• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Round Tracker 2018

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be better for me if I walk. I mostly play by myself so having to fork over the cash for a cart rental doesn’t make sense anymore. Especially now that I’m looking into playing at least 1-2 times a week.
I need to start making early Sunday morning play a thing I do on the regular, even if my friends don't want to play. They just aren't reliable and I would rather just get up and walk 18 holes.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
does anyone use a Saybien range finder?

I like that it is rechargeable, especially with carts coming with USB plugs these days.

Also, it isn't all that expensive.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
does anyone use a Saybien range finder?

I like that it is rechargeable, especially with carts coming with USB plugs these days.

Also, it isn't all that expensive.

No experience with it, but it looks like a decent unit.

Last week I played with 3 guys...I have the Bushnell w/ slope (cannot turn it off), another guy also has a Bushnell (no slope), one guy had a Callaway laser, and the last guy had one I had never heard of (no slope)...point being, every time we all shot on the par 3 holes...we were within a yard if not getting the same number.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No experience with it, but it looks like a decent unit.

Last week I played with 3 guys...I have the Bushnell w/ slope (cannot turn it off), another guy also has a Bushnell (no slope), one guy had a Callaway laser, and the last guy had one I had never heard of (no slope)...point being, every time we all shot on the par 3 holes...we were within a yard if not getting the same number.
I figured they are all pretty accurate these days. I use The Grint on my phone to track my rounds and get GPS, but there are times I would like to have a scope style range finder. Maybe I will get myself a birthday gift.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured they are all pretty accurate these days. I use The Grint on my phone to track my rounds and get GPS, but there are times I would like to have a scope style range finder. Maybe I will get myself a birthday gift.

Yeah...I've had mine about 3-4 yrs now. I have a Garmin watch that I use more than the laser, but prefer the laser to back pins or really large greens. The 14th hole on my home course (they use the red front, white middle, blue back)...a middle pin can vary by as much as 15-20 yards from the GPS...the entire green is nearly 70 yds front to back.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a very good self gifter when it comes to golf stuff.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...I've had mine about 3-4 yrs now. I have a Garmin watch that I use more than the laser, but prefer the laser to back pins or really large greens. The 14th hole on my home course (they use the red front, white middle, blue back)...a middle pin can vary by as much as 15-20 yards from the GPS...the entire green is nearly 70 yds front to back.
I have considered the watch version gps, but I don't like wearing a watch while golfing. I have also considered one of those pocket gps things that clips to your belt loop.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a very good self gifter when it comes to golf stuff.
I am not. Took me a while to pull the trigger on a new driver.

I could use a new rangefinder and a lob wedge.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not. Took me a while to pull the trigger on a new driver.

I could use a new rangefinder and a lob wedge.

Not biologically but I was raised as an only child...you get used to self gifting...:nod:

Actually it's been a tough habit to break...after 30 yrs of marriage, my wife never buys me anything significant..."if he wants it, chances are he's already got it" is her line of thinking and most of the time she's right. One yr she bought me some golf shirts...nice but she paid way too much for them...me being me, I told her that and she's never bought me another shirt.

I started turning over my golf bag 3 yrs ago...irons, bag, rangefinder. The driver, 3w, and 4H are the remaining clubs. I'll likely change out the driver this fall.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not biologically but I was raised as an only child...you get used to self gifting...:nod:

Actually it's been a tough habit to break...after 30 yrs of marriage, my wife never buys me anything significant..."if he wants it, chances are he's already got it" is her line of thinking and most of the time she's right. One yr she bought me some golf shirts...nice but she paid way too much for them...me being me, I told her that and she's never bought me another shirt.

