• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Round Tracker 2018

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my feel is that I can fix my putting stroke to make sure I am hitting the ball correctly. I know there is a different feel for every putter out there, but I just can't see spending that much on a putter. I think I finally have a grip for my putter (hands, not the physical grip) that really works for me. Probably the best I have been putting in years right now.

my current putter was probably $150 brand new, but I got it as a best man gift... so it was free for me.

I notice the difference in feel between different grades of putter, but not to the point where the putter would be the cause of a miss. Some end up being more forgiving on balls not hit dead center, which happens every once in a while late in a round.

I put one of those huge fatso grips on my putter, looks like a fungo bat, and that took some getting used to in order to understand the feel.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my current putter was probably $150 brand new, but I got it as a best man gift... so it was free for me.

I notice the difference in feel between different grades of putter, but not to the point where the putter would be the cause of a miss. Some end up being more forgiving on balls not hit dead center, which happens every once in a while late in a round.

I put one of those huge fatso grips on my putter, looks like a fungo bat, and that took some getting used to in order to understand the feel.
I have a fat grip on my putter now too. I like it. I don't break my wrists as much and I feel like I have better control of my swing.

One part of my putting stroke is not watching the ball get struck. I look up too soon to see where it is going and that causes me to miss hit the ball. A new putter won't solve that.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a fat grip on my putter now too. I like it. I don't break my wrists as much and I feel like I have better control of my swing.

One part of my putting stroke is not watching the ball get struck. I look up too soon to see where it is going and that causes me to miss hit the ball. A new putter won't solve that.

Nope, sure won't.

Equipment can help with minor flaws, but that's about it. A friend that I play with from time to time just got a whole new bag...I thought he could use some more forgiving irons so that made sense but the other stuff I think he just burned up $750 on a new driver and 3w.

He likes to call it a power fade, but the reality is, he has a 30+ yd slice. He's learned to play it, (mostly low 90s but can shoot high 80s sometimes) but he only hits it about 220-230 on a good ball. He bought the new Callaway Rogue (draw bias).

I told him he would have been better served to spend $250 on a pkg of lessons to go with that new driver....nothing wrong with your 3w.

Love the fat putter grip too.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, sure won't.

Equipment can help with minor flaws, but that's about it. A friend that I play with from time to time just got a whole new bag...I thought he could use some more forgiving irons so that made sense but the other stuff I think he just burned up $750 on a new driver and 3w.

He likes to call it a power fade, but the reality is, he has a 30+ yd slice. He's learned to play it, (mostly low 90s but can shoot high 80s sometimes) but he only hits it about 220-230 on a good ball. He bought the new Callaway Rogue (draw bias).

I told him he would have been better served to spend $250 on a pkg of lessons to go with that new driver....nothing wrong with your 3w.

Love the fat putter grip too.
I am in the same boat but I bought the Callaway XR16 driver on the cheap. It is definitely more forgiving than the Taylormade R1 I had and there are times where there is no slice, but I would really love to fix that off the tee. I need to take it to the range and hit a bucket of just driver and learn how to shape my shots with it.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am in the same boat but I bought the Callaway XR16 driver on the cheap. It is definitely more forgiving than the Taylormade R1 I had and there are times where there is no slice, but I would really love to fix that off the tee. I need to take it to the range and hit a bucket of just driver and learn how to shape my shots with it.

I'm finding that the shaft is more important than the club head.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm finding that the shaft is more important than the club head.
Stiff. My swing speed is high enough and I don't slice my 3W or 5W, which are both stiff.

I don't think I go forward enough when I swing my driver. There are times when I end up with weight on my right heel instead of my left foot. I need to read that chapter of the Ben Hogan book again.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my golf team, DILLIGAF, moved into first place in the league after last week. Hell yea!

Playing the second place team tonight, hoping to get a cushion going into the mid season Captain's Choice week.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stiff. My swing speed is high enough and I don't slice my 3W or 5W, which are both stiff.

