• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

rios claimed by rangers

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
personally, unless they get a good potential player along with the rangers paying his whole contract i'd hold onto him. he's a good player (sox don't have many) and depending on a rookie to come in and put up similar numbers would be very risky imo. we've been thru that before!

i don't think his contract is bad (like it once was) at all and hope the sox don't screw themselves like they so often do.

AlexeiRamirez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I just heard that on the score that Texas claimed him off waivers...and I hope the SOX counter offer rather than get nothing for him. That would be a waste

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
aaaaand ... the trade is final! sox take it up the ass again. they not only give him to texas for the infamous ptbnl ... but they throw in a million bucks on top.

i am ashamed to be white sox fan right now. these idiots will continue to drag this team to nowhere.

PLEEEEASE SELL THIS TEAM!

ChiefsNuggetsSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually the trade was a really good thing. THey opened up a roster spot for Garcia to play, and they brought back Leury Garcia, one of the fastest players in the league along with being a great fielder. He has a short stroke so his hitting should come around.

ChiefsNuggetsSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ALong with freeing up 16 million more dollars off the payroll. I think this winter they will dump this Flowers experiment behind the plate. I say make a press for McCann from the Braves. He is a free agent and can play first base. Keep Phegley up here and just find ways to keep McCann on the field. He can play first, catcher, or DH from time to time.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ALong with freeing up 16 million more dollars off the payroll. I think this winter they will dump this Flowers experiment behind the plate. I say make a press for McCann from the Braves. He is a free agent and can play first base. Keep Phegley up here and just find ways to keep McCann on the field. He can play first, catcher, or DH from time to time.

1st off .... 'freeing up payroll' is kinda ridiculous at some point (and it didn't free up $16M either). get rid of everyone and you 'free up payroll'! it works fine if you're dumping some over-paid guy (danks, dunn etc) but when you dump a dependable player like rios it's just a step backward. mccann is making $12M this season. rios 12.5. pretty similar numbers only rios was under contract for 2 more seasons at that price. what do you think mccann will ask for? so where does all the 'freed up salary' go?

Actually the trade was a really good thing. THey opened up a roster spot for Garcia to play, and they brought back Leury Garcia, one of the fastest players in the league along with being a great fielder. He has a short stroke so his hitting should come around.

2nd ... opening up a roster spot isn't necessarily a good thing now is it. would you claim giving sale away was good because it was "opening up a roster spot"? rios is a damn good player and worth his contract. garcia is a complete unknown! you only HOPE he lives up to the hype. how many of our hopefuls have come thru? rios was a sure thing! you knew what to expect. ...and...
leury garcia is crap! he couldn't even hit in the minors. and in 25 games for atlanta he had a total of 1 sb. how fast is that? he is not a very 2nd baseman either. i see no reason for any optimism on leury.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers fan here Garcia is a tremendous fielder and runner has close to 80 on a scout scale 20-80 but I don't know how much he brings with the bat though. But you will really like his slick fielding and really good arm

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
xFRs69a.gif

ChiefsNuggetsSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knowing that Rios is in his 30's along with knowing we aren't winning with him, why pay him that? McCann is a bit of a stretch, yes I admit it, but that doesn't mean they aren't shedding payroll. We sucked with Rios, we suck without him, what is the difference? We didn't trade Peavy for Garcia to hear about him tearing up in Charlotte. It does free up a spot for him to play. This is how general managers work in baseball. You have to accept it for what it is.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree there was no reason to keep Rios around, regardless of his reaonable contract, because the Sox if they are smart need to be rebuilding for 2015 at the earliest, when Dunn will also be off the books. They need to assume they will suck again next year, and do a total teardown and build back like the Pirates and Dbacks and Tigers did, and like the Marlins and Astros are doing now.

It's fair to ask why they didn't get more back for Rios before the trade deadline, but I suppose they really weren't offered much. None of us including idseer has any idea what goes on in the conversations between teams. But holding onto Rios no matter the haul was never a good idea.

Come 2015, Dunn, Konerko, and Floyd will be off the books, now Rios and Peavy and Crain and Thornton are. Frankly they will have a whole lot of payroll to add pieces to what hopefully is a good young core that they develop in 2014. The only true bad contract still left will be John Danks'.

In fact in 2014 only Dunn and Danks (and Keppinger but a smaller amount) will be stealing money, but I hope the Sox don't think that means 2014 is the year to go for it. I hope they use that year to pick up as much young talent as they can (maybe deal Ramirez?) and then use all the 'free' payroll to sign guys for 2015 and beyond. And be smarter about it.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't disagree that rios wouldn't have helped all that much in '14 and i know we aren't privy to all the inner workings of deals but i stand by my contention that he was worth more and that the sox brass simply do NOT know how to wheel and deal. they get taken about 80% of the time! they simply gave rios away. anyone who thinks l. garcia is a major leaguer is thinking with their hearts and not their heads.

my major concern is that even tho the players change .... the brass has not. i still question who will really be in charge ... kw or hahn. their whole baseball philosophy is in question imo. and they both still want an ignorant manager to run the team on the field!

i will admit i am not happy with how things got this way nor with how they intend to fix it. i have never seen them develop young players ... have you? who have they developed? not ONE GUY on that team falls under that heading sans pitching. only the pitching part 'seems' to have promise and as we've seen, pitching alone won't cut it. they can't develop a catcher, a 2nd baseman, a 3rd baseman or any outfielders. and they've not developed ramirez or viciedo or de aza as far as i can tell. so why are we talking so positively about them "developing" all this young talent?

it's all well and good to just say ... "ok, they're getting rid of all these bad contracts" and presume everything should be fine. problem is ... the people calling the shots ARE the ones who buried the team with bad contracts and failed miserably at developing their free agent pickups!

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't disagree that rios wouldn't have helped all that much in '14 and i know we aren't privy to all the inner workings of deals but i stand by my contention that he was worth more and that the sox brass simply do NOT know how to wheel and deal. they get taken about 80% of the time! they simply gave rios away. anyone who thinks l. garcia is a major leaguer is thinking with their hearts and not their heads.

my major concern is that even tho the players change .... the brass has not. i still question who will really be in charge ... kw or hahn. their whole baseball philosophy is in question imo. and they both still want an ignorant manager to run the team on the field!

i will admit i am not happy with how things got this way nor with how they intend to fix it. i have never seen them develop young players ... have you? who have they developed? not ONE GUY on that team falls under that heading sans pitching. only the pitching part 'seems' to have promise and as we've seen, pitching alone won't cut it. they can't develop a catcher, a 2nd baseman, a 3rd baseman or any outfielders. and they've not developed ramirez or viciedo or de aza as far as i can tell. so why are we talking so positively about them "developing" all this young talent?

it's all well and good to just say ... "ok, they're getting rid of all these bad contracts" and presume everything should be fine. problem is ... the people calling the shots ARE the ones who buried the team with bad contracts and failed miserably at developing their free agent pickups!

All good points, and the post-2005 mess the team has been in does call for some pessimism. But the GM is still new (Hahn), let's see what happens. At least they are finally realizing they have to tear it down and start over, where before they would just keep guys, and sign (badly) other guys, and try to compete each year with mediocrity. My dad summed it up with "you can't rebuild, with the Cubs no one will come to the park". Well, they realized that no one comes to the park to see 80 win teams either.

And they have developed some guys into decent ML players. Beckham may be finally realizing his potential, Ramirez is no Allstar but a 2-3 WAR player isn't that bad, etc.

So perhaps the team needs new ownership, but it's not happening, and no amount of typing here will change it. At least be encouraged that they are finally doing what's necessary.

Last edited by a moderator: