• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Round Tracker 2018

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol

I used to joke to a wonderful old gentleman in our league. Once a very fine player, I told him by all means, use the ladies tees. He growled about it but laughed. I said you don't kick it off the green cause you out chip everyone in the league do you?

I figure that sure, I'll get older & shorter and that will be reflected in my handicap pretty much the amount that distance influences scoring. One day I may well knock it around from the "forward tees" with my aging buddies but not while I'm playin' some young whippersnapper!

I played with a large group before I started playing with these guys I played with now...20 to 30 guys every weekend, and one of the guys is an older fella...late 70s...once or twice I ended up in his group...always looking for a side game he was...always the same bet...$1 front, $1 back, $1 overall. I never bet him (couldn't stand the thought of losing to a man hitting a hybrid from 150 yds)...lol, but I understand he collects as much as he loses.

We played the white tees wherever we went and he was offered to move up to the forward tees but he refused...said when it's time to move to the forward tees, that means it's time to hang it up.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I played with a large group before I started playing with these guys I played with now...20 to 30 guys every weekend, and one of the guys is an older fella...late 70s...once or twice I ended up in his group...always looking for a side game he was...always the same bet...$1 front, $1 back, $1 overall. I never bet him (couldn't stand the thought of losing to a man hitting a hybrid from 150 yds)...lol, but I understand he collects as much as he loses.

We played the white tees wherever we went and he was offered to move up to the forward tees but he refused...said when it's time to move to the forward tees, that means it's time to hang it up.
My dad is 70 and still hits from the white tees. He has shot his age quite a few times and can still drive the ball over 200 yards. I'm only 48 so if I acquired his genes I should be good to go for at least another 30 years.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember telling my dad he could hit from the senior tees after he was recovering from chemo. He got mad at me. Then he kicked my ass all over the course. He didn't need the distance, he just needed to consistently hit fairways.

Since it was your dad...you brush it off and keep it moving...:nod:

My FIL was a pretty good player back in the day shot 68 twice in tournament play and held the amateur course record at his club for several years...my dad never played golf as result I picked it up late in life...I was a decent bogey golfer the 1st time I played with my FIL...I remember shooting like 87 and getting smoked...some 10 years later we played and he'd been thru some health issues and no longer could play as much.

I asked him if he wanted to move up and he remember that beating I took and said, no I don't want too much advantage...I'm whipping him pretty good this time, and I said at the turn, you sure you don't want to move up...no...I'm going to take it like a man like you did...same tee box.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't feel like talking about yesterday's round.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't feel like talking about yesterday's round.

Wind at 20 gusting to 35, I think I'm in for a weekend of bad scoring.

Haven't been able to get in a full 18 all weekend, so my score Friday over nine was 45, yesterday a 46. Yesterday started with a snowman, drive ended up behind a tree, chipped out, next shot splash in the creek, blah..blah..blah.

I keep getting off to a slow start.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wind at 20 gusting to 35, I think I'm in for a weekend of bad scoring.

Haven't been able to get in a full 18 all weekend, so my score Friday over nine was 45, yesterday a 46. Yesterday started with a snowman, drive ended up behind a tree, chipped out, next shot splash in the creek, blah..blah..blah.

I keep getting off to a slow start.
I lost a round of golf to my 70 year old dad today. He shot a two over par 74 to my 76. Even though he only hits his drives about 220 yards he is dead straight and his short game is exceptional.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looking to book a tee time up at Renditions this Sunday with some friends. My dad passed away on June 9, 2016, so I want to go play a nice course every year on his anniversary.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I lost a round of golf to my 70 year old dad today. He shot a two over par 74 to my 76. Even though he only hits his drives about 220 yards he is dead straight and his short game is exceptional.

Nice scores.

...after coming off the front with a +4 39 yesterday, I proceeded the HACK up the back for a...get this....88!

FUCK!