I don't think I go forward enough when I swing my driver. There are times when I end up with weight on my right heel instead of my left foot. I need to read that chapter of the Ben Hogan book again.

I needed a high kick point on the shafts to bring the launch lower.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

fknhippie touched on it and I agree with that 100%.

The shaft normally has more impact on the ball flight than the clubhead, but with the ability to change the face angle from closed to open and vice versa does help these guys tighten up your dispersion...especially when the ball flight does the same thing every time.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fknhippie touched on it and I agree with that 100%.

The shaft normally has more impact on the ball flight than the clubhead, but with the ability to change the face angle from closed to open and vice versa does help these guys tighten up your dispersion...especially when the ball flight does the same thing every time.
part of the enjoyment I get out of golf (and other sports) is figuring out what is up with my form that causes something to happen. I have to be doing something wrong that is causing the ball to do what it is doing. Fixing that and getting shit right is fun to me.

I feel like buying different equipment is the easy way out.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
part of the enjoyment I get out of golf (and other sports) is figuring out what is up with my form that causes something to happen. I have to be doing something wrong that is causing the ball to do what it is doing. Fixing that and getting shit right is fun to me.

I feel like buying different equipment is the easy way out.

One thing you definitely can't do and a lot of people try, you can't buy a golf game off the rack.

I started the game with lessons and had another series maybe 5 yrs after I started and this instructor was the best I worked with. He said, as long as you don't have aspirations to play on somebody's tour, this might be the last golf lesson you'll need.

These are your flaws...we've gone over how to correct them...the amount of time and effort you spend working on the corrections will be a huge factor in your success going forward. Now...at some point one of these flaws will probably creep back into your swing...when that happens, resort back to these drills and it should get you back on track.

So far...he's been right.

That said...sometimes a new club can trigger something...it may be nothing more than a renewed interest in practicing/playing.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dropped 4 bills on the Ping G400 Max this year and I'll call it money well spent. It's a very forgiving club and I picked up about 10yds. Wasn't hitting from inside enough for a spell there and was taking too strong a grip to compensate resulting in occasional pulls to the left. As of late though, I'm trusting the inside line and really starting to hit it very well. I hit 6 of 7 drives perfectly in last Tues league match.

My shoulder's finally back to 100% and I feel like I'm right on the verge of having a solid game. I've logged two 78s but that 80 number is still for the most, part eluding me.

The new course is crazy immaculate and beautiful. Phil had to sub last night in our old league at the local muni and he said he forgot how spoiled we are!

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My shoulder's finally back to 100% and I feel like I'm right on the verge of having a solid game. I've logged two 78s but that 80 number is still for the most, part eluding me.

!

If you're scoring 78's and can't get an 80, miss a couple of putts on 18.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dropped 4 bills on the Ping G400 Max this year and I'll call it money well spent. It's a very forgiving club and I picked up about 10yds. Wasn't hitting from inside enough for a spell there and was taking too strong a grip to compensate resulting in occasional pulls to the left. As of late though, I'm trusting the inside line and really starting to hit it very well. I hit 6 of 7 drives perfectly in last Tues league match.

The new course is crazy immaculate and beautiful. Phil had to sub last night in our old league at the local muni and he said he forgot how spoiled we are!

I'll trade my 80 for a 78!...shot a 93 in my 1st round back at home after Myrtle Bch...at the home course just didn't do anything well, but a 10 on the par 5 6th and a double on the 18th ensured I wasn't going to break 90. Hopefully an early tee-time tomorrow will get me back on track.

Playing this track...played it quite a bit last yr...1st time on it this yr.

The Providence Club Community Association Website

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit what a scorecard we filled yesterday.

My game is coming around but yesterday I just couldn't stop the bleeding. I played ok but made 8 bogeys on the front. None of them were saved with a putt...all tap-ins on par putts that wouldn't fall. Phil shot a one over 36 to my 43.

