• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Rivalry Night: Caps @ Pens

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They played terrible the last 10 minutes and somehow outscored us 2-0 in that span.

Too many chances missed there - Orlov, Brouwer, and Alzner all missed big opportunities.

I'm surprised they started Neuvy - in a game like this, I thought one of the other two would have gotten the nod

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if twenty other GM's are kicking themselves for not drafting Maatta prior to the Pens snagging him at #22 overall?

He has a presence about him on the ice that instantly makes you forget he's just 19. So composed and smart with the puck, and his defensive positioning and instincts are fantastic.

He slipped. Even at the time he was VERY highly regarded, like top 10. Most of the experts were actually surprised the Pens chose Pouliot and THEN Maatta. Most thought take Maatta 8th, then Pouliot with their own pick. Pretty happy to have both, hah.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised they started Neuvy - in a game like this, I thought one of the other two would have gotten the nod

I think it was career numbers that got him the nod. Just has played the Pens well in the past. He was tremendous in the first. Pens put 17 on net in the first.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not gonna give Neuvy a bad time when the tying goal was off his own player's stick and the winning goal hit off our player and went in. Bad luck tonight.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He slipped. Even at the time he was VERY highly regarded, like top 10. Most of the experts were actually surprised the Pens chose Pouliot and THEN Maatta. Most thought take Maatta 8th, then Pouliot with their own pick. Pretty happy to have both, hah.

And I don't get why that was? People scared away by a supposed lack of size? :noidea:

He's getting better by the game right now. For a true rookie to be doing that at his position is pretty rare.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I don't get why that was? People scared away by a supposed lack of size? :noidea:

He's getting better by the game right now. For a true rookie to be doing that at his position is pretty rare.

Never remember seeing any real reasoning. I'm gonna go glance at that class though, just to see what other Dmen were taken over him. Obviously it's too early to make judgements on a lot of those guys, but it should be a bit interesting.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never remember seeing any real reasoning. I'm gonna go glance at that class though, just to see what other Dmen were taken over him. Obviously it's too early to make judgements on a lot of those guys, but it should be a bit interesting.

Oh it's interesting :whistle:

9 other blue liners went prior to Maatta coming off the board at 22

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good game Cap fans.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh it's interesting :whistle:

9 other blue liners went prior to Maatta coming off the board at 22

Ryan Murray, Griffin Reinhart, Morgan Rielly, Hampus Lindholm, Mathew Dumba, Derrick Pouliot, Jacob Trouba, Slater Koekkoek, Cody Ceci.

Wow...that was a dang good draft for Dmen, wasn't it? Only a year and a half ago, and a lot of those guys are already contributing, or very highly rated prospects. That first round may go down as a great one in a few years too, with Galchenyuk, Faksa, Girgensons, Grigorenko, Hertl, Wilson, Laughton, and Teravainen going in the first for the forwards. And Yakupov of course.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a very entertaining game! Caps controlled more of the flow but it seemed pretty even in quality chances.

Malkin was half "best player in the world" and half "stupidest player in the world". He had a lazy effort on the 1st goal against (I know Letang takes the lion's share of the blame but still) and a bad turnover in the 1st that almost led to a 2 on 1. And he took stupid penalties. But the rest of the time he was flying - his assist on the game winner was outstanding.

Crosby had a good game but not rewarded in terms of points.

Saw the good and bad of Letang there. He's got so much potential if somebody could just screw his head on right. Hard to tell how much of that is a lack of coaching.

Maata had a great game, but still gets undressed way too often 1-on-1. Saw it live against Ottawa and saw it again tonight. But his future is bright.

Better hope Byslma doesn't put Orpik out against OV in the Olympics. What was he thinking? "Oh here, OV, why don't you just stand over there by the hashmarks, and I'll stand here just out of reach - oops you scored."

Ovechkin - he can flub nine shots in a row and then just when you're wondering how he racks up those goals he finds a soft spot and slams one home. I do miss the "on-the-rush" OV though, he seems to have lost that dimension.