Pured a wedge over the green on #10 and when I went down the slope to look for my ball, some bitch had pocketed it from just off the 7th tee. She dropped it back somewhere near where it was...into a shitty lie and I fucked up the wedge back to the green, then another.....missed the double bogey for a triple.

On #13 blocked a drive OB. Ensuring that doesn't happen again I hooked out into the hazard left and got stymied. So stuck behind the trees hitting my 5th shot...I managed a double par.

So aside from going 8 over on two holes, the rest wasn't too bad. Cripes.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
N

FUCK!

Pured a wedge over the green on #10 and when I went down the slope to look for my ball, some bitch had pocketed it from just off the 7th tee. She dropped it back somewhere near where it was...into a shitty lie and I fucked up the wedge back to the green, then another.....missed the double bogey for a triple.

On #13 blocked a drive OB. Ensuring that doesn't happen again I hooked out into the hazard left and got stymied. So stuck behind the trees hitting my 5th shot...I managed a double par.

Cripes.

I have all those shots in my arsenal too.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another nice night here for golfing.

I have had 2 good rounds to start my league this season and I am starting to think about superstition. I have been wearing my dad's old Galloway cap, so I think I will keep wearing that. Unfortunately I can't drink tonight, so that might affect my game...

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Took a while to get back out and play 18 holes. Been working at the range a lot trying to fix my swing. Only played a hand full of times after not playing at all for 7-8 years. Got fitted into a new set of Pings and a Calloway GBB driver last summer and played two rounds in the 90’s and one over 100 where I lost half of the balls in my bag. I was about ready to say “screw this”

I couldn’t stop pushing the ball. I tried everything short of taking lessons. But after a few months of consistent practice I was finally able to fix the glitch in my swing. At first I thought it was the fitting and using the wrong clubs. I’ve never used stiff shaft irons before. It ended up being that I simply needed to scoot up a couple of inches closer to the ball and work on controlling my tempo. Now I’m consistently straight and hitting longer than I was 10 years ago.

The last two weekends I played 2 rounds in the high 80’s. Would be better if it didn’t take 2-3 puts to hole the ball. Sunday, I hit dead center of the fairway every time. Every iron shot was dead straight. Played with the same two balls I started with - didn’t lose any. Felt really good to finally dial in my long game. Short game needs a lot of work now.

I’m hooked again.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another nice night here for golfing.

I have had 2 good rounds to start my league this season and I am starting to think about superstition. I have been wearing my dad's old Galloway cap, so I think I will keep wearing that. Unfortunately I can't drink tonight, so that might affect my game...
shot a 46 last night. Would really like to have the 8th hole back. Hit an ok drive, but not where I wanted it. Leaves you with a second shot through trees to get back to the fairway on the dogleg right. I didn't keep the ball low enough (maybe should have hit a half a 5 instead of a 7I) and kicked off a tree into the driving range and OB. Drop another from where I was and did not hit it well. Next shot was going to be ugly too. Finally got on the green and out for an 8 on a par 5.

Missed a couple birdie putts too.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well fellas...back in the stead after Myrtle Beach.

I had intentions of taking a few pics but the entire trip was a blur...I had played with maybe 10 of the guys in the past, but being a rookie with this group I trying to get to know 20+ people time flew by.

Barefoot Golf Resort review.

Overall...I give it 4 of 5 stars.

Lodging condos...on the property...3.5...clean, everything worked, basic interior finishing...the tiny twin beds and 3rd floor with no elevator is the only reason for 3.5.

Courses...4. I personally like the Love course the best, but all were challenging, yet fair. Fazio was more visually deceptive, but maybe the prettiest. Norman was the easiest of the 3 we played. We didn't play the Dye course.

Course/practice facility conditions...3.5 The Love and Fazio courses both had 2 or 3 greens that were in bad shape, but the general theme we all had was they are putting a lot of water on the course...it was soft under foot in many fairways and slow...the green complexes allowed run up shots on many holes, but the fringes were so soft, you couldn't play run up shots...even 3 yards to the green, they look really nice, but balls would hit and die...that got a lot of us.

