing a gun. And yeah, he's one hell of shot on a bad day.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the PT 111-G2.

And one part of the manual says not to dry fire, but then in another section it tells you to dry fire so you can tear it down and clean it. And then everyone I spoke to in the gun shops didn't seem to have a problem dry firing any of their guns.

Appreciate the advice on the grip. I'll try it today when I head over to the range.

Thanks for the info.
Any modern centerfire pistol should be able to be dry-fired without issue. Weird. If you want to be safe A-Zoom Snap Caps are cheap enough and then you know you won't have any issues.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
taurus-1-tau_1_738039.jpg

Thinking about grabbing this guy for less than the lcp.

BubbleHead

Hoopla Cash
$ 81.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 69859

Thinking about grabbing this guy for less than the lcp.
I hate my Taurus TCP. Will not own it any longer than it takes me to find a buyer. Pain in the ass to get one pin in during reassembly. Put a day in at the range with it and started getting failure to feed once or twice per magazine after about 100 rds. Which I realize it's just a little pocket .380 and not really meant for putting that kind of use on it but just not impressed.