Green - brutal defensively. Malkin went after him twice and got a chance + drew a penalty both times.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a very entertaining game! Caps controlled more of the flow but it seemed pretty even in quality chances.

Malkin was half "best player in the world" and half "stupidest player in the world". He had a lazy effort on the 1st goal against (I know Letang takes the lion's share of the blame but still) and a bad turnover in the 1st that almost led to a 2 on 1. And he took stupid penalties. But the rest of the time he was flying - his assist on the game winner was outstanding.

Crosby had a good game but not rewarded in terms of points.

Saw the good and bad of Letang there. He's got so much potential if somebody could just screw his head on right. Hard to tell how much of that is a lack of coaching.

Maata had a great game, but still gets undressed way too often 1-on-1. Saw it live against Ottawa and saw it again tonight. But his future is bright.

Better hope Byslma doesn't put Orpik out against OV in the Olympics. What was he thinking? "Oh here, OV, why don't you just stand over there by the hashmarks, and I'll stand here just out of reach - oops you scored."

Ovechkin - he can flub nine shots in a row and then just when you're wondering how he racks up those goals he finds a soft spot and slams one home. I do miss the "on-the-rush" OV though, he seems to have lost that dimension.

Green - brutal defensively. Malkin went after him twice and got a chance + drew a penalty both times.

From what I've read, he's his worst critic. He watches more film than anyone on the team, BUT he also over corrects what he sees. He'll find issues with his game, but tries to apply that out there, over thinks/corrects, and creates other issues. Which I can certainly believe. The dude trains a ton, apparently watches a ton of film, has plenty of natural talent, it's mental issues he has. That's a simple fix luckily...just need him to realize this, and correct it.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've read, he's his worst critic. He watches more film than anyone on the team, BUT he also over corrects what he sees. He'll find issues with his game, but tries to apply that out there, over thinks/corrects, and creates other issues. Which I can certainly believe. The dude trains a ton, apparently watches a ton of film, has plenty of natural talent, it's mental issues he has. That's a simple fix luckily...just need him to realize this, and correct it.

Definitely get the feeling he's trying to do too much. He's going for a big play every time he touches the puck. If he'd be a little more patient and choose his spots he'd be dominant. Have to think the injuries and slow start have had an effect. He probably was hoping to build on his Norris nomination but had seen his season somewhat derailed and is overcompensating.

Saw the same issues against the islanders last spring. Hope he can sort them out - I feel like I'm one of the few who still thinks he could have a majority positive role on the pens going forward.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely get the feeling he's trying to do too much. He's going for a big play every time he touches the puck. If he'd be a little more patient and choose his spots he'd be dominant. Have to think the injuries and slow start have had an effect. He probably was hoping to build on his Norris nomination but had seen his season somewhat derailed and is overcompensating.

Saw the same issues against the islanders last spring. Hope he can sort them out - I feel like I'm one of the few who still thinks he could have a majority positive role on the pens going forward.

I'd be singing a different tune about him if he didn't have that stinking contract. Obviously with the cap going up, and the market being what it is, Letang was due a lot of money. I just happen to think a trade prior to the deal would've been darn lucrative. At this point, he's a Penguin for better or worse, so...get better. His potential is so great though, just needs to work on the defensive game.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I missed the game, but I read some Pittsburgh sports weblog review, and all I was able to take from it was that the author was terrible at writing and didn't know what most of the words he was using meant.

I'm sure it was a lovely game, though.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I missed the game, but I read some Pittsburgh sports weblog review, and all I was able to take from it was that the author was terrible at writing and didn't know what most of the words he was using meant.

I'm sure it was a lovely game, though.

It was indeed lovely. I enjoyed every moment. Fans of both teams should be proud of the way their respective teams played last night. Much respect to Cap fans, their team played a good game. Pens just cashed in when they had to.