I hit the 10th and rolled in a 12 footer for bird. Stiff 11 and bird again. bogey, par par later, I stiffed an 8 iron into 15 leaving a 30" birdie putt to go -2. Missed the fucking thing closing the blade....fuck! Then I birdied 16 to get to -2. Had a 7 footer for bird on 17 and missed. Boom a drive on 18 leaving a wedge that I FUCKING BLADE over the green. Flopped over the bunker past the hole and took my bogey on a two putt to shoot one under on the back

Phil started missing all sorts of shit on the back nine and went +6.

So, my card 43,34-77 His card 36,41-77

Golf's funny...I'll bet that if I had made the short birdie on 15, I'd have been two under and played the last three to try to hold that score and I would have fucked the whole thing up. As it was, it gave me the pissed-off to keep fighting and even when I rolled in a 15 footer for bird on 16, I could avoid any early celebrating by still being pissed about missing the short one. It was just a nice never-give-up round that reminds me to never give up.

Lastly, all of this happened on a scorecard I kept and ignored. I knew I was scoring well but I only had a general sense of my score. I think that's probably the best way for everyone but I know it's the best way for me to score my best.

Last edited:

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My game is coming around but yesterday I just couldn't stop the bleeding. I played ok but made 8 bogeys on the front. None of them were saved with a putt...all tap-ins on par putts that wouldn't fall. Phil shot a one over 36 to my 43.

I hit the 10th and rolled in a 12 footer for bird. Stiff 11 and bird again. bogey, par par later, I stiffed an 8 iron into 15 leaving a 30" birdie putt to go -2. Missed the fucking thing closing the blade....fuck! Then I birdied 16 to get to -2. Had a 7 footer for bird on 17 and missed. Boom a drive on 18 leaving a wedge that I FUCKING BLADE over the green. Flopped over the bunker past the hole and took my bogey on a two putt to shoot one under on the back

Golf's funny...I'll bet that if I had made the short birdie on 15, I'd have been two under and played the last three to try to hold that score and I would have fucked the whole thing up. As it was, it gave me the pissed-off to keep fighting and even when I rolled in a 15 footer for bird on 16, I could avoid any early celebrating by still being pissed about missing the short one. It was just a nice never-give-up round that reminds me to never give up.

Lastly, all of this happened on a scorecard I kept and ignored. I knew I was scoring well but I only had a general sense of my score. I think that's probably the best way for everyone but I know it's the best way for me to score my best.

Damn, you fucked up and missed an 80 again.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's playing some golf sir. It's just hard as hell to sustain that level for 18, but I'm sensing one of you will push thru if you keep pressing each other.

Redemption of sorts yesterday at Providence...42-42 - 84...Swing was much better than the score...one bad swing (OB, led to a +3 7 on the back...on the front, 2 dbls from around the green in reg still burn, both were fairly easy U&D chances...completely butchered. I'll be at the short game area in about an hour.

Most likely back on the home course next weekend.

May go up to this state park for the 4th...one of the prettiest golf courses you'll play...if this were on Lake Oconee (Georgia's best collection of public/semi private golf...where big Ben found some trouble a while back) it would cost $150 to play...being a state park...$40 on the weekend and holiday.

Arrowhead Pointe Golf Course – Elberton, GA

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, after consulting with the group...we're not going to Arrowhead Pointe next week, both of them are traveling for the 4th, we'll table that one for later on, but we are going to double dip this weekend.

Heading out west about 15 mins from the Alabama border...Villa Rica, GA to tackle The Frog...a Tom Fazio layout. I've played it a few times...without question one of the nicest public access (semi-private) courses in the metro area...freakin 80 miles from my house, but in small doses...it's well worth it. My two regulars (neither have played it) are joining up with a member that I played the tourney with in Myrtle Bch...the winner of the top flight actually.

Should be a fun round and Sunday back at the home course.

The Frog

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We play 11 holes in our league and I made 8 pars last night....and three DOUBLE BOGEYS! Cripes.