I started turning over my golf bag 3 yrs ago...irons, bag, rangefinder. The driver, 3w, and 4H are the remaining clubs. I'll likely change out the driver this fall.
it's more that I don't expect my gf or anyone to buy me anything for my golf bag. It's too difficult to choose the right thing. I remember we bought my dad a set of irons for Christmas one year and I don't know how he was so cool about it. I owuld have been very apprehensive about it. He ended up playing really well with them, but I would have been bringing them back.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's more that I don't expect my gf or anyone to buy me anything for my golf bag. It's too difficult to choose the right thing. I remember we bought my dad a set of irons for Christmas one year and I don't know how he was so cool about it. I owuld have been very apprehensive about it. He ended up playing really well with them, but I would have been bringing them back.

On any kind of gift situation...our whole family has pretty much resorted to sending pics of exactly what they want...I actually prefer it that way. I might get them a little something small as a surprise, but nothing significant.

Golf equipment is kinda personal...especially clubs so unless they know exactly what you want...a gift card works 100% of the time.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool looking!

PGA SS has a wide selection of putters, but I haven't seen this one. It's close by my office, so I'm in there every other week looking around.

I finally found that putter last week looking around at Golf Galaxy when traveling to Columbus on business. They didn't have a CS version, so it felt weird overall having so much putter on one side of the shaft. I'm also too cheap to pay $400+ on a putter.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have considered the watch version gps, but I don't like wearing a watch while golfing. I have also considered one of those pocket gps things that clips to your belt loop.

I don't like watches period, got like 3 of them sitting in a drawer, and never wear them, but I've gotten used to it for golf...the belt clip kind...I would eventually lose it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I finally found that putter last week looking around at Golf Galaxy when traveling to Columbus on business. They didn't have a CS version, so it felt weird overall having so much putter on one side of the shaft. I'm also too cheap to pay $400+ on a putter.

You and me both. Now my Scotty Cameron toting golf buddy will say...it's the only club you use on every hole.

I have trouble paying that for a driver....in fact I'm waiting for Titleist to come out with the new 918 so the 917 will come down to my price range...$300 is kinda my threshold for any one club.

So I trust that you left it on the shelf.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't understand what an expensive putter does for you.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you can get a red one for $300

Odyssey Golf- Exo Putter Indy S Winn

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That look is odd to me:

exo%20indy%20s%20putter3__15620.1524582863.jpg

But it would look less weird with the CS model.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't understand what an expensive putter does for you.

I have a fairly expensive putter by my standards (the Spider...my version was $220 I think with my $50 discount coupon from Dick's, a tad less than the tour version that didn't have the alignment aid).

My previous putter was an Odyssey Mallet style...I'm not really a straight back straight thru putter...I tend to open the face slightly going back and release it going thru.

The difference...the spider stays more square thru impact so the ball starts on the line I'm expecting more often..fewer misses to the right on the short putts.

So in a word...balance.

Edited to note...you still need a good stroke to make putts though.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a fairly expensive putter by my standards (the Spider...my version was $220 I think with my $50 discount coupon from Dick's, a tad less than the tour version that didn't have the alignment aid).

My previous putter was an Odyssey Mallet style...I'm not really a straight back straight thru putter...I tend to open the face slightly going back and release it going thru.

The difference...the spider stays more square thru impact so the ball starts on the line I'm expecting more often..fewer misses to the right on the short putts.

So in a word...balance.

Edited to note...you still need a good stroke to make putts though.
my feel is that I can fix my putting stroke to make sure I am hitting the ball correctly. I know there is a different feel for every putter out there, but I just can't see spending that much on a putter. I think I finally have a grip for my putter (hands, not the physical grip) that really works for me. Probably the best I have been putting in years right now.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my feel is that I can fix my putting stroke to make sure I am hitting the ball correctly. I know there is a different feel for every putter out there, but I just can't see spending that much on a putter. I think I finally have a grip for my putter (hands, not the physical grip) that really works for me. Probably the best I have been putting in years right now.

I'll just say...you can tell a difference in a cheap putter and an expensive one...unless you have jerky putting stroke...putting stroke may be the least reliant on technique is mostly about feel and confidence.

My buddy will tell you...the putter is the only club in the bag you use on every whole...don't skimp on it. I'm not quite on that level, but the big issue is comfort, feel and confidence...if you have that with a $50 putter...that's good as gold.