• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rip offs!

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, I found out what was wrong with my other car that I thought I might have a blown head gasket. Turns out the problem was the name on the title. The car appears to be fixed now that it isn't my name on it anymore :happy:

Got the wife a new, new to us, car. 2013 Camry XLE with crazy low miles. Now the kicker, something I NEVER thought about and just assumed...after signing everything and walking out to put us in the new beauty he hands me a key. Singular. I ask where the 2nd one is. "Let me check. <comes back a minute later> Oh sorry, this car only has one key". MOTHERF&$^$*$#

I had replaced my 4runner key once, and did so via ebay and some reprogramming so thought I could do the same. Nope, this is their "smartkey" system. From what I can tell if you use an old key that has been imprinted on another car, a locksmith has to "re-seed" the system to accept the key. A key on ebay is about $50 and sounds like locksmiths charge around $55 to recode it. $105 isn't too bad for a spare key and a lesson learned. Now if I go to the Toyota dealer, they want $400 damn dollars for the key and to program it. Screw that with a 2x4...sideways. I have a good feeling I know why they only supply one key.

But the car is sweet

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You gots one of those keypads that lets you open the door without a fob right? You know, like the ones on all Lincolns and most Fords.

I could never find a key when I wanted to drive wife's Explorer because she'd take the key as a habit from having a POS VW before. So, I put a drop of super glue on the plastic part of the key and stuck it in the ignition.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You gots one of those keypads that lets you open the door without a fob right? You know, like the ones on all Lincolns and most Fords.

I could never find a key when I wanted to drive wife's Explorer because she'd take the key as a habit from having a POS VW before. So, I put a drop of super glue on the plastic part of the key and stuck it in the ignition.

There isn't a keypad, it is just a proximity key. I keep it in my pocket and when I grab the handle it unlocks. Then it is pushstart. If I left the key in the car, anyone touching the handle could unlock it then start the car :) Since I didn't lojac the car, I don't think I should do that haha

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you make sure you got floor mats and a spare tire??

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you make sure you got floor mats and a spare tire??

Yeah floor mats are there and spare tire too. I just didn't think to ask about the second key, just assumed. It had been 12 years since I bought a used car, and I was a stupid kid out of college at that time.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like my lexus(aka expensive Toyota). I had no idea the keys were so expensive. I actually went to a keymaking thing in the mall and tried to get a copy.

The guy laughed at me.

$105 is a great deal.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Car dealers will do anything and everything to squeeze every dime out of a customer for the most unnecessary bullshit.

I remember asking about a spare key before I bought the last two cars. It's one of those things that they won't tell you about. If you lightly apply pressure before you sign they will thrown it in for free. The last time I said "My wife and I are going to share the car but we don't need to share the key too. You see, she has HER OWN key ring and I have mine..."
Eventually it ended up with me waiting an extra 30 minutes while they programmed a new key for me.

I do a lot of research on the car and the dealers before I buy and you would be surprised on what they can fuck you over on. For example, they get real pissy when I tell them I don't want any of their extended warranty bullshit. I'm not going to finance another 5 grand for something that I will never use or they wouldn't honor if I needed to use it anyway.

With the Stang they kept pushing a paint protection warranty that added $950 to the price of the car.
Me: "I don't want it"
Dumbass: "But it comes with the car"
Me: "Take it off"
Dumbass: "It's just 950 dollars"
Me: "Then you eat it."
Dumbass then goes back to the Imaginary Sales Manager and takes another $950 off the price...

The Jeep that I bought for my wife from one of the new dealerships up in Frisco a couple of months ago actually went pretty smooth. I was in and out in a couple of hours and didn't get hassled much at all.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Car dealers will do anything and everything to squeeze every dime out of a customer for the most unnecessary bullshit.

I remember asking about a spare key before I bought the last two cars. It's one of those things that they won't tell you about. If you lightly apply pressure before you sign they will thrown it in for free. The last time I said "My wife and I are going to share the car but we don't need to share the key too. You see, she has HER OWN key ring and I have mine..."
Eventually it ended up with me waiting an extra 30 minutes while they programmed a new key for me.

I do a lot of research on the car and the dealers before I buy and you would be surprised on what they can fuck you over on. For example, they get real pissy when I tell them I don't want any of their extended warranty bullshit. I'm not going to finance another 5 grand for something that I will never use or they wouldn't honor if I needed to use it anyway.

With the Stang they kept pushing a paint protection warranty that added $950 to the price of the car.
Me: "I don't want it"
Dumbass: "But it comes with the car"
Me: "Take it off"
Dumbass: "It's just 950 dollars"
Me: "Then you eat it."
Dumbass then goes back to the Imaginary Sales Manager and takes another $950 off the price...

The Jeep that I bought for my wife from one of the new dealerships up in Frisco a couple of months ago actually went pretty smooth. I was in and out in a couple of hours and didn't get hassled much at all.
Frisco is where I bought this one, was pretty quick. However, i didn't think about the key until after all the signing.

I can't find a locksmith around here that will do the Yota keys for cheap. The Yota stealership in Grapevine has the best price so far, $300.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There isn't a keypad, it is just a proximity key. I keep it in my pocket and when I grab the handle it unlocks. Then it is pushstart. If I left the key in the car, anyone touching the handle could unlock it then start the car :) Since I didn't lojac the car, I don't think I should do that haha

fordman, did you test this? Try it with a window down. We had a 2007 Prius for a few years and if the key was in the car and it was locked, it would know the key was IN the car and wouldn't unlock unless another smart key was on the outside. There was a valet key mode too.

There is a little button under the steering wheel that changed how the key worked, but I can't remember the details.