The range was incredible...practice any shot you want.

Staff...4...the rangers keep play moving always carrying water and ice with them.

Conclusion...we have the new Champions Bermuda greens, they are built for the heat and humidity of the south...they have some type of hybrid bermuda, so I was a little surprise they had so many greens struggling. Very playable still. We played on a off peak pkg rate deal, but right now imo they are not worth the rack rate price of $140 on the weekend. Would love to catch them in peak season. You can't go wrong at Barefoot, but MAR to mid May or late Sept to early NOV would be my ideal time to go there.

Okay...the results, 23 golfers.

Day one...Love course...41-40...this was the low medal for the day...my best ball striking day of the 3, hit 10 GIR, had real chances to break 80, but couldn't make the putts late.

Day two...Fazio course...40-47...my 168 total was the 3rd lowest and qualified for the top flight...left 5 putts 4-6' out there on this day...76 was low medal for the day and gave him a 164 total and the 36 hole lead giving him a 2 shot lead on the everyone in the flight.

Day three...Norman course...40-49...8 players were within 4 shots of the lead so that created the top flight headcount...in my group, we all struggled on the back so maybe it was the pressure. Low medal was 40-46 and that was good enough to overcome the 36 hole leader's 2 shot advantage....I beat the the 36 hole leader by a shot on the course, (he shot 41-49) but his 2 shots gave him a net 88...top 2 in each flight get a nice trophy so I got nothing for 3rd, but I did cash in on my one birdie on Saturday for a healthy skin take...paid for my gas!

I was right there with a chance, hit a two sloppy drives on the back coupled with some short game errors and the easiest track of the 3 took a bite out of me. Had a blast...looking forward to next year already.

Last edited:

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Double bogeyed 18 and still broke 80 with a 79 yesterday. Game's comin' around and I feel like I'm close.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I so dearly learned that patience is not one of my strong suits when it comes to golf.

In Myrtle Beach you tend to get all types in the summer...players that can't break a 100 and players that can break 80...on the final day, we were following a large group...roughly 100 players (thankfully, not all on the Norman course on the final day).

Long story short...the group ahead had 2 players that were newbies to golf or so it looked on the 1st tee....after 9 holes of waiting 5-8 minutes on every shot...I started losing it on the 15th hole....90+ deg heat, 80% humidity...I just lost it...double, par, bogey, bogey finish...+4...and the winner beat me by exactly 4 shots.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another nine holes another score of 45. I'm hitting longer and straighter, but not seeing it in the scoring.

Yesterday the heat index was 100, and I kept feeling like i was going to lose my grip on the club, no matter how many times i tried to dry off my hand. By the 7th hole I was already exhausted, club pro was giving my wife and i shit for not taking a cart.

But the heat isn't an excuse, a couple times I made a bad choice on club selection and it cost me...I'm trying to hit my 4 and 5 irons instead of fairway woods.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thinking of buying a push cart when I get back home. Would better for me to walk

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thinking of buying a push cart when I get back home. Would better for me to walk
I have one, I don't use it enough. I always want to get it out more, but I just don't.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have one, I don't use it enough. I always want to get it out more, but I just don't.
It would be better for me if I walk. I mostly play by myself so having to fork over the cash for a cart rental doesn’t make sense anymore. Especially now that I’m looking into playing at least 1-2 times a week.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be better for me if I walk. I mostly play by myself so having to fork over the cash for a cart rental doesn’t make sense anymore. Especially now that I’m looking into playing at least 1-2 times a week.

I'm thinking the wife and i should have grabbed a cart yesterday at the turn...temps were 90ish with heat index at 100. I totally shit the bed on hole eleven, the body didn't want to continue, it's like i lost all coordination. Decided to just play our way to the clubhouse and drink some beer.

Did shoot a 42 on the front, so i was pleased with that.