• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rory posts 80!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have said this before. I think Rory's confidence gets the better of him sometimes. His game can be so overpowering sometimes that you get the impression he might cut a few corners come prep time for a new tournament.

That may have been the case last week but after missing the cut you would think he would do his homework this week. But this week it may have not been the over confidence but 101 distractions and demands on his time, this being his foundations tournament.

It's a shame too. I love these tournaments across the pond. I wake up at 6 am and live golf is on.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have said this before. I think Rory's confidence gets the better of him sometimes. His game can be so overpowering sometimes that you get the impression he might cut a few corners come prep time for a new tournament.

That may have been the case last week but after missing the cut you would think he would do his homework this week. But this week it may have not been the over confidence but 101 distractions and demands on his time, this being his foundations tournament.

It's a shame too. I love these tournaments across the pond. I wake up at 6 am and live golf is on.

I think that he is focused primarily on the majors and anything else is gravy. I hate to think that he will become the new Tiger in that he plays a very short schedule specifically tailored to tuning up for the majors plus his favorite/home courses.

It's one of the unintended consequences of the huge money being thrown about in the PGA, the top players don't need the PGA nearly as much as the PGA needs the top players.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant to add that the demands on his time in his home land have got to be a drain. If he blows off all or most of the media meet and greets as well as the social fluff he is in danger of being considered an aloof prick, ala Tiger.

If he does all of that and comes up short in the tourney because his prep was a bit lacking he still isn't seen in the best light. Poor kid can't win.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant to add that the demands on his time in his home land have got to be a drain. If he blows off all or most of the media meet and greets as well as the social fluff he is in danger of being considered an aloof prick, ala Tiger.

If he does all of that and comes up short in the tourney because his prep was a bit lacking he still isn't seen in the best light. Poor kid can't win.

Yeah...no doubt some of that is in play, but when you sign for the big sponsorship cash there is a catch.

imo it's not the reason Rory has missed two cuts back to back...his game is based around power and for a guy 5'9" and maybe 185 lbs...unless your name is Fred Couples that can be a little dangerous I think...from afar...he seems like a great kid, smart enough to know that he can't or shouldn't be trying to carry the game.

I think he just needs to figure out how to grind out scores when he doesn't have his best game.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...no doubt some of that is in play, but when you sign for the big sponsorship cash there is a catch.

imo it's not the reason Rory has missed two cuts back to back...his game is based around power and for a guy 5'9" and maybe 185 lbs...unless your name is Fred Couples that can be a little dangerous I think...from afar...he seems like a great kid, smart enough to know that he can't or shouldn't be trying to carry the game.

I think he just needs to figure out how to grind out scores when he doesn't have his best game.

I think Rory has shown that he can grind when he needs to. But he never had a chance to really do any grinding with his last 2 tournaments. He fell apart so early and was in such a deep hole, grinding was never really an option.

My feeling is so much of this has to do with him having to shift into links mode which he never did.
Rory goes to Europe with the mind set that he just victimized his last course. To take a quote from Bagger Vance

"You can't look at the flag as some dragon you got to slay ....you have to look at it with soft eyes"

He goes there thinking he can overpower these links courses. And the truth is his game is so much better suited for golf in the US. He himself said several years back about the British open "It don't see why i have to change my game for 1 Tournament" And this from a guy from Europe.

These links courses require a completely different mind set. Phil even started to play the Scottish Open to get into that mindset and look what happen. Rory won the Scottish open the week before winning the British Open.

The changeover to links was just to quick and I think he took it for granted. I have no doubt that Rory will not have have any US dates the week before he has a links course to play.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the bright side Rory gets to come back to the states for the US Open in a week.

The downside: It's a links course. lol

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Rory has shown that he can grind when he needs to. But he never had a chance to really do any grinding with his last 2 tournaments. He fell apart so early and was in such a deep hole, grinding was never really an option.

My feeling is so much of this has to do with him having to shift into links mode which he never did.
Rory goes to Europe with the mind set that he just victimized his last course. To take a quote from Bagger Vance

"You can't look at the flag as some dragon you got to slay ....you have to look at it with soft eyes"

He goes there thinking he can overpower these links courses. And the truth is his game is so much better suited for golf in the US. He himself said several years back about the British open "It don't see why i have to change my game for 1 Tournament" And this from a guy from Europe.

These links courses require a completely different mind set. Phil even started to play the Scottish Open to get into that mindset and look what happen. Rory won the Scottish open the week before winning the British Open.

The changeover to links was just to quick and I think he took it for granted. I have no doubt that Rory will not have have any US dates the week before he has a links course to play.

idk...I haven't seen it enough to agree with you.

I agree the last two weeks he was really out of it early, but my comment is not based on the last two weeks...I think he's missed roughly 30 cuts as pro between both tours...imo, when his driver is on...there is a big divide between him and the next guy. When it's not, I'm not saying he's chop liver...typically a USO setup forces players to grind out pars...even though he's won one already (again smoked the field with a hot driver) that doesn't seem to agree with his style of play...big drive, short iron attack....almost Bubba-like, only better imo.

Links...yeah, much like Mickelson...hits a really high ball and that's not great on links courses...especially true links played in the wind...that will change over time. That is a bit strange though for a kid from N. Ireland.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
idk...I haven't seen it enough to agree with you.

I agree the last two weeks he was really out of it early, but my comment is not based on the last two weeks...I think he's missed roughly 30 cuts as pro between both tours...imo, when his driver is on...there is a big divide between him and the next guy. When it's not, I'm not saying he's chop liver...typically a USO setup forces players to grind out pars...even though he's won one already (again smoked the field with a hot driver) that doesn't seem to agree with his style of play...big drive, short iron attack....almost Bubba-like, only better imo.

Links...yeah, much like Mickelson...hits a really high ball and that's not great on links courses...especially true links played in the wind...that will change over time. That is a bit strange though for a kid from N. Ireland.

Sunday at the PGA championship last year proves that he can do it. He had nothing the first half of the day but he was patient and it turned into what I think is his best victory to date.

Having said all that, I don't think patience is his strong point. And chances are he will never be as patient or methodical as Tiger was. And it's ironic as I say that because Rory's patience gave him a come from behind win at a major. Something Tiger never did which is unbelievable because his game was perfect for picking up strokes on the field.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sunday at the PGA championship last year proves that he can do it. He had nothing the first half of the day but he was patient and it turned into what I think is his best victory to date.

Having said all that, I don't think patience is his strong point. And chances are he will never be as patient or methodical as Tiger was. And it's ironic as I say that because Rory's patience gave him a come from behind win at a major. Something Tiger never did which is unbelievable because his game was perfect for picking up strokes on the field.

'14 PGA...yeah...he did have to grind a bit in the final round, but I want to say he had the 54 hole lead, no?

My comment is not really a knock on Rory, more or less a state of his game imo...but inevitably some people will try to draw him into comparisons with TW...some are fair and natural since he's the only guy on ANY kind track to warrant such comparison.

TW was (yeah, was) the best front-runner in the history of the game, but if he didn't make a move on FRI or SAT it wasn't going to happen...he may have 5 come from behind wins total and none of them majors as you said.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Break up with that chick and he'll start winning again